Sponsored by:

2.1 Spec C turbo options

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2016, 06:24 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2.1 Spec C turbo options

Friend of mine is about to go 2.1 on his standard Spec C blobeye and wants to up the power.

His aim is 450bhp with a stock location turbo, the problem is he's reluctant to go fmic as he wants the exterior to remain as stock as possible. He's not ruling it out, and i've explained how it'll restrict him so hopefully he'll come around on that.

I'd be interested to hear what twinscroll owners have gone with in terms of turbo choice to see similar figures.

I realise that injectors, decat system, fuel pump, induction etc will also be required. He has set a budget for it, which can be increased if it means things dont have to be done twice. Plan is to get everything together and do it all in 1 go as the block is already built.

Aftermarket ecu and meth are not out of the equation, but ideally would like to see close to 450 on v power, with the meth as a perk.

Be interested to hear from 2.1 twinscrollers and what they recommend
Old 19 October 2016, 06:47 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm going down the same route next year and I'm getting pulled more towards the lm range but not sure yet...
Old 19 October 2016, 06:57 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

1 of the lads at Scoobyclinic has a 2.1 twin scroll, sc46 with a top mount. Think it did 448.
Old 19 October 2016, 07:05 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you not some sort of tuning expert hammond, the way you go on about peoples cars on facebook surprised you ask questions on here for advice as you always have comments to make about how people have gone about modding their cars....

Last edited by banny sti; 19 October 2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 19 October 2016, 07:11 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

LM450 Billet was awesome on my JDM Blob.
504hp with just bolt on mods.
Old 19 October 2016, 07:16 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
LM450 Billet was awesome on my JDM Blob.
504hp with just bolt on mods.
What bolt on mods if you don't mind me asking?
Old 19 October 2016, 07:22 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to start with I am single scroll, however I have posted because I too have stuck with a TMIC. I didnt want the hassle of a FMIC. So after a bit of research I decided to go for a Grimmspeed TMIC on a 2.1 stroker with a single scroll SC46 turbo, managed a healthy 442bhp with 390ft/lbs. Running on vpower I am gettng 1bar at 3600rpm and 1.8bar at 4100rpm.

I thought you could get a Twin scroll SC46 but I can't see one on the ScoobyClinic shop . .be worth giving them a ring, I bet a twinscroll SC46 would spool at least 500-1000rpm sooner than my single scroll does

Anyway the Grimmspeed TMIC I can vouch for, yes it's expensive, it's very well put together and cools pretty good too with none of the hassle of a FMIC and virtually Zero lag.

Some things to consider:

Getting a Grimmspeed undertray splitter, helps so much with extra airflow to the TMIC, much bigger than standard one and provides a good seal to the face of the TMIC to ensure air flows through TMIC and not over the sides of it.

Fit IAT sensors so ECU can monitor charge temps and adjust timing and fuel accordingly.

Also look at heat management in the engine bay, maybe a turbo blanket, uprated heatsheild, ceramic coated exhaust housing, wrapped or ceramic coated downpipe, wrapped or ceramic coated headers, phenolic manifold spacers, it all helps keep the temps down and heat away from the TMIC, anything is better than nothing!

Just my 2ps worth, hope it's of some help
Old 19 October 2016, 08:17 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by banny sti
Are you not some sort of tuning expert hammond, the way you go on about peoples cars on facebook surprised you ask questions on here for advice as you always have comments to make about how people have gone about modding their cars....
Took my thoughts and posted them.
I feel like posting but I can't be arsed with this eejiaat.
He's quick to talk all expert on FB but always asking noob questions on here loooool.
He's in disguise remember

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 19 October 2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 19 October 2016, 08:34 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi typer99 (Stuart hammond). You're an absolute Plebb. And you know why. Have a good day.
Old 19 October 2016, 08:41 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlesTuna
Just to start with I am single scroll, however I have posted because I too have stuck with a TMIC. I didnt want the hassle of a FMIC. So after a bit of research I decided to go for a Grimmspeed TMIC on a 2.1 stroker with a single scroll SC46 turbo, managed a healthy 442bhp with 390ft/lbs. Running on vpower I am gettng 1bar at 3600rpm and 1.8bar at 4100rpm.

I thought you could get a Twin scroll SC46 but I can't see one on the ScoobyClinic shop . .be worth giving them a ring, I bet a twinscroll SC46 would spool at least 500-1000rpm sooner than my single scroll does

Anyway the Grimmspeed TMIC I can vouch for, yes it's expensive, it's very well put together and cools pretty good too with none of the hassle of a FMIC and virtually Zero lag.

Some things to consider:

Getting a Grimmspeed undertray splitter, helps so much with extra airflow to the TMIC, much bigger than standard one and provides a good seal to the face of the TMIC to ensure air flows through TMIC and not over the sides of it.

Fit IAT sensors so ECU can monitor charge temps and adjust timing and fuel accordingly.

Also look at heat management in the engine bay, maybe a turbo blanket, uprated heatsheild, ceramic coated exhaust housing, wrapped or ceramic coated downpipe, wrapped or ceramic coated headers, phenolic manifold spacers, it all helps keep the temps down and heat away from the TMIC, anything is better than nothing!

Just my 20ps worth, hope it's of some help
Defo that's looks a plan and very well written good info is always appreciated mate
Old 19 October 2016, 08:53 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm running 455/398 Owens version of lm450
Id1000cc hks induction kit
Hks fmic
Rcm headers full 3inch exhaust
Grimspeed 3 port boost solenoid
Perron 4 bar map sensor
Top mount mocal oil cooler
Act clutch billet flywheel

1.65 bar 95 octane/nf octane. Booster
Ecutek remap bob rawle

I don't get the comments regarding the fmic don't be a lazy **** and get it fitted

Last edited by RAGGY DOO; 19 October 2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 19 October 2016, 09:26 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by veerinder9
Hi typer99 (Stuart hammond). You're an absolute Plebb. And you know why. Have a good day.
And...
#hamster
#midland scooby spares
Old 19 October 2016, 11:24 PM
mism
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by CharlesTuna

Some things to consider:

Just my 2ps worth, hope it's of some help
Great post
Old 20 October 2016, 04:16 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

When subaru "expert" tuner cant find the appropriate turbo for the customer sorry "friend" lolol turns 2 forum for advice

Originally Posted by veerinder9
Old 20 October 2016, 04:23 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yellow R
When subaru "expert" tuner cant find the appropriate turbo for the customer sorry "friend" lolol turns 2 forum for advice

I can see a meme circulating on FB ?
Old 20 October 2016, 04:58 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Did someone mentions memes lol
Old 20 October 2016, 05:04 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Show us your work Banny, needs approval on here first.
Old 20 October 2016, 05:28 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs

Show us your work Banny, needs approval on here first.
yes yes do it!!!
Old 20 October 2016, 05:59 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

He has blocked me on fb, if the memes start he will disappear off the face off the earth lol
Old 20 October 2016, 09:13 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Old 20 October 2016, 10:22 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

He has blocked me on fb, if the memes start he will disappear off the face off the earth lol
That wouldn't be a bad thing.