Classic Impreza WRX Daily?

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2017, 01:46 PM
longsh07
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Impreza WRX Daily?

Hi all,
Thought I'd come and introduce myself and get a couple of questions out there.

I'm currently running a Civic Type R (FN2) as my day to day car with my 350Z spending a fair amount of time tucked up in the garage. I do like the FN2, it handles great, its practical, comfortable, reliable, quick enough for a daily, gets a decent MPG, and is thoroughly boring... I've been thinking about changing it for a while and I've always wanted to own an Impreza.

Initially I had wanted a WRX STi to be used as a track day toy as well as fun and practical family car but since then I've changed my tune a bit and I'd like something a bit different to the boring hatches and repmobiles you see everywhere while maintain the practicality and fun factor.

Enter a JDM classic (99) WRX that has come up for sale near me which I found by accident.

It looks like a decent car (from the advert) and isn't far off the trade in value of my Type R but a couple of things are putting me off.

1. It's already got some modifications. I like to modify my cars as much as the next person and this one seems to be mostly handing mods (coils/arb/bushes/brace). I prefer to buy unmodified and make my own choices but if the parts are decent and the workmanship good I wouldn't be too worried though wide quality could be a bit harsh.

2. Its over 100K miles. Now if it was a Civic Type R I wouldn't bat an eyelid but I dont know enough about Impreza's to know if the EJ20 is reliable beyond that mark. My head says, like anything, if its been looked after and unmolested (or at least modified well) it will be fine. The internet (generally) seems to echo this with badly modified examples causing problems and some
gearbox issues.

I've done the standard procedure for buying any new car and have looked all over the web for common problems, known issues, and what have you but I thought it was time to get some input from the experts.

So does a high mileage Classic Impreza WRX make a decent daily or would I be better off spending a bit more an getting a modern Impreza? Is there anything specific I should look out for if I do go and see this car other than rusty arches/windscreen, cracked coolant pipes, noisy gearbox bearings?