Arguing with myself...

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2015, 09:46 AM
BushyBaws
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Arguing with myself...

Hello

Thought i'd fling this in here as I can't seem to find any place for new people to say hello

Currently not a Subaru owner, i'm on the otherside of the spectrum with my little Arden Blue Astra VXR Stage 2 @291bhp and currently for sale via AutoTrader.

I'm a tad lost, i've read so many posts on here and many other forums with regards to imprezas and i still can't seem to make my mind up what would be the better option.

WRX - people say if they've bought this then they wish they'd have spent more on a WRX STi. Is there any real difference apart from the 6 speed and diff control in-car? Is it worth the extra money or would I be better just buying a WRX and getting few subtle mods along with a remap & slamming on a big-beautiful STi spoiler on the boot lid?

Seen a lovely GB270 for sale, but puts me off as it's only got part-service history.

Prefer the blob-eye to the bug-eye, hate the hawkEye but then seen the gb270 and was like

Bug-Eye sti have so many nice examples and then i forget about the lights-i-detest

I'm 31 nearly 32, Scottish (British if you may so-wish to call me)...ive wanted a "scooby" since i was a kid, people (mostly other non-subaru owners) tell me to stay clear of them as their money pits, constantly fixing etc...surely they can't be that bad? Jap motors means reliability if servicing and been looked after well by previous owners etc...

Don't want to have to spend £100-400 a month on keeping a car on the road just for maintenance...so are they really as bad as people keep telling me (trying to put me off)?

Sorry, big long winded intro for a new member, but if you don't ask you don't get

Steve
Old 10 December 2015, 09:57 AM
Neeko1988
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome,

Im a new Blob WRX owner so cant really comment on the STI but i love my WRX.

It currently has a straight through exhaust, panel filter and remap running 275bhp which for me is more than enough for my needs, i get 275 miles to a tank of v power mixture of motorway and spirited drives.

I have put a STI spoiler on (I know some people dont agree with this) but i like the look over the small standard spoiler.

The brakes on the WRX aren't the best in my opinion but i have fitted uprated pads and stainless hoses and seems much better.

From what i have read if you want a daily driver go for the WRX if you want to track or heavily modify then go for a STI as it has the stronger engine internals, better brakes, 6 speed box etc.

This thread will prob turn into a WRX vs STI argument but the above is my view and i love my WRX, would i have bought a STI if i could have afforded it? Yes i prob would.

Hope this is off some help, im sure more educated people on the subject will be along shortly

Thanks

Chris
Old 10 December 2015, 10:08 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Tbh mate, I'd say just go and test drive everything. It's all personal preference. The one thing I will say is that if you go for a 2.5 lump (WRX or Sti), make sure it has a full service history, get the lowest mileage example you can afford, don't buy a modified one and finally......budget in for a rebuild as head-gasket problems are well documented with the 2.5 lumps. However, it is a brilliant engine. My hawk sti is on 32,000 miles, not modified and still going strong, doesn't use a drop of oil etc.

Best of luck with the search
Old 10 December 2015, 10:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Money pit? yes.

Loses value quickly? yes.

Have you looked at Evos? I would.
Old 10 December 2015, 10:39 AM
BushyBaws
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
Money pit? yes.

I had considered an Evo, but i just don't feel the same urge to have one as I do an impreza

To be honest, 2.5 lump puts me off as i've read a lot online about them failing...plus i do prefer the blob-eye looks wise and i thought STi as the stronger engine overall (as i'm led to believe).

Not looking to over-modify, prefer keeping the cars fairly the same a factory...apart from more power like I got from my current VXR, few subtle mods and remapped.

I just hate how my astra is FWD and it's bad enough trying to get the power down

I am now thinking of EVO's but i just think they are overpriced to be honest, for £10k I could go down the R33 GTR line

Think I'll just have to wait and see until I test drive an STi...driven a few WRX's (standard, non modified) and loved them so wondering if the STi is going to be miles above it performance wise and noticeably different when driving it or not.

Cheers for everyones replies Very much appreciated.

Steve
Old 10 December 2015, 12:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, avoid the 2.5 unless you can afford to have it forged.
Old 10 December 2015, 12:35 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

I have a 2.5 WRX, looked after and not drived like a clown it will last...

Curently non modified mine is on 135,000 and still going strong. there are more high milers out there but you will only hear the bad things

those with good one just dont complain about them.....
Old 10 December 2015, 12:39 PM
BushyBaws
Scooby Newbie

Yes, avoid the 2.5 unless you can afford to have it forged.
I take it uprating the pistons/rods etc is costly in labour then?

