Sponsored by:

Should I bother to insure my car?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2001, 08:56 AM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

After a hit and run accident last year i have now been told that the driver was untracable, the car he was driving was abandoned and uninsured in any name the previous registered keeper had not filled in the v5 and the police were happy he was not the driver therefore the police can no longer be of assistance, no longer??
So do the guy for not sending in his portion of the v5.
we don`t want to, they say!
I lose another life on my protected no claims(total loss in 1999 as well means no lives left),My car is now worth considerably less than it did and my premium has increased.
My renewal quote is £1003, i was paying £275 in november 1994 for practically the same car(u.k then wrx now). I understand that the average fine for not having insurance is about £150-200.
I`d be saving myself a fortune if I didn`t insure my car.
I will of course continue to pay for insurance but it pi55es me off that the government aren`t doing more to get the uninsured drivers off the road, permanently.
Old 18 May 2001, 09:16 AM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Moz,

You really need to ask yourself if you could live with the guilt if you killed or maimed someone. The law is a very unfair thing, particularly where the motorist is concerned. You just have to decide which side of the fence to be. I pay nearly twice your premium which really hurts, but it is the price we have to pay for driving a fast desirable car. At the end of the day there are some right to$$ers out there. Best not to join them.

Cheers
Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Hall (edited 18 May 2001).]
Old 18 May 2001, 01:55 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Andy Hall:
<B>Moz,

You really need to ask yourself if you could live with the guilt if you killed or maimed someone. [/quote]

The guilt would be there insured or not

It stinks, but lets face it, unless the cuplrit was speeding the police arn't interested

Driving with no insurance carries an advised £200-300 fine and normally 5 points

100mph on a dry clear motorway carries an advised £300-500 fine, 6 points and a 28-42 day ban
Old 18 May 2001, 02:17 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine was knocked off his motorbike by a young lad in a Vauxhall Nova (what else) who decided to do a U turn in the road on an A road. My friend hit the side of his car and his bike was catapulted into the other side of the raod where it hit a car coming the other way (i.e. he was very lucky he didn't follow it).

Guess what Nova boy decides to do? Stop and get out to see if my friend is OK? Nope he sees the carnage he has just caused and roars off. Now my friend was so p!ssed off at this stage that he made sure he remembered the guys reg number and called the police. Now this guy could have been drunk, uninsured, have no licence etc. and guess what the police have done?? Written Nova boy a letter which he has 28 days to reply to. Mt friend also has a witness (The car that hit his bike in the other lane) and still the police are not really interested. I guess compared to catching someone doing 42 in a 40 this is obviously going to be a tricky case to crack (They know who he is and they have a witness)

Bank holiday monday, driving near Box Hill and there was a police car with two policemen holding a radar gun and two police motorcyclists waiting next to them. Is there really nothing more important these 4 police officers could be doing.

Going to have to stop now as it makes me so
Old 18 May 2001, 03:02 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

it's a game of swings and roundabouts Moz. insurnace costs too much so people dont insure cars and cos of them we pay more, where will it end. another thing that aint helping the inmsurance industry is these fvcking "have you tripped over a piece of carpet at work, yes, well why no sue your employer for £10000" adverts. £939 i paid last year for a car worth maybe £4500 , my house insurance on the other hand costs me £180 buildings and contents. the house has a rebuild cost of £70k and whilst the contecnts aren't that sparkling i know that they are worth more than my car many times over. hows that work then??

my dad was knocked off his bike and had to have his hip operated on a couple of years back, the driver didn't stop cos it would have meant stopping at the lights that were just changing to red. could have killed him, coppers did fvck all and then he was charged £200 for the ambulance. he did manage to get the £200 and also the price of his specs that bust back but couldnt ride his bike for months and still gets pain in it evrey now and again thesedays.

after all this and to answer you question....yes you should insure your car but i can see what you are getting at.

i too am Going to have to stop now as it makes me so
Old 18 May 2001, 05:39 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

it's a game of swings and roundabouts Moz. insurnace costs too much so people dont insure cars and cos of them we pay more, where will it end. another thing that aint helping the inmsurance industry is these fvcking "have you tripped over a piece of carpet at work, yes, well why no sue your employer for £10000" adverts. £939 i paid last year for a car worth maybe £4500 , my house insurance on the other hand costs me £180 buildings and contents. the house has a rebuild cost of £70k and whilst the contecnts aren't that sparkling i know that they are worth more than my car many times over. hows that work then??

my dad was knocked off his bike and had to have his hip operated on a couple of years back, the driver didn't stop cos it would have meant stopping at the lights that were just changing to red. could have killed him, coppers did fvck all and then he was charged £200 for the ambulance. he did manage to get the £200 and also the price of his specs that bust back but couldnt ride his bike for months and still gets pain in it evrey now and again thesedays.

after all this and to answer you question....yes you should insure your car but i can see what you are getting at.

i too am going to have to stop now as it makes me so
Old 18 May 2001, 06:03 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Moz said he is fully insured and will continue to be but is p**sed at those who aren't.

I fully agree that it's a pain in the hoop, the the bab are useless at helping the victims of these situations - those unlucky enough to get clobbered by an uninsured c**t.

Boiling over threshold approaching, time to calm down.
Old 18 May 2001, 06:10 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

mook, i didn't mean Moz was making me mad i meant insurance in general makes me mad. he said he was fully insured but his post title was "Should I bother to insure my car?" thats what i meant by "yes you should insure your car but i can see what you are getting at"

im calm now
Old 18 May 2001, 06:15 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

2wdcossie &gt; no problem young man, I know what you mean