ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

300 BHP UK Sti 7

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2002, 06:45 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Question is - what's the best way of achieving this and who is the most accomplished company to undertake the work? Would be looking for one company to do all of the work, eg remapping, exhaust, etc, if these are the suggestions forthcoming. Must be someone trustworthy, as must be the solution.

Strikes me that if Mitsubishi cn deliver this for their out-of-the-box Evo, from a similar 2000cc engine, then it must be possible to get the Scoob into this territory reasonably SAFELY & cost effectively.

Over to you...

WB
Old 07 June 2002, 07:17 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Safely? Do you want to keep your warranty? Only one then - Prodrive........
Old 07 June 2002, 08:02 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Warrant is not an issue as the car won't be from an IM dealership (will be from an independent UK dealer). Not convinced about PPP (no offence to anyone).

From the various comments posted on here by fellow Scoobynet users the impression is that Prodrive are being clever at marketing an STi PPP without saying what it will be.

I don't believe that £2.5K premium for a couple of fibreglass spoilers on the Prodrive STi is value for money. Jut my pennys worth.

WB
Old 07 June 2002, 09:07 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Most of the hype surrounding the STi7 PPP is not generated by Prodrive - it is generated by members of this BBS

The premium of the Prodrive Style STi over the standard one is £1500 not £2500. Is it worth the extra? Possibly not, but the Prodrive one was available earlier

When you consider a decent rear wing, painted, is about £700, then it's not much of a premium.

If you want 300bhp and don't care about the warranty, just chuck a full decat on.....but beware of the boost spikes....
Old 08 June 2002, 12:32 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Dave, Thanks for your responses. I assume I can sort out the boost spikes through a remap?
Old 08 June 2002, 01:08 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru/stiper.html might be the kind of thing you are looking for.

Cheers

Ian
Old 08 June 2002, 01:46 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Ian,

Have just written to them asking for koshe verification of the 300bhp upgrade (ie does it do what it says on the tin, Mister?).

Top man.
Old 08 June 2002, 06:31 AM
BretMan
Scooby Regular

Dave - whats up with the *issues* about the Decat...

I understand that you prefer the PPP, but you constantly imply that a decat is unsafe for your engine and that boost spikes cannot be addressed.

Admittedly if you do nothing but put on a decat you WILL get boost spikes, but they can be easily resolved (as discussed in the other thread) as they have been on my car.

My opinion now is that the STI7 is no more difficult than previous models to get working well with a decat, its just that the minor mods differ slightly (and it doesn't seem to oil up boost control solenoids either!, unlike previous models)

Its fine to not want to use your car for "experimentation", but you are giving people a negative impression without a basis in fact. Perhaps you should consider a more balanced position?

(Flameproof suit on, helmet on, extinguisher ready)
Old 08 June 2002, 09:35 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Bret

Flame suit not necessary If you re-read my above post, I didn't say the spikes weren't curable, just to watch out for them.

I am not sure this is the right thread to debate this, but as you brought it up.....

In the famous boost spike thread in Drivetrain I recently asked who *had* definitely cured their decatted STi7 of excessive boost spikes. You were the only one to say you had, and at least one other said they hadn't.

Significantly, you are running a stock up pipe, conversely the one who mentioned he is still definitely getting spikes also has a replacement up pipe fitted. We know that in the UK running a decat from the turbo back will produce spikes of around 1.5 bar. We also know that if you add a replacement up pipe it will spike to 1.7 bar or thereabouts.

IMHO, I think you can *probably* control the spikes with just a restrictor change if running a decat from the turbo back, but it will not be so easy if a replacement up pipe is also fitted, as this appears to be the villain of the piece.

I think there just isn't enough data on this yet, and it is too early on in the situation to come to any real conclusion - not that many STi7's have had a decat done, and the ones that have are not running similar spec to get a comparison - some are JDM cars, some are UK so different ECU maps; some have replacement up pipes, some don't; some have Dawes/Unichip/different size restrictors fitted etc.

My advice above was merely to tread carefully regarding boost spikes if decatting an STi7, particularly if also fitting an up pipe, and it is still just that
Old 08 June 2002, 10:48 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dave is correct, the up-pipe seems to be the main villain (main = most guilty) . (on UK/euro cars).

The unfortunate thing is that with a full de-cat turbo back, you really do need to change the up-pipe as well, I'm getting reports back from reliable sources of cars which have been de-catted from turbo back only where the 'catted' up-pipes are getting too hot and breaking down throwing debris into the turbo impeller blades and blowing engines quite spectacularly.

Mike
Scooby Mania

Old 08 June 2002, 11:04 AM
RichiB
Scooby Regular

No problem boys,

the UK STI has no CAT in the up-pipe.