What would be a good price for a 03/04 Blob-Eye WRX STi then with around 60-70K on the clock?

They just appear to be sooooooooo expensive on autotrader/pistonheads, nearly all the adverts are traders, so are these the guys pushing up the prices on these sites?

Seen a few from Clives Prestige, but read somewhere else to steer-clear of them. Are there any other places around that sell used wrx's or sti's reasonably priced?
Old 10 December 2015, 12:48 PM
Gooch89
Scooby Regular

Hey mate, I'm over near Lanark if you're ever over this way I can meet ye for a chat and show ye around mine. Might help you make your mind up - JDM Blobeye WRX STI 414bhp/400ftlbs.

The points above are completely valid though, as a daily driver I'd imagine the WRX is a better car to live with, but if you plan on spending a few quid on making it go and stop faster, then the STI is probably the one to have.

I'm on my second Blobeye STI now, so that should hopefully count for something. Done 25k miles in this one since owning it and had no major issues in terms of things breaking - just routine maintenance. The amount of my bank balance spent of modifications is another thing mind you
Old 10 December 2015, 01:22 PM
BushyBaws
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Gooch89
Hey mate, I'm over near Lanark if you're ever over this way I can meet ye for a chat and show ye around mine. Might help you make your mind up - JDM Blobeye WRX STI 414bhp/400ftlbs.

The points above are completely valid though, as a daily driver I'd imagine the WRX is a better car to live with, but if you plan on spending a few quid on making it go and stop faster, then the STI is probably the one to have.

I'm on my second Blobeye STI now, so that should hopefully count for something. Done 25k miles in this one since owning it and had no major issues in terms of things breaking - just routine maintenance. The amount of my bank balance spent of modifications is another thing mind you
Hey sir,

Yeah that does sound like a plan, it's a hard decision and your 414bhp jeeesus! I don't think i'd want to go that far on a car I don't think as i can see my pockets emptying very quickly!

I'm more scared of going to look at a scooby and falling in love with it, full service history, drive it away and then the next day the bottom end goes.

Happened to me with an ep3 type r and the guy had done a midnight flit! £2k later for a bottom end rebuild and i was sick to the stomach i just punted the car and took the hit financially so now i'm more wary and don't have a clue about these cars.

Never had an issue with my wee vxr even after going up the stages, so reliability is key for me
Old 10 December 2015, 01:27 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Money pit? yes.

I don't agree they are a money pit at all! They are fun cars to modify which is why people CHOOSE to modify them. You don't have to spend on them! My Subarus have been far more reliable than any other brand of car I have owned (unless when in the past I have pushed the power boundaries a bit too far). Buy a good one and keep the mods sensible and look after it and you shouldn't have any issues. The mpg isn't great but then my 330S hatch is no worse than my previous 2.0 TSFI Audi Quattro. And in my opinion Subarus have much more character than an evo!
Old 10 December 2015, 01:52 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Scoobies can not be blamed when the owners are incompetent to look after them or take to incompetent garages, having over 30 wrx/sti's I can honestly say I never had a problem till this day, they definetley don't lose as much value as fords/ Vauxhall cars and the imports are now only going up in value up to 265bhp wrx, any more power wanted stick to an sti as there's less modifications involved as the engines are totally different, in terms of a better package to start the sti's on newage have AVCS which the wrx's don't have and the brembo brakes better suspension etc to the wrx's and the interior is much better like the difference between a donkey and a stallion , all depends on what you want mate
P.s WELCOME ABOARD FELLa
Old 10 December 2015, 01:55 PM
BushyBaws
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ZANY
Scoobies can not be blamed when the owners are incompetent to look after them or take to incompetent garages, having over 30 wrx/sti's I can honestly say I never had a problem till this day, they definetley don't lose as much value as fords/ Vauxhall cars and the imports are now only going up in value up to 265bhp wrx, any more power wanted stick to an sti as there's less modifications involved as the engines are totally different, in terms of a better package to start the sti's on newage have AVCS which the wrx's don't have and the brembo brakes better suspension etc to the wrx's and the interior is much better like the difference between a donkey and a stallion , all depends on what you want mate
P.s WELCOME ABOARD FELLa
Cheers Zany,

My astra is a little workhorse currently and does the job a car's intended to do with that little bit of power if needed (when dry haha)

Probably going to be end of January now before the purchase of another car, but will keep as active as I can on here until the impreza's purchased

Not the best times of year to sell cars and i don't want to drop the price too much and lose out on much needed cash.
Old 10 December 2015, 01:56 PM
Neeko1988
Scooby Regular

Touch wood i haven't had any issues with my WRX and my dad has owned a few and never had any issues other than routine maintenance.

