Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic V5/6 STI Type RA - Daily (ish) driver?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2007, 10:54 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Classic V5/6 STI Type RA - Daily (ish) driver?

Got a UK Turbo and want something a little more rare/special and having a look at the above car hopefully this weekend.

Its the one I really want - sonic blue, blue seats, roof vent, DCCD etc etc.

I'll use it frequently during the summer and now and again during winter (As I do now with my UK Turbo)

What I'm worried about is as its a more highly strung car than mine can it be used as a daily if I need to?

Seems all OK and servicing is spot on and I'm waiting for a garage to come back to me that know the car so apart from bad luck I don't think its a dud.

Just concerned with using it day to day as its not really a day to day car.

Hope a bit of the above makes sense
Old 24 January 2007, 11:03 AM
WetPatch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get it mapped and it should b fine.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:06 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

I don't see any problem with using it as a day to day car but depends on your own preferences................

My STI RA has a full coilover set up and is a very harsh ride, plus it's got an awful padal clutch which is horrid in traffic, it rattles and is a real bone shaker but that's the way I like it I didn't buy the scoob for it's creature comforts or pleasant ride

Chris
Old 24 January 2007, 11:07 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WetPatch
Just get it mapped and it should b fine.
Good point, a remap for uk fuel is a must
Old 24 January 2007, 11:48 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Plan to get it mapped ASAP. Won't believe it but for the size of the town I live in the only place with SUL fuel is Tesco.

So, yes, best get it mapped to Tesco SUL.

Having said that my TEK'd UK Turbo seems quite happy on it. Knocklink doesn't light up even when giving it a bit.

Want to keep it as standard as possible. Done the modding thing and TBH apart from wheels, I'm not going to bugger with it. Wish I'd left mine alone now.
Old 24 January 2007, 12:24 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

I think an exhaust, fuel pump and remap is a must - should see you to about 320bhp and it will go like a rocket

No need to go beyond that imho as it will spoil the characteristics of the car.............

Remember that the gearing on the ra's is very short........motorway driving is not much fun

Awesome cars, best scoob I've ever owned

Chris
Old 24 January 2007, 12:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

My beef with using it every day would be the costs of fuel and servicing. I used to have an S2000 and the daily hack is a 1.1 fiesta. I took the scooby to work yesterday (23m each way) and was absolutely gobsmacked at what it used

Trending Topics

Old 24 January 2007, 12:52 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
My beef with using it every day would be the costs of fuel and servicing. I used to have an S2000 and the daily hack is a 1.1 fiesta. I took the scooby to work yesterday (23m each way) and was absolutely gobsmacked at what it used
Very True

If I give it stick everywhere (which I normally do as the gearing is soooooooooooo low that it's always begging to go - 3K revs in 3rd gear is about 25-30 mph in mine ) I will normally get 160-200 miles to a tank.

Only time I've done a long motorway trip I got about 230 miles

Chris
Old 24 January 2007, 01:35 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping I dont get in it and realise its going to be too raw for me. I've taken off my loud exhaust and gone back to my humble OE dump valve too. Like the DV noise but drives much better with re-circ.

Gearing does worry me a little but I don't do many motorway miles. Only time its likely to set foot outside West/South Wales is for things like Traxx or Japfest (nothing that requires me to venture too far from the M4 )

Back and for to work is about 5 minutes (20 mins walk during the summer with a quick stop to drop the nipper off at school on the way. )

Is it going to be very different from my UK Turbo? (or is that a silly question?)
Old 24 January 2007, 02:05 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't be much different..............a bit more raw but not so bad that you couldn't live with it on a day to day basis especially as you only have a short journey
Old 24 January 2007, 03:39 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Depends on how many miles you do in each trip. You might see up to 50 miles less per tank, the gearing is a pain for motorways and the dccd I also found a chore. If most of the trips you do are 20 miles or less (which mine were) then it's no problem at all.
Old 24 January 2007, 03:51 PM
wrx_driver
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EddScott
I'm hoping I dont get in it and realise its going to be too raw for me. I've taken off my loud exhaust and gone back to my humble OE dump valve too. Like the DV noise but drives much better with re-circ.

Gearing does worry me a little but I don't do many motorway miles. Only time its likely to set foot outside West/South Wales is for things like Traxx or Japfest (nothing that requires me to venture too far from the M4 )

Back and for to work is about 5 minutes (20 mins walk during the summer with a quick stop to drop the nipper off at school on the way. )

Is it going to be very different from my UK Turbo? (or is that a silly question?)

Not as refined as a UK one, but much more fun.

As said, the gearing is a pain on Mways, but great everywhere else.

Watch for the DCCD, in open you are pretty much RWD & it's a bit of a shock when you boot it in the wet & the tail comes round!

More info here Welcome to Type-RA.co.uk - Home of the Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, Impreza WRX STi Type RA, Impreza Type RA V Limited, Scooby V. Ltd
Old 25 January 2007, 09:59 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the link.

Just registered on Type RA.

Not making any fast decisions unitl I see the thing and drive it. Slightly concerned that its got an APEXI AFC. Fuel and boost fiddlers worry me if I don't know the reasons for fitting.
Old 25 January 2007, 11:57 AM
Adam B
Scooby Regular

Well I had similar reservations when I went from a UK turbo to a
VI RA limited some 6 or so year ago... really needn't have worried

Used it for daily commuting, even used it for a trip to Scotland ... no
problems or issues at all

Has to be said that I now use a 205 Mi16 or commuting but that's just
because I intend on keeping the RA for a long time ...