Rich
Powerstation
Old 08 June 2002, 12:08 PM
stoker
Scooby Regular

Chat to TSL motorsport in Nottingham, thay have done a lot of work on remapping and tuning.Plus thay do a great exhaust system.

Barry
Old 08 June 2002, 12:18 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Rich

IIRC we had a debate about this on here about four or five months ago, and the JDM STi7 doesn't have a cat in the up pipe either - only the MY01> WRX does - (of course, Mike knew that and was testing us)
Old 08 June 2002, 03:11 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All,

Thanks for your input. I'm glad this thread has expanded a little into the very areas I want to explore.

The conclusion I am fast reaching is that I ought to tread carefully before completely throwing away my exhaust system in favour of a decatted one.

Coincidentally I spoke to Paul at TSL this morning (what a nice bloke, definitely looking forward to meeting him). He took time out to talk me through some of the issues here. The short of it is when I come to do this upgrade I'm going to go for a rear decat and back box, leaving the front cat in place.

This gets me around the management system error code situ, mot emissions problems, up pipe/down pipe problems, etc. I'm not sure I get mega bhp for my money; however a change in the torque characteristics making the spread more useful, and for longer, is probaly where I want to be.

I'll leave the 300 bhp holy grail until there is a shedload more user experience and technical expertise out there on the STi7.

Please keep the comments coming in. Very useful & thanks.

WB
Old 08 June 2002, 04:17 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

WB

Good - exactly what I was trying to advise - not saying do not do it but just be careful.

Incidentally, running my STi7 with a decat centre and backbox, original up and down pipes still in place, and sounds good and runs well - peaks at 1.3 bar and holds 1.1 to 1.15 bar boost.
Old 08 June 2002, 10:44 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Dave,

YHM
Old 09 June 2002, 11:36 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Bret

Thanks for that. Proceed with caution is the motto

Without a doubt, adding an up pipe to a turbo back decat raises additional issues which are harder to resolve, which was probably what my initial one line comment meant but failed to say

WB

YHM back
Old 09 June 2002, 02:00 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dave,

Thanks, useful.

WB
Old 10 June 2002, 08:14 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oops, quite right Dave, got carried away and my comments bled over into non-STi land.

(It's not classed as a CAT if it's before the turbo either, Subaru class it as a "pre-cat").

Mike.
Old 10 June 2002, 08:28 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
This boost spike issue, i have never heard of it before. Is this just on bug eyes or will this affect P1s? i have a p1 with scoobysport d/pipe mid and rear box
Old 10 June 2002, 08:58 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Boost spikes only affect a decatted STi7 if other remedial measures to control them aren't taken - the MY01> WRX isn't an issue.

Fully decatted P1? Ah, that's a different issue....but there are others better able to comment on this one
Old 11 June 2002, 06:07 AM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

A boost gauge would be a valuable investment.....
Old 13 June 2002, 08:24 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Not heard a peek from Litimports since I asked them to verify their 300bhp conversion. What I was hoping they would say was that:
a) its doable and the results can be proved and
b) its unburstable & stable.

The cynic in me is whispering in my ear and I am trying to avoid listening to him. So who has had this conversion done and what are your thoughts/experiences then?

WB
Old 14 June 2002, 07:11 AM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Wink

Had a quick look in the manual, didn't you, Mike?
Old 14 June 2002, 07:54 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Seeing how HP is calculated, the easiest way IMHO to get 300hp is, to prolong the torque curve ie removing stranglation that inhibits breathing at high RPMs.

And we all know how to do that...!
Old 14 June 2002, 07:54 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

wacky,
a) its doable and the results can be proved
Yes and Yes
b) its unburstable & stable.
I don't think anyone will ever claim unburstable, but, yes It's safe.....

Whether or not you want to go that route to 300bhp is of course another personal preference.....

Matt
Old 15 June 2002, 12:39 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Matt,

Don't mean to be pernickety but have you had this conversion done and therefore speak from your own experience?

Ta chap.

WB
Old 15 June 2002, 12:46 AM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

lets put it this way. Unless Subaru do something quick and produce a 320+ bhp motor, I;m defecting to an EVO or R34.

Why not give the chassis the power it so deserves??!?

Frustrating is n't the word!!
Old 15 June 2002, 08:26 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wacky,

Not me but a friend has.....

Matt
Old 15 June 2002, 11:09 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

WB said:
Not heard a peek from Litimports since I asked them to verify their 300bhp conversion.

That'll be my fault. Sorry. Should have said that Iain is on holiday the past few weeks, think he is back either this week or next.

Yes, it is doable and it seems pretty unburstable (as much as a Scooby is ). I *think* Iain's was running 310+ and had even been quite happy at the couple of track days it had been on. And that is saying something if you have seen Iain drive

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 6/15/2002 11:10:43 PM]

Quick Reply: 300 BHP UK Sti 7