Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Should i buy this 98 Impreza wrx sti type - r v4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2015, 08:37 PM
Vatosbart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy this 98 Impreza wrx sti type - r v4 ?

Hey guys,

First of all, im on my phone at work so i wont make this to long hehe.

Im looking for a new car, a new sportive daily driver.

I own a*Toyota*aristo*2jz*gte wich i use for daily driving now (it weighs about 1750 kilos and has 3.0 twin turbo, so i dont really care that much about fuell economy hah.

Becausse of the harsh weather here in the netherlands mostly in autumn and winter. (Snow and rain) im looking for a good to drive, reliable sports car.

I ended up with mitsu and subaru.

I went to this import car dealer here to look at a 98 model*subaruimpreza*wrx*sti*type - r v4.

I fell in love, man that things looks mean!*

It will cost me around 4k + my car in exchange.

My main priority's will be fun, fast and reliability (as of most people choose them as prio's ^_^)

I just got my new house with my girl so i dont want to maany costs on repairs ofcourse.

I drive about 40 kilometers everyday (highway) to work.

Specs:

BLITZ Frontmount*intercooler
Blowoff
18'' RAYS*
Aftermarket adjustable suspensiom
V-Limited STI Roofscoop
3'' Mongoose*exhaust system
STI V6*Injects
Rollcage
Aftermarket*ecu.

The gearbox and turbo have both been refurbished.

Here is the car along with some good pics.

What do you guys think?

http://bpoautomotive.nl/rn2526%20impr.html

Ps: the import dealer is known here as a good and reliable seller.

Sorry for my horrible spelling.
Old 09 July 2015, 09:35 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your after a Subaru Impreza as a daily driver, you want a Newage Blobeye WRX, which is a 2003/2005 car. With a few light handling mods, brake up-grade and re-map or PPP you'll have the perfect quick daily driver.

1400kg 260/290bhp, set of springs from PCA Dynamics, a few poly bushes, STI rear roll bar, brembo or AP 4 pot brakes up front, decent tyres and away you go.

There are other things you can do to improve the handling, depending on preference, but a better daily driver you will not find for the money, which is circa €6000 all in.

If you're after something that goes and stops well, whilst maintaining a reasonable ride and punches well above it's weight, in terms of what goes quicker for the same and considerably more money, there is nothing else out there.

I know this because if there was, I'd be driving it.
Old 09 July 2015, 11:48 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned a 2005 Blobeye WRX with PPP and truly enjoyed the car under my ownership and would recommend it with the addition of PPP. It was well looked after & the present owner has passed on his compliments.

I now own a standard V4 STI Type R and love the car. I have been impressed with how it drives both as a daily drive and on the track, I have done 2 track days.

As long as you thoroughly inspect the car supported with solid service history it shouldn't give you too many issues. As with any performance car not just an Impreza you will need to maintain the car well.

At the end of the day it's your choice, but it is often the things we failed to do in life that we will regret at a later date!
Old 10 July 2015, 06:17 AM
Vatosbart
Scooby Regular

Hey guys, thanks alot!

The new age blob eyes are pretty cool indeed. Though i dont like them when standard. Aand its hard to find one here with some nice mods.

About the type - r, i like the way it looks and the fact its something special and the fact that its an sti with a good strong base.

Though i dont think it comes with maintenance history as its an imported JDM.

But the engine and car looks good.
it has only driven 129.000 km so its a young engine aswell. The car seller insures me that he will deliver the car to me in good running state. And says it has now flaws except for the turbo and gearbox but they have both been totally refurbished and are as good as new now.

The guy is known as a small import dealer with good references and an honest guy that sells good cars with good service.

I think ill take the bet and buy the type r.

If anyone has something to add to this or something to say, please do so.

Thanks alot guys!

Wich
Old 10 July 2015, 06:55 AM
Zuber
Scooby Regular

Hi, that looks like a very nice V4 Type-R, just give it a good looking over! If it's all good go for it,, you will not regret it!!
Old 10 July 2015, 06:55 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Only thing I'll say about the Type R is they are a little hard core for a daily driver, I have a WRX PPP with AP 4 pots and the mods mentioned above, I also have a 330bhp Type R in my garage (Tucked away now ). The milage you cover would seriously influence my decision on which to choose as a daily driver, having lived with both, I love the Type R and the way it drives, but they do need to be driven all the time, long journeys are a total ball ache, 4k rpm in 5th at 70mph becomes very tiresome very quickly. It's a good thing you're not worried about how much fuel you put in it because fuel consumption is horrendous, I have pretty much emptied a tank full in a little over 100miles hard driving (well took it down to qtr tank) which is as far as you want to go when under heavy load and hard cornering, average about 180/200 miles per tank mixed driving.

The WRX PPP is at the opposite end of the scale 28mpg around town and 36mpg on a run and is quicker in most real world driving situations, which sounds strange given that it has circa 70bhp less and 200kg's more weight, but it's way easier to drive it very quickly down a country road. The Type R want's to kill you at every opportunity and you need to be on the ball all the time. In the WRX if you get it a little wrong just ease off the gas and it straightens itself out, do that in the Type R and you'll be in a ditch facing backwards or on the roof.

Anyway that's academic now as it sounds like you've made your decision, just be careful until you get to know the car, and remember "If in doubt, Flat out"
Old 10 July 2015, 07:16 AM
Vatosbart
Scooby Regular

Thanks once again guys!

Is the type-r really thaat agressive?
I might actually like that though,

Before the aristo i owned a prettt agressive r33 skyline wich was stiff as hell!! But i really liked the fact that it was a beast, fast agile and very responsive.

Howmany liters of gas fills up a tank?

