Sponsored by:

Two jag's left jab!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2001, 10:46 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Anyone else see Prescott's left jab on the news (admittedly, the guy he 'allegedly' hit had 'alledgedly' just thrown an egg at him).

OK, so it isn't really scooby related, but I reckon the M4 bus lane may have one less supporter in the cabinet once Tony's seen the video.

Maybe the election isn't all tied up after all......
Old 16 May 2001, 11:05 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

edited cause I can't remember how to post pics
Old 16 May 2001, 11:07 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Old 16 May 2001, 11:07 PM
ChrisB

Andy, the slash in the last [img/] should be before the img

I reckon Prescott should be the number 1 contender for the WBO Heavy weight title

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 16 May 2001).]
Old 16 May 2001, 11:10 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

cheers Chris
Old 16 May 2001, 11:33 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Respect for the big man in the suit!

The guy in the blue shirt deserved it - check out the mullet he has!
Old 17 May 2001, 01:07 AM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Red face

and you think we yanks are bad!!!

j.
Old 17 May 2001, 03:57 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

A yank would have thrown a 9MM
Old 17 May 2001, 06:34 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Prescott is firstly a person (or two persons) and then secondly a politician.

Good on him for smacking taffy. Though an upper cut would surely have been more effective.

Would anyone on here not have done the same if someone lobbed something at them from close range?

S.
Old 17 May 2001, 08:00 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but look at it.
It was a limpy wristed poxy little effort from 2 jags.

Bout the same as their policies I guess.

Mr Farmer, try a petrol bomb next time while you can still afford to buy the petrol to put in it!

robski
Old 17 May 2001, 01:14 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

That left jab woulda knocked out Lennox Lewis!! What a d1ck!!!

Hope he gets the boot or at least a GBH rap. If i wacked someone on telly id expect to get thrown in the nick at least!

Jza
Old 17 May 2001, 02:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

After seeing it, someone from the Beeb made the comment that the egg could have felt like a punch as it was from about three feet away and landed on his (facial) cheek from behind his line of sight.

Much as I hate to defend the git, he may be justified...
Old 17 May 2001, 03:25 PM
Bosozoku
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

and <I>this</I> one's for the M4 bus lane, ya fat ******!
Old 17 May 2001, 04:29 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

No matter how much I like to see people who deserve it, get punched, how can this be justifiable !! Self defence - rubbish !

Is it ok to punch somebody for cutting you up on the road ? Of course not. Retaliation is never right. If the Taff is arrested so should Fatty 2 Jags.
Old 17 May 2001, 04:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm with TRIGGER on this one. The fat git should be at least cautioned. He is a public figure, and knows he is not well liked, thus he should exercise even more restraint than us mere mortals.

If it was a joe public vs joe public thump then the cops would no doubt have stepped in and arrested the guy that threw the punch.

Personally I think the guy should have kicked the fat sod in the *****, if he has any
Old 17 May 2001, 07:57 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Smile

get it in context folks

TAFFY : "ok fat man how d u rate u r chances at the next general election"?
PRESCOT : BANG (as he lands 1 on taffy)
POLICE : " Wot was all that about "
PRESCOT : " didn`t any1 ever tell u actions speak louder than words" ?
POLICE : " Yeah why"?
PRESCOT : " Coz i recon we got a knockout chance" .... " didn`t like the way leek muncher woz lookin @ me jag anyway bloody 60`s kickback hippy pesant"

Hey b 4 any Welsh peebs start if any of u know this guy shake his hand from me. And John if u r readin this it wozn`t me big guy

1 question 4 John "Marciano" Prescot though, does the new Labour manifesto state if u don`t like the look of some1 punch their pu55 ?

Pete
Old 17 May 2001, 09:19 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Old 18 May 2001, 12:05 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

Firstly, I reckon that someone who is in the public eye and holds the position he does should be above these things - it's not the first time a politician has been egged, let's face it, it's an occupational hazard.

Secondly, on the question concerning whether it was self-defence or retaliation, it can be argued either way.

