Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scuffed bumper....

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2000, 03:54 PM
Jason L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just washed the car and noticed that some kind sole has scuffed my front bumper.... probably done in a car park...

Anyway.... anybody got any advice on removing the scuffs.... I don't really want to have to get the bumper resprayed for the sake of inch and a half scuff....

I've tried polishing it out and it helps a little.... has anybody ever used that Colour Magic stuff to try to put back some colour on scuffs....

Thoughts and suggestions please !!

Jason
Old 21 January 2000, 04:32 PM
JohnS

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about that.

Is the scuff mark through the paint, or is the paint on the bumper still intact ?

If it's still intact, then a bit more polishing, or very careful use of T-Cut or something similar should get most of it out.

I had a big scuff on my previous Impreza, courtesy of a transit van with bull bars , and by using one of those Turtle Wax Chipstick things (like a wax crayon in a lipstick dispensor), I was able to mask most of the damage, using a coloured polish to finish the job off.

You could still see the marks if you looked closely enough, but at a quick glance it didn't stand out. Certainly saved me a few hundred quid on a resprayed bumper

Old 21 January 2000, 05:07 PM
Jason L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

John,

Cheers for the advice... sadly they have managed to score the paint as well so its not such an easy one....

I've managed to get some of the scuff out with t-cut now but i'll try to get hold of one of these Turtle wax sticks and give that ago....

I think it looks worse coz its on a red car and the scuff is a white colour !

Cheers

Jason
Old 21 January 2000, 05:46 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

Jason - if there was any way you could get a photo of the scuff on here I might be able to give a bit more constructive advice. A friend of mine removed a scuff from my bumper last weekend with some wet n' dry and a power buffer. Its bloody scary watching someone approach your car with a piece of sandpaper! Saying that, he is a pro, and the result was perfect....

If its a 'surface scrape' then lots of ard polishing work and some colour magic should do it...if its more of a scratch, then some clever tricks with a touch-up stick might be in order...
Old 21 January 2000, 07:43 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Angry

some git at work has done it twice to mine in 2 months, taken the paint right off down to the black plastic.

It looks the pits as it is metalic silver.

Any advise on getting this sorted would be apreciated.

yours pi***d off

john
Old 21 January 2000, 10:52 PM
Si
Scooby Newbie

Wink

After a rather embarrasing encounter with a wall (who put that there!), I was left with half a dozen scratches on my bumper.

After a quick call to my dealer they put me in touch with a firm called 'Chips Away'. A guy called Robin then came and made the scratches vanish. £53 all in which I thought wasn't too bad as it took him an hour and a halfs work.

I'm in the Milton Keynes/Aylesbury area. Email me if anyone wants his number.

Cheers

Si
Old 21 January 2000, 11:18 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

My sentiments too...chips away are truly excellent. We've used them to great effect and cheap too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 January 2000, 10:12 AM
Jason L
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys... i reckon the chips away is gonna be my best bet for a permanent fix for the problem...

In future i'll park miles away from any trolleys.....
Old 24 January 2000, 10:30 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

I got the BADLY scuffed bumper (thanks to a supermarket carpark wall ) on my wife's Punto repaired for free!!

I simply got a kind lady to reverse into me a few days later. The repair shop just added the bumper to the insurance claim (hush hush) and hey presto - 1 rear bumper as good as new... plus a new rear wing and passenger door....

Don't advise anyone to try this at home

Paul L

[This message has been edited by PaulL (edited 24-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by PaulL (edited 24-01-2000).]