Any Tip's?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2001, 04:50 PM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi All,

Im getting an Impreza next week and I won't lie I don't know an awfull lot about them other than.... there fast, stylish and handle v well!

Any Tips, Advice or other 'TidBits' you care to offer, specially stuff like how long to leave the car idling before letting the turbo wind up and how long to leave it after a journey using boost?

any help appriciated.

Cheers
Dave

PS what does the MY stand for ??
Old 13 May 2001, 05:01 PM
ITWW
Scooby Regular

Hi! Welcome to the world of the Scooby Doo.

First off MY = Model Year, so mine for instance is a MY96 1996 model.

As for advice, enjoy it. Spend all your money on it. And complain about the cost of fuel

Cheers and Have Fun!

--
Steve
Old 13 May 2001, 05:06 PM
drive87
Scooby Regular

Talking

First piece of advice fit a boost gauge that way after a hard run you can do a few miles "off boost" A cool down run if you like to allow the turbo to stop spinning ,you'd be surprised how long the blades spin for.
secondly an oil temp. gauge would help for correct op. temp or else work off your water temp.let it get to normal position only allow a few more miles ,better safe than sorry.
As for MY ,model year.

gary
Old 13 May 2001, 05:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Hi Dave and welcome!
Well where to start, fuel, if your car is a jap import then they will only run on super unleaded fuel, normal wont do as it can have adverse affects on the engine
even if your car is a uk turbo as mine is i would still reccommend SUL over NUL as it is smoother.
Running the car up, let her idle for 20-30 secs before driving off, lets the oil get round the engine then it takes about 4 to 5 miles for the oil to get warmed up, i dont normally exceed 2.5k rpm at this stage as it keeps me out of the turbo and running down, even if its to go to the petrol station i always give it around 20-30 seconds when ive been off boost just to be on the safe side otherwise get yourself a turbo timer either built in to the alarm system or a stand alone one, best bit of kit i ever got on mine, runs the engine for 2 mins after ive parked up
Oils and lubricants.
Sounds silly but fully synthetic is the way to go with these cars, subaru reccommend 5w30 shell helix or 5w40 mobil1, dont use 0w40 as its far too thin for the engine, if your car isnt under a subaru warranty then try mobil1 motorsport 15w50 fully synthetic, its expensive but worth it to keep your engine in top condition.
Wheels and tyres.
17's and bridgestones are the way to go, as many people on here will tell you, the grip from SO-2 PP's are beyond belief in the wet and not bad in the dry either!
Alloys are a personal preference but with 17's you can fit 6pot ap brakes under em, scoobs brakes are good low down but not up at the "higher" end of the range!

Hope that this helps you alittle

Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 13 May 2001).]
Old 13 May 2001, 05:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm did i mention that they suffer from "lift off oversteer?"
best not to brake in corners, dont want the rear passing the front now!

Tony
Old 13 May 2001, 06:18 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by TonyBurns:
<B>Hmm did i mention that they suffer from "lift off oversteer?"
best not to brake in corners, dont want the rear passing the front now!

Tony[/quote]

I'll second that. Get to know the car gradually. It is natural to want to test out the neck whipping acceleration straight away but do it in a straight line! Because the 4WD system provides so much grip it is easy to get too confident too quickly on the corners. The limits of grip are reached without that much warning and the car may behave unexpectedly, typically initial understeer which you want to control by easing off which then triggers the aforementioned "back passing the front"

Also, try to think of many of your components, trim and pannels as being "light-weight for performance" as opposed to just rubbish quality (It keeps me sane anyway!)

Don't believe official fuel economy figures - its virtually impossible to get above the low 20's mpg.

Insurance is getting a bit expensive these days

A lot of your expectations will probably be based on what you were driving before but not many people are disappointed with their Scooby's

Remember to mine Scoobynet for all the valuble info stashed away here.

Old 13 May 2001, 07:22 PM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for the info!

the Car im looking at getting is a UK MY94, it has Gold 17" wheels P1 back box and a HKS Air Filter, FSSH and 98 spec front seats.

How much are the Bridgestone SO-2 PP's (295/40/17's Yoko's on the Car at the mo) well performance wise i drove the car today and was more than impressed! makes my old car feel v slow (Cav GSi
Old 13 May 2001, 08:48 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Any tips?

Dont eat yellow snow!

Seriously, buy as much SUL as poss. and use it. If you are in a relationship, sort out your priorities.
Old 13 May 2001, 09:10 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

You will be the proud owner of a special brightness button be proud M8