Sponsored by:

high mileage and reliability

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2016, 09:20 AM
john_d
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default high mileage and reliability

contemplating looking at a 04 plate wrx, full service history but 140k on the clock, now im guessing thats about average for a car of this age but is it getting to the mileage where parts will start failing or can these go on for many miles more?

thanks

john
Old 23 June 2016, 10:44 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

140K is a good amount of miles,but if it has full service history that in itself is a good indication that it's been well maintained and looked after,parts that needed replacing because of wear most probably has already been changed.As long as it has a service file as thick as an Oxford Dictionary fully documented you should be fine.SJ.
Old 23 June 2016, 10:46 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

If there well looked after you can get very high miles, the boxer engine on paper is built proof. The problem comes when they have been used and abused. If its been red lined most of its life and not been serviced regularly then you won't get to 140k.

If it doesn't have full service history then walk away. Unless the owner is a little old lady.
Old 23 June 2016, 11:47 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Bought an '02 PPP with 120k last year. Now on 160k. Refreshed suspension & brakes (more through choice than need). Changed all fluids and filters regularly. Done a 1000+ miles since Monday. Starts every time and seems to drive fine. Never had anything fail or had to replace anything unexpectedly.Have a very occasional idle issue if sat in traffic for a long time. I have done a lot of preventative maintenance to be fair but then as you see from my mileage, it's a proper daily workhorse for me.

So in summary mileage is pretty irrelevant once they go past 100k. It's all about condition and recent history.

Too add, Ive never driven another Impreza, and no other owner has driven my car, so it may actually be a tired old dog of motor

It is reliable though.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 23 June 2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 23 June 2016, 12:59 PM
irish555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

local classic over here on 185k and goes well no smoke if he told ya was only 100k on it ya wouldnt think otherwise. Great engine when maintained correctly
Old 23 June 2016, 01:36 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Luck of the draw, even with a good service history. At that mileage, I'd walk away from any poor modifications, or any hint of something mechanically suspect.
With any car, mid 100k miles is when things start going astray. Stories of 200k Imprezas are the exception rather than the norm (in my experience), so bear that in mind when haggling.
Old 23 June 2016, 02:32 PM
john_d
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice, ideally i would prefer a lower mile car, knowing my luck ill get a 75k'er and itll go bang the following week
Old 23 June 2016, 02:35 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

It does happen. Any second hand car is a gamble. You have no idea how it has been driven or cared for. Even paperwork doesn't really prove much I'm afraid. At least with a high mileage car, you can assume that someone has cared for it to manage so many miles.
Old 23 June 2016, 03:10 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
It does happen. Any second hand car is a gamble. You have no idea how it has been driven or cared for. Even paperwork doesn't really prove much I'm afraid. At least with a high mileage car, you can assume that someone has cared for it to manage so many miles.
This.
Milage is pretty irrelevant to me, reliability goes hand in hand with money spent, I've spent a fortune on my car but only have some service history from before I bought it.
If I was to sell, a potential buyer should be able to see how well its been looked after, rather than rely on paperwork
Old 23 June 2016, 03:40 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazney101
If I was to sell, a potential buyer should be able to see how well its been looked after, rather than rely on paperwork
LOL,so if you was buying a car you would take a sellers word that the car was serviced regularly and taken care of,even if he did not have any paperwork or receipts for it because it looked clean?.SJ.
Old 23 June 2016, 05:11 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
LOL,so if you was buying a car you would take a sellers word that the car was serviced regularly and taken care of,even if he did not have any paperwork or receipts for it because it looked clean?.SJ.

If the car looked like a bag of shyte (and the owner did too) then I would walk away quickly irrespective of mileage. It might be poor decision making but if I go to buy a car and it's owned by a scruffy bloke with a scruffy house then I reckon the car is probably in the same condition. Tidy house + tidy bloke = tidy car. It hasn't let me down yet but I may have missed the odd bargain!
Old 23 June 2016, 05:24 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
If the car looked like a bag of shyte (and the owner did too) then I would walk away quickly irrespective of mileage. It might be poor decision making but if I go to buy a car and it's owned by a scruffy bloke with a scruffy house then I reckon the car is probably in the same condition. Tidy house + tidy bloke = tidy car. It hasn't let me down yet but I may have missed the odd bargain!
I hear you mate,but believe me when I say not everything that glitters is Gold.SJ.
Old 23 June 2016, 05:29 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

I hear you mate,but believe me when I say not everything that glitters is Gold.SJ.

Very true but I haven't been tripped up yet. Time enough though, I'm looking for another car now and this might be the one where the system fails!
Old 23 June 2016, 05:33 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
Very true but I haven't been tripped up yet. Time enough though, I'm looking for another car now and this might be the one where the system fails!
Hopefully it don't mate.SJ.
Old 23 June 2016, 05:37 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Hopefully it don't mate.SJ.

Thanks, it would be an expensive mistake for sure
Old 23 June 2016, 11:01 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure I'm not the only one who could spot a lemon if I was looking at it?
A couple of simple questions and you'd know right away who you're buying from, and just looking at the tyres gives you a lot of information.
Mot ticket with any advisories, how knowledgeable the seller is, who they've bought parts from, what they think common problems are, all paint a picture for me anyway.
If it looks good it usually is
Old 23 June 2016, 11:12 PM
jonnyricer2
Scooby Regular

I bought a bug eye wrx wagon in Jan it was on 151k it was completely standard bar an silicone inlet hose.

I've done 2k in it all it needed was a pair of wheel bearings service and cambelt belt

The key is as standard as possible with good history.