Impreza 2.0R sport mods

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2016, 06:51 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza 2.0R sport mods

Hello all,

After a bit of thinking I have brought a nice gunmetal gray 2008 Impreza 2.0 non turbo (picking up tomorrow) and wondering what mods would be great to make it stand out a bit and make it my own. I want to know what other people have done and any suggestions.
One thing that I will do is get aftermarket Muffler however to get the rumble I will need to get unequal length headers which apparently cuts the power a bit which is not good especially as it is not too fast to start off with. Is the power loss anything to worry about and is it worth swapping them out?

Wont be modding until I'm used to car but wanna know what you think so thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08 June 2016, 01:35 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd just go for unequal length exhaust manifold, and prodrive rear back box, STI panel filter. Then if you want more power speak to a mapper, they might be able to get more power out of the engine, as there very underpowered for the size.
Old 08 June 2016, 11:43 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with a backbox first to see how it sounds, I personally wouldn't be changing the manifold to get a better noise at the cost of losing power. Then get a Turbo bonnet and STi rear spoiler, STI mudflaps and tint the rear windows and back screen.

job done
Old 09 June 2016, 08:27 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
Go with a backbox first to see how it sounds, I personally wouldn't be changing the manifold to get a better noise at the cost of losing power. Then get a Turbo bonnet and STi rear spoiler, STI mudflaps and tint the rear windows and back screen.

job done
Thanks for the advice, I just got the car today () and I love it! I already have really nice tints on the windows and a turbo bonnet would be nice - will keep in mind.
Old 09 June 2016, 11:35 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Lol any pictures?
Old 09 June 2016, 11:56 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

job done
In the nicest possible way, don't do any of this (bar maybe tinting the windows). Kitting it out like an STi is just daft.

You're best bet is to keep it tidy and if you really must modify it, then go down the road of chassis mods. So stuff like anti roll bars and brakes as these will actually give you worthwhile improvements.
Old 09 June 2016, 08:55 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's my R Sport

Mods are as follows:

Pedders sports shocks and springs
18" Prodrive GT1 Wheels
Afterburner Raptor backbox
Hayward and Scott mid section
Custom Decat mated to a Turbo equal length manifold
Blob WRX rear lights
Sti rear spoiler
Sti twisted sideskirts
Wrx Aluminum bonnet
HT Auto's front lip

Brakes are next on the list.
Old 09 June 2016, 09:56 PM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Lol any pictures?
lol yeah! I bury for a while os ill get em up later
Old 09 June 2016, 10:03 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Thats a nice R sport, have you had it dyno'd or remapped?
Old 09 June 2016, 10:48 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by neil-h
In the nicest possible way, don't do any of this (bar maybe tinting the windows). Kitting it out like an STi is just daft.

You're best bet is to keep it tidy and if you really must modify it, then go down the road of chassis mods. So stuff like anti roll bars and brakes as these will actually give you worthwhile improvements.
Oh GC8 Simon I am really liking your "daft mods"
Old 10 June 2016, 05:42 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Lol any pictures?
Click image for larger version

Name:	subaru 1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	20851
This pic if from seller. Its raining here and photos look bad..lol

Last edited by Dazz01; 10 June 2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10 June 2016, 06:46 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why put anything on it that makes it look like a turbo? It's not, just accept it and mod accordingly.

You'll only look like a plonker when a kid in a clio smokes you and everyone realises it's not a turbo
Old 10 June 2016, 08:24 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Oh GC8 Simon I am really liking your "daft mods"
Each to their own at the end of the day but i personally can't see the point when you're stuck with an engine that#s barely able to move the car through the air.
Old 11 June 2016, 06:39 PM
markb5888
Scooby Regular

gc8 simon, cars looks mint, nothing wrong with a wrx/sti turbo rep,, awsome looks and nice sound, but without the expensive running cost!!! WIN WIN,

i have a bugeye wagon, wrx rep as a daily driver,, with unequal headers, cat back ect ect, sounds great and cheap to run ect,,,

