ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Alarm recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2017, 11:12 PM
JayDeeMessTeye
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm recommendations

Hi guys long time lurker and new member here.

Finally fulfilling my dream of buying an Impreza and talked myself into getting a JDM car and need now to get an alarm and immobiliser fitted. Was looking at the Sigma unit that I understand comes on the UK cars? Other recommendation was a Toad ai606?

Was also hoping people had some recommendations for alarm fitters either around Bedford or south London/Surrey or Middlesex area?

Cheers
Old 24 December 2017, 11:31 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I binned the sigma thing on my blob in favour of having a Clifford Concept 650 fitted.

Found a mobile fitter on ebay up my way that did the whole thing, at my house, for £350 fitted and couldnt be happier. Unfortunately he's Yorks/Lincs based, but theres bound to be someone local to you that does similar.
Old 24 December 2017, 11:55 PM
JayDeeMessTeye
Scooby Newbie

I've heard bad things about Cliffords being overly sensitive but the brand does seem to have a strong reputation. Most people seem to say that often it is down to poor fitting.

Anyone had any experience with bigger national companies? Some seem to say avoid? Am I correct in thinking they just supply the alarm and then contract out to a local fitter who could be any old bodge job bloke?
Old 25 December 2017, 06:45 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Any alarm made from Directed electronics i.e CLIFFORD.VIPER.AVITAL etc....will be perfect as they are made with quality alarm electronics and offer you the newest features and lifetime guarantee if fitted by an accredited professional installer.I have had a Clifford car alarm for the last 15 years fitted to my Subaru and its been"problem free".SJ.
Old 25 December 2017, 07:37 AM
Lefty1
Scooby Regular

Had a toad ai060 fitted to my import and it does everything you need, had the same one on my last car too with no issues, if you go on the toad website they list authorised fitters so should be able to find one local to you.
Old 25 December 2017, 07:53 AM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m from the Bedford area and own a JDM STI looking for the same thing but struggling to find a decent fitter local. I’ve had dealing with Autotronics (London Rd) before and will NEVER use them again. Complete cowboys in everything they do and surprised to see them still in business tbh. It’s no help on finding a good fitter but at least one to potentially avoid.

A lot of the alarms companies online appear to be part of the same organisation and when I enquiry I always seem to be told to speak to the same guy, who is very difficult to obtain. Worrying if when an alarm is fitted a problem comes up and I can’t get hold of him.
Old 26 December 2017, 02:41 PM
Harris classic
Scooby Regular

I've just had a hornet Maxx 1 installed on my classic. Would love to say how good it is but I havent got my car back from the garage yet. But the reviews for the hornet where just as good as the Clifford
Old 26 December 2017, 05:36 PM
big_rob_sydney
Scooby Regular

Just to add, I previously has an alarm system installed which had a tracker as well. This was on an R1 I had. The bike was stolen from South Harrow and recovered by the police same day in a garage near Heathrow, and in the process, they found it along with around 20 stolen bikes.

This was a professional gang, who have been dismantled, and many owners got their bikes, etc back.

This same bike was attempted to be stolen a few months later, except I got the phone call within 30 seconds of the alarm activating from the tracking company. I was able to apprehend the thief myself.

I would have no hesitation recommending you to get a tracker as well, if only because it may take out a gang of scumbags who probably deserve to rot in hell, and with any luck, will also help reunite owners of other stolen property with their cars / bikes / etc.

One thing worth mentioning is there's a Thatcham level 6 and 7, where 6 is GPS, and 7 goes a little bit further. I'm certainly no expert in this (only know what I read), but theres bound to be people that can help further if you're interesting in this.