As already advised keep the mods sensible, service on time and i don't think they are any less reliable or troublesome than any other car.

The grin factor on the other hand is worth the extra MPG in my opinion.

Chris
Old 10 December 2015, 02:27 PM
Gooch89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BushyBaws
Hey sir,

Yeah that does sound like a plan, it's a hard decision and your 414bhp jeeesus! I don't think i'd want to go that far on a car I don't think as i can see my pockets emptying very quickly!

I'm more scared of going to look at a scooby and falling in love with it, full service history, drive it away and then the next day the bottom end goes.

Happened to me with an ep3 type r and the guy had done a midnight flit! £2k later for a bottom end rebuild and i was sick to the stomach i just punted the car and took the hit financially so now i'm more wary and don't have a clue about these cars.

Never had an issue with my wee vxr even after going up the stages, so reliability is key for me
Give me a shout then if you're around I work and live in Edinburgh during the week then back home to Blackwood (sort of between Hamilton and Lanark) at weekends.

To me anyway, full service history is a must. Bought mine standard other than a set of wheels and coilys a year and a half ago with 100k on it (mix of miles and kilometers) but the service history is a thick as a bible, so I ended up going for it!

Here's what I fork out for (and have had to fork out for since owning it, not including mods):

Oil and filter change - £50 or so every 3000 miles (to be safe).
Gearbox and diff oil change - £60 done just for piece of mind.
Fuel filter - £12 done just for piece of mind.
Replacement MAF - £cannae mind - MAF ended up broken, no biggie and for the age of the car wasn't surprising.
Replacement coil pack - £50 again no biggie, not surprising given the milage.
4x Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 225/45/18 - £450 tyres didn't have much longer left in them when I bought the car so got some decent rubber (do a lot of motorway miles so went for an all rounder).
2x front drop links - £35 snapped one of a big ******* pothole, so did both to ensure similar performance on each corner.

I think that's about it! Not alot considering the type of car it is!
Old 10 December 2015, 02:33 PM
BushyBaws
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Gooch89
Give me a shout then if you're around I work and live in Edinburgh during the week then back home to Blackwood (sort of between Hamilton and Lanark) at weekends.

To me anyway, full service history is a must. Bought mine standard other than a set of wheels and coilys a year and a half ago with 100k on it (mix of miles and kilometers) but the service history is a thick as a bible, so I ended up going for it!

Here's what I fork out for (and have had to fork out for since owning it, not including mods):

Oil and filter change - £50 or so every 3000 miles (to be safe).
Gearbox and diff oil change - £60 done just for piece of mind.
Fuel filter - £12 done just for piece of mind.
Replacement MAF - £cannae mind - MAF ended up broken, no biggie and for the age of the car wasn't surprising.
Replacement coil pack - £50 again no biggie, not surprising given the milage.
4x Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 225/45/18 - £450 tyres didn't have much longer left in them when I bought the car so got some decent rubber (do a lot of motorway miles so went for an all rounder).
2x front drop links - £35 snapped one of a big ******* pothole, so did both to ensure similar performance on each corner.

I think that's about it! Not alot considering the type of car it is!
That is not bad at all, see i am very sceptical about a mileage so high as that...kind of puts me off, but I suppose if you know what your looking for and the service history is there and plentiful then you'd have nothing to worry about apart from me being me and being a total scaredy cat to take the risk with that amount of cash for a car and mileage.

Originally Posted by Neeko1988
Touch wood i haven't had any issues with my WRX and my dad has owned a few and never had any issues other than routine maintenance.

As already advised keep the mods sensible, service on time and i don't think they are any less reliable or troublesome than any other car.

The grin factor on the other hand is worth the extra MPG in my opinion.

Chris
Cheers chris, slowly but surely putting my own mind at ease with purchasing an Impreza, definately going to go down the STi route as i'd regret not getting one and then having to spend the money on a WRX to get it up to scratch with one
Old 10 December 2015, 03:17 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Bare in mind that a stock STi is only 261bhp, which just requires a simple ECU reflash for a WRX to surpass.

To my mind, unless you want in excess of 350bhp, the STi is an expensive choice. As you have seen, the difference between an '04 STi & WRX is what, £4k+? You aren't getting £4k more car or performance. Certainly a couple of thousand spent on a WRX would see you with a sorted car pushing 300+ and with sensible suspension & brake mods done.