mod it how you want to mate,
Old 11 June 2016, 09:21 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Each to their own.
By the time you've spent bucketload a of money on modding a sport then surely a Turbo would be in reach?
Is a sport really that much cheaper to run?
Without trying to offend anybody, Personally I couldn't do it. An Impreza minus the Turbo is out done in so many ways by other cars in the same bracket. In fairness, an Impreza with a Turbo in this day and age probably suffers the same problem!
Old 11 June 2016, 10:14 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm just having some fun with mine and modding it here and there, puts a smile on my face and gets alot of attention, i'm currently saving for an Sti and looking to buy one next year. This is just tieing me over until then
Old 12 June 2016, 09:39 AM
dufus
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't waste money changing the back box until you have had unequal lengths headers made up. Put an afterburner on ours and it has made hardly any difference at all. Even when the back box was removed there was no sound coming from the centre section.
Old 12 June 2016, 09:41 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you buy a slow car and want to make it slower by putting uel headers on it?
Old 12 June 2016, 09:58 AM
dufus
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seen a lot of post saying these are seriously underpowered cars, tbh the 2ltr is running 147-150bhp on a quad cam engine, more then it's predecessors so not that underpowered in my opinion. Good daily drive with a reasonable set up. As stated before we have the rx and the sti. They are not comparable as they drive so differently. Unfortunately you cannot make her an sti rep unless you are willing to change wings, bumper etc, vast expense. We don't have the flat spot that you have mentioned in a previous thread so can not give any advice on that except to say you can reset the ecu yourself without taking it to a Subaru main dealer.
Old 12 June 2016, 10:15 AM
markb5888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gc8simon
I'm just having some fun with mine and modding it here and there, puts a smile on my face and gets alot of attention, i'm currently saving for an Sti and looking to buy one next year. This is just tieing me over until then
completely agree, after all i thought this was a forum for "subaru" enthusiast NOT Turbo enthusiast, i have owned about 5 impreza's over the years from classics gc8, bugeye's wrx's ect,, but love my bugeye gx wagon as a reliably daily driver, great in all weathers and still stands out abit! and makes me smile
Old 12 June 2016, 10:21 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markb5888
gc8 simon, cars looks mint, nothing wrong with a wrx/sti turbo rep,, awsome looks and nice sound, but without the expensive running cost!!! WIN WIN,

i have a bugeye wagon, wrx rep as a daily driver,, with unequal headers, cat back ect ect, sounds great and cheap to run ect,,,

mod it how you want to mate,
I really don't get this logic, it's taking all show and no go to a whole new level. UEL headers will most likely reduce the engines peak output, the STi scoop is going to massively increase drag for no good reason. I'm not sure how it's a win win in any sense of the term.
Old 12 June 2016, 02:44 PM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Headers
Old 12 June 2016, 04:55 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markb5888
completely agree, after all i thought this was a forum for "subaru" enthusiast NOT Turbo enthusiast, i have owned about 5 impreza's over the years from classics gc8, bugeye's wrx's ect,, but love my bugeye gx wagon as a reliably daily driver, great in all weathers and still stands out abit! and makes me smile
While everything you say is factually correct, Scoobynet would never have been born had Subaru not stuck a Turbo on their family saloon which at best is a cheap looking lump of tin which has the saving grace of awd.

I'd love another Turbo at some point but if I find myself in the position where I can't afford one then a non turbo wouldn't get close to the long list, never mind the short list.
Old 17 January 2022, 06:43 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I fitted a set to a non turbo before now, made no distance on power delivery. Sounded amazing though. I can't see how it would effect the performance.

Originally Posted by neil-h
I really don't get this logic, it's taking all show and no go to a whole new level. UEL headers will most likely reduce the engines peak output, the STi scoop is going to massively increase drag for no good reason. I'm not sure how it's a win win in any sense of the term.
Old 28 January 2022, 11:36 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Just found this thread that looks interesting.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/p...ex.htm?t=59112