Sponsored by:

Burnouts in a 22B?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 11:41 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is it possible to sit on the spot in a 22b burning out your back tyres? I was reading some Jap performance mag the other day and saw a pic inside. I was wondering If it was possible or whether it was a computer generated pic.
Can it be done?
astraboy.
Old 10 June 2002, 06:26 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi astraboy

Yes it would be possible, but would be serious abuse!

The centre diff can completely open on the 22B (as with the type r and some RAs) so you can stick all power to the rear with technique.

I would guess the easiest and least abusive (only really to the engine and clutch though, diffs, etc will still take a pounding) would be to handbrake, LFB to lock the front and nail it.

DISCLAIMER, do this at your own risk, etc, etc. And seriously, only try this in an open SAFE space and if you have LOTS of spare cash!!!

Cheers

Simon
Old 10 June 2002, 06:46 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

astraboy, you've got a seriously unhealthy fascination with burnouts...
Old 10 June 2002, 07:01 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Do this instead. Much more fun.
Old 10 June 2002, 07:55 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

So how is that diferent to doing donuts with the rears spinning and the fronts stationary simon? You saying that is abusive?
Old 11 June 2002, 07:12 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

donut allows the fronts to move (there is no restriction on them other than the resistence from the road), and does not burn the rear brakes out. It also requires less gass so less abuse to the engine and heats the tyres up less so less abuse to the tyres. It requires less abuse to get it going also.

so I would say a donut is substantially less abusive than a burnout.
Old 11 June 2002, 03:13 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i am talking more in terms of the centre diff. There has been a bit of debate recently that doing donuts with the fronts stationary and the rears spinning is knakering the centre diff on the typeR/RA/22B. Whats your take on that?

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2002, 03:27 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

it will still place a strain on the centre diff, of course, but will be less abusive than a burnout with your foot on the brake.

You know my staggering innability to understand anything mechanical, so I can't comment on the ins and outs, but from a driver's point of view, the diff doesn't feel as though it is limiting slip any more than the slightest amount when donuting... however, this only means that doing the odd one rather than one every day / week.

It could well be the case though, I've done maybe 20 donuts in my car since I've had it, and the centre diff is not as consistent as it used to be. Although I would personally have thought this is more to do with the amount of driving I do in the wet with it wound a notch or two forward as you can definitely feel the diff working in those conditions, the car is just such a handful with it all the way back in the wet whenever you approach the limit (either on purpose or due to an emergency situation, etc).

All the best

Simon
Old 11 June 2002, 03:41 PM
yoza
BANNED

Red face

Astraboy,
the car your talkin about was a 22B tuned by RC.developments,it was spinning all four wheels at the time,but the picture suggests it was the rears only.Lucky to get that shot really.Ps he has sold it now.
Old 11 June 2002, 03:42 PM
yoza
BANNED

Red face

Astraboy,
the car your talkin about was a 22B tuned by RC.developments,it was spinning all four wheels at the time,but the picture suggests it was the rears only.Lucky to get that shot really.Ps he has sold it now.
Old 11 June 2002, 03:45 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No comment on your mechanical ability mate. LOL

I could do with a session at brunters in the wet to have a proper play with the diff settings on my TypeRA. Personally, i think the centre diff will be fine if your doing donuts with the diff control fully open but can see how it would cause problems once you start to wind it forward. If you had the diff fully locked then again that would be less of a problem as all 4 wheels would then be spining together (all this is on low grip surfaces!!!!) The heat generated is going to be where the diff is trying to control the torque split rather than being open or closed. All IMHO of course.

As to doing the type of manouver that astraboy was asking about, why would you want to abuse a car like that? I can see the benefits of learning to do spirals and donuts as you can learn about the balance of the car from that, but straight line burnouts are stupid and abusive IMHO.
Old 11 June 2002, 03:58 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

john, with the diff lock being all the way back, apart from the visous plates occupying the came chamber as eachother, there is no coupling between the two outputs. so essentially the diff is completely open. This is according to the manual on centre diff control posted in a recent thread. If that is the case, then once the front wheels are moving due to donuts, I dont see what damage is being done except to the tyres.

In the case of making it happen, locking the front brakes means you have to overcome the rear brakes to get it to happen and that is very abusive in my mind!

ps. threads like this hurt, please dont show any pictures!
Old 11 June 2002, 04:19 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

<I dont see what damage is being done except to the tyres.>
My wheel bearings have started complaining
Oh and Si, burnouts on the drag strip can be useful. I only got my Cossie down to 13.7secs for the standing 1/4 by lighting em up like a ******* beforehand.
astraboy.
Old 11 June 2002, 04:45 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

you do get some coupling Adam, through the fluid viscosity, but it's very slight compared to when you start winding the diff forward. This will heat the fluid eventually, but you would have to be doing donuts a very long time to get the fluid hot enough to be a problem IMHO.

As to doing burnouts in a 22B, again, why? it's insane and proves only one thing, that you are a ****.
Old 11 June 2002, 05:02 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

thanks for that john!
Old 11 June 2002, 05:09 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

hahaha

I would have thought you knew the diference between donuts and burnouts by now. Donuts are what you have for breakfast, burnouts are what you have when you try cooking dinner.
Old 11 June 2002, 05:10 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

lol at john.

I was under the same impression as you about the slight coupling at 0% lockup since they occupy the same chamber and the fluid is still connecting them. It makes sense but perhaps is so insignificant that the manual refers to it as 0% coupling!
Old 11 June 2002, 05:17 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I imagine they mean 0% mechanical coupling. The centre diff will still be working a little bit like a VC as the Impreza doesnt have a 100%/0% rear/front torque split when the diff is open. More the pity.

This Centre diff is why the TypeR/RA has more power at the wheels compared to a non TypeR/RA as it doesnt have the front soaking up power to the same extent. If you are on a RR and you were to wind the diff forward the losses increase. It's best to run the car on the rollers with the diff open.
Old 11 June 2002, 06:11 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

LOL @ john

there is definitely a tiny ammount of resistence (god only knows if that's the right term) in the centre diff when it is in the open position, but as I said, it is next to nothing.

All the best

Simon
Old 11 June 2002, 07:21 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

The torque split when open must be in line with the ratio of the radii of the planetary diffs ie 64:36.

I would imagine when the diff is fully locked it is 50:50.
Old 06 November 2002, 05:05 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

oops... thought you said donuts!

[Edited by webmaster - 6/11/2002 5:05:49 PM]