It does get expensive once you starts looking past 350bhp though in an WRX, as you'll need an STi gearbox sooner or later, injectors, TMIC etc. False economy to start with a WRX if you have big aspirations. However, I couldn't justify the additional expense of an STi over WRX for a fast-road daily (33k in 12 months) that I needed. Plus I wanted a Wagon and something a little less shouty in appearance than an STi
Old 10 December 2015, 06:37 PM
Khandaris
Scooby Regular

Money pit? yes.

I own both Evo and Impreza.

They are chalk and cheese to drive!

The Evo is terrible as a daily as you will not get more than 150 miles from a postage stamp sized tank. However its definitely the more refined drivers car! When it gets going, its the best all round car. But horrible in stop start traffic.

The Impreza is much better, comfortable 'around the town' car. It is very quick off the mark for getting out of a junction in a pinch and far more controllable.

I say the Impreza is a great daily driver that reminds me of driving a normal car that has a go-nuts button when you press the accelerator. It is also the coolest sounding car of the two. The burble turns heads... the Evo just sounds like its always pissed off!

The Evo is definitely a weekend toy only!
Old 10 December 2015, 06:45 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must agree I tested a rally art Evo 4 before I bought my first scooby it just felt like it wanted to bite my face off the whole time, good car tho
Old 10 December 2015, 07:32 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Khandaris

The Evo is terrible as a daily as you will not get more than 150 miles from a postage stamp sized tank. However its definitely the more refined drivers car! When it gets going, its the best all round car. But horrible in stop start traffic.

The Impreza is much better, comfortable 'around the town' car. It is very quick off the mark for getting out of a junction in a pinch and far more controllable.

I say the Impreza is a great daily driver that reminds me of driving a normal car that has a go-nuts button when you press the accelerator. It is also the coolest sounding car of the two. The burble turns heads... the Evo just sounds like its always pissed off!

I've had both too and agree with the above
Old 10 December 2015, 07:39 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve001
Must agree I tested a rally art Evo 4 before I bought my first scooby it just felt like it wanted to bite my face off the whole time, good car tho
Evo`s don`t handle that well . . .
https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...econds-in.html

Old 10 December 2015, 08:12 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

I would go for a blob sti, or a lower mileage bugeye sti. They seem to be holding prices steady, or even going up a bit, compared to WRX's which will probably all hit rock bottom and stay there for a long time.

I bought one a few years back. Has been totally reliable but there are some slight issues. the biggest problem was the rear brake backing plates, which can be expensive to replace. About £300 in parts and can take a good few hours for competent mechanics to sort (I think its booked at 6 hours?). You might hear a grinding from the rear - gets worse when going round corners. The backing plates corrode and foul on the rear disc.
The other problem was the radiator which wasn't too expensive.
No worse than any other 10 year old car. Actually much better than most 10 year old cars I presume!
I have spent about £1000 each year in servicing / upkeep, and do about 4k miles.

For the prices, you should be able to pick up a decent 03-04 sti for around 5-7k. widetrack for 7-9k unless you are looking for low mileage. I have seen 05 cars sold by non enthusiasts on gumtree for 6k with 50k miles a while back, but you have to be very quick to beat the dealers. I paid 7.5k for mine with 70k miles in 2014.

Last edited by GH80; 10 December 2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: prices
Old 10 December 2015, 08:21 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Khandaris

^^^^^What he says^^^^^^^^^^

Drove my modded Evo VII shopping at Ellesmere Port from Walsall which is about 160mile all round trip, and had to fill up twice, did pretty much a tank and a half!!!
Old 10 December 2015, 08:29 PM
tomk86
Scooby Regular

i think everyone is forgetting the classic
it started it all and really bites - get a nice sti type r and have some fun then spend about 6 grand on getting it all forged and mapped then call me and ill come and rob de lot innit
Old 10 December 2015, 08:37 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

They can be a money pit, but like others have said that's mainly either a) because you catch the bug and soon it won't feel fast anymore so you'll want to 'mod it' for to get more power and the grin factor back (you can get the same feeling back just from not driving it for a while, or by having a boring slow car as a daily driver ) and/or b) because people 'mod it' with cheap parts and/or bad execution and don't look after them. Both of those can be a slippery slope though one is more expected than the other.

The other thing that can make them a bit of a money pit is the fuel usage. If you plan to use it as a daily driver and do lots of miles than you could easily find yourself spending £100-400/month just on fuel...