200 miles is around 360 kms i think, its pretty bad but i dont think its worse then my 300 hp 1750 kilos weighing aristo atm haha.

And what did you mean with flat out? Just bassicly flat out the gas hahah?

Thanks for the quick responses
Old 10 July 2015, 07:29 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Yeah, keep your foot on the loud pedal or it gets messy, lift off at your peril.

60litres to a tank and you'll use around 13/15L per 100km depending how you drive it, much worse if you're caning it, which you will.

I think it's going to be a revelation for you with similar power and 500kg less weight.

They can be a bit of a hand full, but they are the most fun you'll have with your clothes on.
Old 10 July 2015, 07:45 AM
Vatosbart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Yeah, keep your foot on the loud pedal or it gets messy, lift off at your peril.

60litres to a tank and you'll use around 13/15L per 100km depending how you drive it, much worse if you're caning it, which you will.

I think it's going to be a revelation for you with similar power and 500kg less weight.

They can be a bit of a hand full, but they are the most fun you'll have with your clothes on.

Hahahahh seems good to me!

Thanks for the reply,

Anyway how is the durability and reliability of these type r sti machines?

Its one of the reasons im looking for one, it needs to stay fine even in rain and sometimes snow.

Although i do have a garge so when im home the car will stay dry inside.

Im just not looking for many repair bills etc.

Btw i just heared it also has a simtek ecu, and with the mods it has now i think it will be around 300-350 hp,

Probably around 320 with max vf24 turbo boost, (wich is around 1.2 bar i think?)

Thank youuu
Old 10 July 2015, 08:15 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Should be around the 320/330 bhp mark, which is perfect imo.

Just make sure you find out what fuel it was mapped for and use that where ever possible, don't put 95ron in it and change the oil regularly with good quality oil, I use Motul 300V and change it every 5k miles or 6 months.

Cheap enough to run if you're handy with the spanners for things like oil changes and brake pads, just make sure you use quality products, other fluids want changing about once a year dependant on use. Cambelt is 60k miles or 5yrs.

Rust is the main enemy, in particular the rear arches, small bubbles outside mean totally rotten inside in most cases, metal needs to be cut out and replaced, costs about £1/1.5k here to do a proper job that will last.

Apart from that they're pretty bomb proof, just make sure you don't go over 3k rpm when it's cold, takes about 10/15 mins to get the oil up to 80 degrees, just because water temp is up doesn't mean the oil is. Take it easy for the last mile of any journey, especially if you've been caning it and you should be fine.

Biggest expense is fuel.
Old 10 July 2015, 09:56 AM
Vatosbart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Should be around the 320/330 bhp mark, which is perfect imo.

Just make sure you find out what fuel it was mapped for and use that where ever possible, don't put 95ron in it and change the oil regularly with good quality oil, I use Motul 300V and change it every 5k miles or 6 months.

Cheap enough to run if you're handy with the spanners for things like oil changes and brake pads, just make sure you use quality products, other fluids want changing about once a year dependant on use. Cambelt is 60k miles or 5yrs.

Rust is the main enemy, in particular the rear arches, small bubbles outside mean totally rotten inside in most cases, metal needs to be cut out and replaced, costs about £1/1.5k here to do a proper job that will last.

Apart from that they're pretty bomb proof, just make sure you don't go over 3k rpm when it's cold, takes about 10/15 mins to get the oil up to 80 degrees, just because water temp is up doesn't mean the oil is. Take it easy for the last mile of any journey, especially if you've been caning it and you should be fine.

Biggest expense is fuel.
Thanks alot! You guys are very helpfull

Its good to hear.

Though i forgot one thing,

The car has been standing outside at the dealer for some time now and i did see a little little bit of rust beneath the left mirror.

I told te dealer that, and he said he would repaint the door.

I didnt see rust anywhere else except for the brakes. But he said thats normal for a car standing stillnfor a while and it will wear of when it drives again.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10 July 2015, 10:04 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mine was on 140k whent he engine failed due to wear and tear, i would expect it will need a rebuild/refresh in the next 20-30k.

It's a version 4, has it been mapped for the mods?
Old 10 July 2015, 10:54 AM
Vatosbart
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm,

Hope i wont have the same faith as you.

Yes it had a ecu programmed for the mods, but they are building a new simtek ecu in because the wires from the ecu got cut and it got ****ed up.

Howmuch money are we talking when we say refresh/rebuild?
Old 10 July 2015, 02:07 PM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

I have a v3 type r and engine went at 141000km so I have decided to go with a spec c short block with my v3 heads I'm looking at 2k for my build using up rated head gaskets , up rated head bolt kit , cam belt kit , refurb heads and skimmed , all new fluids and what ever else needs done .
Old 10 July 2015, 02:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty75
I have a v3 type r and engine went at 141000km so I have decided to go with a spec c short block with my v3 heads I'm looking at 2k for my build using up rated head gaskets , up rated head bolt kit , cam belt kit , refurb heads and skimmed , all new fluids and what ever else needs done .
thats bloody cheap, whos doing it for you?

I've gone a very different route, closed deck 2.5
Old 12 July 2015, 05:48 PM
Vatosbart
Scooby Regular

Hey guys, me again.

I was looking for car when i found this beauty.

Indont really like them when they are standard but this one just looks pretty!

It has around 350hp

102.000 km

Td05 turbo

What do you guys think?

Will it last with this much hp?
i dont think the engine is build, but im not sure. Ill ask the owner.

Its a whole different aproach from the 98 sti type r but i love the looks of this one to, and 350hp is just the power mark im looking for !
Old 12 July 2015, 05:53 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Pics of the aristo?
Old 12 July 2015, 06:04 PM
Vatosbart
Scooby Regular