Bug Wrx

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2017, 08:13 PM
NickR85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug Wrx

Hi

Haven't been on here much lately as I bought a F31 330d BMW. I'm in the market for a scooby as a second car for a bit of summer fun. It will only be used at the weekends, etc.

I am currently looking at a 2002 Impreza Wrx which is in very good condition with some nice mods. Is there anything I should be looking out for?

My budget is around 4-5k.

Cheers

Nick
Old 16 February 2017, 09:24 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you can go for a STi as stronger engine, gearbox and better suspension. dependant on the Mods on the WRX you are looking at.
Old 16 February 2017, 09:47 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 360ste
If you can go for a STi as stronger engine, gearbox and better suspension. dependant on the Mods on the WRX you are looking at.
Are there any good Bug STi's for that money that have not been to the moon or driven through Halfords?
Old 16 February 2017, 10:25 PM
NickR85
Scooby Regular

I'm ashamed to say that I also am not that up on the classics, e.g the differences between the V4,V5 etc.
Old 17 February 2017, 05:38 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Considering you've already got a 330d a wrx seems a bit of a strange choice for a second 'fun' car, I would have thought your 330 is already faster and probably more of an 'involving' drive.
Old 17 February 2017, 07:52 AM
mikejenkins
Scooby Regular

A diesel 3 series is about as far away from "involving" as you can imagine. I normally have an Impreza knocking around as a "fun" car against generally much more technically capable daily cars, there is just something about them.

OP - I have just bought a 2003 Blob WRX, it's a bit rough around the edges but not rusty, has been properly serviced and has low-ish mileage and I paid 4K for it (possibly a bit too much). It's almost stock and that's how it will stay, as mentioned above it might be worth saving a bit extra and getting an STI if you want a modded one - personally I am never comfortable with cars that have been heavily modified by someone else.

Last edited by mikejenkins; 17 February 2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 17 February 2017, 08:19 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by NickR85
I'm ashamed to say that I also am not that up on the classics, e.g the differences between the V4,V5 etc.
The UK had the plain, poorly equipped, under powered 2000 Turbo AWD - it is how they kept it cheap.

The Japanese had much better toys, your starter for 10!

http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-timeline/
http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-timeline-gd-gg/
Old 17 February 2017, 09:56 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Ignore mileage buy on condition. PPP or a remap is a must as the performance is very much muted as stock. Brakes are poor as are headlights. Easily remedied for a small outlay. Listen for knocks/banged when driving. Budget for new shocks/bushes if so. Decent tyres and alignment is important. Look for rusty arches and around windscreens. They are very easy to work on so you can save a lot if doing work/maintenance yourself. Budget maybe £1k for 1st 12months in order to bring everything up to scratch (full service, tyres, preventative maintenance etc). After the initial expense, they should be reliable and cheap to run.
Old 17 February 2017, 10:33 AM
NickR85
Scooby Regular

The BMW is actually surprising, it's a 330d Msport + with adaptive suspension and AC Schnitzer springs so it can handle the back roads he very best.

I have always had a notion for the Impreza but just couldn't justify it until now. I know people say I should go for the STi but as it is a second car so I can't really justify the additional outlay.

The one I'm looking at has a bigger turbo, upgraded fuel pump and sti interior. It's also running around the 320 mark.

Bodywork is very good and all dents etc have been removed.

Last edited by NickR85; 17 February 2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 17 February 2017, 05:57 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
The UK had the plain, poorly equipped, under powered 2000 Turbo AWD - it is how they kept it cheap.

The Japanese had much better toys, your starter for 10!

http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-timeline/
http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-timeline-gd-gg/
The BMW is actually surprising, it's a 330d Msport + with adaptive suspension and AC Schnitzer springs so it can handle the back roads he very best.

I have always had a notion for the Impreza but just couldn't justify it until now. I know people say I should go for the STi but as it is a second car so I can't really justify the additional outlay.

The one I'm looking at has a bigger turbo, upgraded fuel pump and sti interior. It's also running around the 320 mark.

Bodywork is very good and all dents etc have been removed.
Service history and who did the work would be my first question.
Followed by how are the clutch and gearbox. What turbo is it?
Old 17 February 2017, 09:07 PM
NickR85
Scooby Regular

VF34 Turbo, Bigger Fuel pump, full turbo back exhaust, STI pink clutch injectors, custom map, rebuilt gearbox (3k ago), new Excedy clutch (3k ago).

Blob eye STI springs and shocks.

Body has STI front bumper, HT Autos front splitter, shortened plates, STI bonnet scoop, JDM black projector headlights, colour coded skirts with HT Autos extensions, HT Autos rear diffuser, STI Rear spoiler. All new exterior badges. All dents removed.

Both back arches and the c- brace have already been repaired.

The interior has been replaced with Blobeye STI front and rear seats and door cards, genuine STI clocks with functioning factory shift light coded in etc, new pioneer touchscreen, Bluetooth double din head unit, new STI mats etc throughout. Later blob eye steering wheel.
Old 18 February 2017, 10:29 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Change the springs/shocks for WRX ones; it will ride better.
Old 18 February 2017, 05:25 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

VF34 Turbo, Bigger Fuel pump, full turbo back exhaust, STI pink clutch injectors, custom map, rebuilt gearbox (3k ago), new Excedy clutch (3k ago).

Blob eye STI springs and shocks.

Body has STI front bumper, HT Autos front splitter, shortened plates, STI bonnet scoop, JDM black projector headlights, colour coded skirts with HT Autos extensions, HT Autos rear diffuser, STI Rear spoiler. All new exterior badges. All dents removed.

Both back arches and the c- brace have already been repaired.

The interior has been replaced with Blobeye STI front and rear seats and door cards, genuine STI clocks with functioning factory shift light coded in etc, new pioneer touchscreen, Bluetooth double din head unit, new STI mats etc throughout. Later blob eye steering wheel.
Just being nosey but how much are you paying?
Old 18 February 2017, 05:36 PM
NickR85
Scooby Regular

I would love a blob eye sti but the budget won't stretch that far for a second car unfortunately.
Old 18 February 2017, 10:49 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

what about a jdm bugeye sti wagon ?
Old 18 February 2017, 10:55 PM
NickR85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
what about a jdm bugeye sti wagon ?
No thanks, I already have the BMW touring so want a saloon Impreza.
Old 19 February 2017, 07:40 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some things to watch out for.
Newage 4 pot calipers are prone to seizing. And aren't all that great even when new. Rocker cover gaskets weep and can drip oil onto the exhaust system. The radiator core can collapse and block. All newage shocks can knock. Even if there is no noise check the see if the struts have been greased in order to stop the sound.
As the car has been modified I'd want to see lots of servicing, preferably 6 monthly oil changes. Personally I'd also want to know who did the work.