I've never owned and impreza, but am on my 6th Subaru Legacy - 5 of which turbos (three twin turbos) and I think the twin turbo legacies are even worse than the imprezas on fuel. When SUL was at it's peak cost a couple of years ago I was spending nearly 35p/mile on fuel alone! A few years before that fuel wasn't quite so expensive but I was doing more miles and spending £70-80 a week on petrol. I have a newer one, twin scroll GT now which is better on fuel and it's on LPG too so very cheap to run, but regardless, if you don't need to do lots of miles in it or don't care about the MPG, they're great cars and will give you many smiles per mile. And with some decent winter tyres and a sensible hat, they're epic fun (and practical) in the snow!

Last edited by arumdevil; 10 December 2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10 December 2015, 09:19 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BushyBaws
I had considered an Evo, but i just don't feel the same urge to have one as I do an impreza

To be honest, 2.5 lump puts me off as i've read a lot online about them failing...plus i do prefer the blob-eye looks wise and i thought STi as the stronger engine overall (as i'm led to believe).

Not looking to over-modify, prefer keeping the cars fairly the same a factory...apart from more power like I got from my current VXR, few subtle mods and remapped.

I just hate how my astra is FWD and it's bad enough trying to get the power down

I am now thinking of EVO's but i just think they are overpriced to be honest, for £10k I could go down the R33 GTR line

Think I'll just have to wait and see until I test drive an STi...driven a few WRX's (standard, non modified) and loved them so wondering if the STi is going to be miles above it performance wise and noticeably different when driving it or not.

Cheers for everyones replies Very much appreciated.

Steve
A 350bhp WRX will accelerate as fast as a 450bhp STI
A 300lbft WRX will beat the time of a 316lbft STI SPEC C/Porsche GT4 etc on the 1/4 mile.
A WRX averages 30-35mpg and an STI 18-25mpg
A WRX is cheaper to insure, maintain and run

WRX every time for me, preferably a JDM blob or JDM 2.0 hawk. I'd never consider an STI as they just aren't efficient in fuel economy or in getting power to the wheels. The stronger gearbox, gearbox oil pump assembly, bigger clutch and brakes etc hit transmission losses hard. Not to mention the STI is nearly 100kg heavier!!! WRX has better gear ratios and flywheel for 0-60 launching too.

Last edited by RS_Matt; 10 December 2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10 December 2015, 09:24 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
A 350bhp WRX will accelerate as fast as a 450bhp STI
A 300lbft WRX will beat the time of a 316lbft STI SPEC C/Porsche GT4 etc on the 1/4 mile.
A WRX averages 30-35mpg and an STI 18-25mpg
A WRX is cheaper to insure, maintain and run

WRX every time for me, preferably a JDM blob or JDM 2.0 hawk. I'd never consider an STI as they just aren't efficient in fuel economy or in getting power to the wheels. The stronger gearbox, gearbox oil pump assembly, bigger clutch and brakes etc hit transmission losses hard. Not to mention the STI is nearly 100kg heavier!!! WRX has better gear ratios and flywheel for 0-60 launching too.
I would have put money on it.
Old 10 December 2015, 09:35 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I forgot to add the full fat WRX definitely needs uprated pads, disks, brake hoses and brake fluid!

I've stripped my WRX of just over 100kg and I'm currently running stock brakes and pads and they cope fine on the road. It was the braided hoses and race fluid that helped most with fade so away from those I've reverted back to stock.
Old 10 December 2015, 09:40 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arumdevil

I've never owned and impreza, but am on my 6th Subaru Legacy - 5 of which turbos (three twin turbos) and I think the twin turbo legacies are even worse than the imprezas on fuel. When SUL was at it's peak cost a couple of years ago I was spending nearly 35p/mile on fuel alone! A few years before that fuel wasn't quite so expensive but I was doing more miles and spending £70-80 a week on petrol. I have a newer one, twin scroll GT now which is better on fuel and it's on LPG too so very cheap to run, but regardless, if you don't need to do lots of miles in it or don't care about the MPG, they're great cars and will give you many smiles per mile. And with some decent winter tyres and a sensible hat, they're epic fun (and practical) in the snow!
I bought my BG5 as a winter runabout so I could leave my STi3 in the garage - loved the BG5, stupidly fast when both turbos kicked in, probably quicker than the STi3 from 85 to 120. Might get a twin scroll as my next daily driver, prices are getting more realistic now. And yes, with a full set of winter tyres it was a lot of fun in snow.
Old 10 December 2015, 09:53 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I did a 600 mile commute per week for a year. 500 miles fast motorway, 100 miles Yorkshire B roads. Took 2 full tanks from home and back again. 28+ mpg which I thought was pretty good considering I could have cruised 15/20 mpg slower for 500 of those miles.

Quick Reply: Arguing with myself...