Sponsored by:

Turbo removal (classic)

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2016, 02:07 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo removal (classic)

The car's finally going into my lockup and no longer being used as an everyday. Going to fully overhaul the car so going to be removing the inlet / header tank / rad the lot etc and cleaning it all up/refurbing it all.

Just a few quick questions on the turbo. Whats the best way to remove it? Is there an oil feed line that I need to cap off to stop oil draining everywhere? What (if anything) am i looking for damage wise or parts that wear over time.

Think its a vf24 as ive got a jdm v4 sti, if that makes any difference.

Can't wait to get started .

Ash
Old 06 July 2016, 05:56 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone asks for a bit of advice and gets ignored for over a day because all the members are arguing the toss on pointless threads, I think it says a lot about the state of this place! It's things like this that owners forums should be used for, not talking ****

Right Ash it should go something along the lines of this.......

Remove your top mount, intercooler and disconnect the Y pipe from the turbo, you may need to remove the strut brace to avoid scratching it with the intercooler. Some clear some dont.

Remove the metal turbo heat shield from the turbo

Disconnect the turbo inlet pipe from the front of the turbo.

Unplug the sensor from the down pipe.

Un bolt the studs and nuts across the top of the down pipe and turbo flanges, this can be done from the top of the car, get plenty of penetrating oil on them. Also ideally only use 6sided sockets and spammers to avoid damaging the old rusty stud and nuts.

Get the car jacked up, unbolt the base of the downpipe from the centre section.

Repeat the process of un bolting the lower downpipe flange. A flexi head lond ratchet makes this so much easier.

Finally remove the bolt that bolts the downpipe support bracket to the side of the gearbox, remove the down pipe from under the car.

Lower the car back down

From the top look down directly above the turbo, remove the 3 nuts as you did with the down pipe ones. This connects the up pipe to the turbo
And support bracket

Disconnect the oil feed and coolant lines, when you do have a cloth handy to catch any fluids, there won't be much so don't worry, just nice to keep things as clean as possible

Now make a little space around the turbo, pushing ancillarys aside a little, grab the turbo and lift it up vertically, as you do this the turbo oil drain pipe just pull out of the rubber return pipe.

That's you done!

Little tip, as you remove components such as turbo y pipe and intercooler. Snap a tight rubber glove over the throttle body and up pipe, to avoid any foreign objects going into the inlet or exhaust. Then Disconnect the battery! If someone turned it over it would swallow the glove

Hope this helps, there probably something I've forgot, but follow this and you won't go far wrong.

Joe

Last edited by joe v3sti; 06 July 2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07 July 2016, 12:56 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Bttt
Old 07 July 2016, 09:14 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Joe. Big help!

I know everyone likes to argue and make posts flaming and stuff, but this forum has genuinely been a big help for me whether buying group buys, cheap parts, or again asking for information as there is no real Haynes manual for the car (as far as i can see).

Ive only just stumbled across OpposedForces, so thats a help too, but for the bigger jobs which ill be attempting first time its nice to have advice from people who have been there done that

Ash