Personally, I reckon he should get some form of 'punishment' for his actions, you wouldn't expect a school's head teacher to punch out a kid that got a bit cocky?!?!
Old 18 May 2001, 11:26 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<B>What would you think if you read this:</B>

A 29 year old whacked an egg on the head of a 62 year old from close range (who was just passing by) and the 62 year old instinctively hit the 29 year old.

<B>I wonder if people would be quite so keen to condemn him if that was all they knew?</B>

I have heard froma few lawyers (on TV) and they have all said that being hit with an egg at 2 feet is assault. Hence whether Prescott overreacted or not, he did not instigate the assault, he reacted to it.
Old 18 May 2001, 11:42 AM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

Good point AWD.
The media would have made most other 62 year olds out to be a hero for taking the same action as two jags.
Many posts on the board are calling for 2Js to be prosecuted for assault, if joe public 62 year old was prosecuted for the same action the police would be critised for it.

The fact is that 2Js is a public figure, and a not very popular one at that, so many people are critical of his action.

He is not my favourite politician, but I do not blame him for the way he reacted, even more so when I see the mullet on the numpty who threw the egg - he deserves a good doing just for that (sorry couldn't resist that last bit).
Old 18 May 2001, 11:58 AM
bros
Scooby Regular

As with so many things, we seem to have double standards.

Most of us would admit that if we were in the same situation, we'd probably have reacted in the same way. I know I would, though I'm not saying that this would necessarily be right.

When a politician does it, we condemn him for not taking missile-chucking as part of the job.

As I see it, Prescott was in a no-win situation. If he hadn't reacted we'd all be laughing at him and calling him spineless. We all claim that we want our politicians to be more like ordinary people, but when one does reacts as you or I would, we suddently throw our hands in the air and twitter that it's inappropriate behaviour for a politician. So when is it appropriate for someone to throw things at you?

None of this is based on Prescott incidentally, though I like and respect the guy. If Hague had done the same I'd have been just as supportive, even though I can't stand the fella.

Bros
Old 18 May 2001, 12:24 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Did you know that Prescott is 62 years old?!! It surprised me when I just heard it on the TV.
Old 18 May 2001, 01:35 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Red face

Mook,
Sorry but your way off the mark, the guy was hit by a surprize attack, not some backchat from a cheeky schoolboy. He neither had the time to think what it was that hit him or know what it was, it could just as easily been a knife, remember the egg hardly left the guys hand. Its an instinctive reaction, too much political input on this from people with other agendas.
This for me is a matter of people standing up against thugs who think its OK to hit people without provication, the guy can think himself lucky he's in the UK as a lot of other places the police would have waded in big style. Supporting these idiots makes me sick, try hitting me with an egg and see what happens, it'll not be a wee left jab.

Regards
Cammy
Old 18 May 2001, 01:43 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ask yourself this ?

Walking along the road with your wife/girlfriend and a guy whacks her on the side of the head with an egg,

Q:what do you do ? Give hims a stern lecture or get tucked in and sort him out ?

A: Get Tucked in !!!

Why is it different in this case ? All normal people would feel justified in doing the above. Just because he's an MP doen't mean he's got less rights than any of us.

Old 18 May 2001, 05:49 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Did you see what happened to the guy who threw an egg at Clinton yesterday? The bodyguards and local police were on him and had him immobilised in a matter of seconds. (and he was nowhere near as close to Clinton as the guy who egged Prescott).

IMO comparisons with people who verbally attack people are not applicable. Similarly someone throwing a tomato from 20 feet away is not the same as someone whacking an egg onto a person's head from 2 feet away.

Prescott reacted instinctively without knowing what had hit him. As far as he knew it could have been a fist. There was no premeditation, just a reaction to an assault (and that is exactly what it was).

I don't like Prescott or his policies, but that does not enter into this at all. It shouldn't matter that he is a politican.

If person A assaults person B, and person B defends himself instinctively, the police could leave person B alone without arrest (depending on the nature of the assault).
Old 18 May 2001, 05:52 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

fancy a go at egging him yourself???
Old 18 May 2001, 06:34 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Wink

or duck the eggs and punch people