ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2017, 04:34 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike rack

Has anyone used a universal bike rack on the back of a newage saloon? Getting back into mountain biking and can use works van but on the odd weekend i cant id like to be able to still get up cannock chase. Dont know if they fit or if any damage will be caused to my car etc.
Old 27 October 2017, 12:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Best with roof bars. The universal rear mounted ones are not as secure and raise fuel consumption far more than roof bars.
Old 27 October 2017, 12:33 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I've seen a OEM surf board holder lol
Old 27 October 2017, 06:42 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

I live in the midlands so no where near the sea
Old 27 October 2017, 06:44 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Best with roof bars. The universal rear mounted ones are not as secure and raise fuel consumption far more than roof bars.
Thanks for reply but from home to cannock chase is about 10miles.
Old 28 October 2017, 12:14 AM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

I'd still use roof bars, the universal boot carriers are usually pretty useless and despite your best efforts can slide around making a real mess of the back end of your cars shiny paint.

I had a new age blob saloon with a boot spoiler so had to use roof bars, but I have had a rear mounted bike rack previously on another car so I know the mess they can make.

hope this helps
Old 28 October 2017, 06:15 AM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by H2o-uk
I'd still use roof bars, the universal boot carriers are usually pretty useless and despite your best efforts can slide around making a real mess of the back end of your cars shiny paint.

I had a new age blob saloon with a boot spoiler so had to use roof bars, but I have had a rear mounted bike rack previously on another car so I know the mess they can make.

hope this helps
Thats great thanks ill look into roof bars i think. Thanks again
Old 28 October 2017, 08:54 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Over the year I've had various rear mounted bike racks ranging from Halfords to Saris bones range, in particular their bones 2 carrier which was awesome.

When I went full carbon I ended up with the Saris bones gran fondo which secures the bike via the wheels protecting the frame.

I'm now use the wife's wagon for transporting the bike so I've went with the Thule roof bars and Thule bike carrier, no worrying about marking the paintwork and it's 100% secure and safe.
Old 28 October 2017, 09:38 AM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wull
Over the year I've had various rear mounted bike racks ranging from Halfords to Saris bones range, in particular their bones 2 carrier which was awesome.

When I went full carbon I ended up with the Saris bones gran fondo which secures the bike via the wheels protecting the frame.

I'm now use the wife's wagon for transporting the bike so I've went with the Thule roof bars and Thule bike carrier, no worrying about marking the paintwork and it's 100% secure and safe.
What sort of price am i looking at for this? Really looking forward to getting out just need protection. Looking at full face helmets etc i brought a 2017 gt avalanche to start on. Ive also got a mongoose super tyax but i use that for work
Old 28 October 2017, 09:54 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nortonscooby
What sort of price am i looking at for this? Really looking forward to getting out just need protection. Looking at full face helmets etc i brought a 2017 gt avalanche to start on. Ive also got a mongoose super tyax but i use that for work

For the roof set up? It is quite costly but well worth it. If you're serious about cycling then you won't regret it.

Tbh I can't remember the cost, obviously the Wagon has roof rails as std but the bars and carriers was maybe £350 all in.

The carrier I have secured the bike by the front fork and rear wheel, and the set up has keys to lock it all in so no chance of it being stolen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	71213