Sponsored by:

Scratch Repair People

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2015, 10:42 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratch Repair People

My previous thread about scratch repair for my bonnet has now elongated into scratch repair for each panel on the drivers side thanks to some lovely scaffolders.

I have had quotes from Chips Away with a Smart Repair at £320 excluding the bonnet, but to be honest, I really didn't trust the guy to let him loose on a £20k car and he refused to paint the bonnet, only the sides, which means as the bonnet is more in view you can see the problems with the paint..

so I tried, on suggest from folk on here ,Auto Restore, they wanted £500 for the three panels and £250 for the bonnet...as they do an entire paint job.

but somehow I am not sure I am going to get scaffolders/property owner to pay £750.

Has anyone else got any company suggestions or know anyone that does this?
Old 06 May 2015, 10:48 AM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the scaffolders have insurance? Get them to pay for it.
Old 06 May 2015, 10:51 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lunchmoney
Do the scaffolders have insurance? Get them to pay for it.
In a perfect world, yes but they deny they did, despite erecting a four storey, full house surround scaffolding frame next to my car (a metre walkaway in between). Its the woman who organised the work who has begreudgingly offered to pay for it with hate in her eyes....however I don't think she will expect a £500 bill.

I know someone mentioned finding a local Auto Restore person to do it off the book, but havent been able to find one.
Old 09 May 2015, 09:09 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

750 to paint a side and bonnet is taking the p1ss, any body shop will do that for no more than 400 if theyre not trying to have your pants down.
Old 09 May 2015, 09:10 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Its London buddy.
Old 09 May 2015, 09:16 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

I have a friend in the car trade who uses a few painters around Chertsey who appear very good. If you want their info drop me a PM.
Old 09 May 2015, 09:19 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
Its London buddy.
Thats a p1ss take, you could come to birmingham have it done here, stop in a hotel for a few days and still take home some money at the end of it. I need to work out of london me thinks
Old 09 May 2015, 11:28 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Why on earth would you own a 20k car yet let some dodgy chips away guy loose on it. I can only imagine you've not seen the actually finish of a smart repair in the flesh, because you will seriouslt regret it if you do.
They are only really used by main dealers and other traders who are flogging a car to people who dont pay much interest in bodywork.

Unless you go to a proper body shop, auto restore are the only mobile company who can actually do a proper job due to the mobile booth that gets put up and correct equipment used (although it still depends on the technician).
£750 is about right for all down the side and the bonnet if you want a factory finish, which i assume you do.

Im afraid in the bodywork industry there are so many monkeys and a dodgy garages about that you get what you pay for.
Old 09 May 2015, 11:32 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
750 to paint a side and bonnet is taking the p1ss, any body shop will do that for no more than 400 if theyre not trying to have your pants down.
I work at a large insurance bodyshop just on the outskirts of london and absolute minimum we would charge for this at cheaper rates than normal would be about £550 + vat which isnt far off the OP's quote of £750.
Old 10 May 2015, 07:50 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I have a friend in the car trade who uses a few painters around Chertsey who appear very good. If you want their info drop me a PM.
Thanks mate, a little bit far for me, but appreciate the thought

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
Thats a p1ss take, you could come to birmingham have it done here, stop in a hotel for a few days and still take home some money at the end of it. I need to work out of london me thinks
Yeah but I'd have to go to Birmingham.

Originally Posted by Barxy
Why on earth would you own a 20k car yet let some dodgy chips away guy loose on it. I can only imagine you've not seen the actually finish of a smart repair in the flesh, because you will seriouslt regret it if you do.
They are only really used by main dealers and other traders who are flogging a car to people who dont pay much interest in bodywork.

Unless you go to a proper body shop, auto restore are the only mobile company who can actually do a proper job due to the mobile booth that gets put up and correct equipment used (although it still depends on the technician).
£750 is about right for all down the side and the bonnet if you want a factory finish, which i assume you do.

Im afraid in the bodywork industry there are so many monkeys and a dodgy garages about that you get what you pay for.
I agree, it was merely because I wanted to see what they would cost, and at £94 cheaper than Auto Restore, it was a no brainer on that front. It was funny , he wouldnt paint the bonnet, and only the sides so I knew then that his finish wouldnt be very good.

So it seems Auto Restore isnt actually horrically too much, I only know of one good bodyshop around here, Hamilton and PAlmer in Greenwich, so I might get a quote from them also.

So you rate Auto Restores work Barxy?
Old 10 May 2015, 10:25 AM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

A lot of its down to the guy whos doing the work, but as a rule of thumb most auto restore guys are brilliant at what they do, but the equipment they have is very good, they have vans that create large blow up paint booths with all the right stuff.
On the contrary ive seens chips away blowing in the side of a bumper with spray cans....

We have an ex auto restore guy at our places, he is a panel beater and a painter and the guys work is absolutley on point!!
But you wouldnt see a chips away guy moving into a proper bodyshop...

You will also find that auto restore generally charge the same price as a decent bodyshop too, where as chips away are usually much cheaper.

It depends how fussy you are tbh but the worst thing will be getting it done then not being happy with it, it would then cost even more to have it recified by another place.

You seem like a smart bloke so i'd be surprised if you were happy with chips away's work.
Old 10 May 2015, 10:40 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Nice one fella, yeah I think I will go with Auto Restore. Its a shame I havent seen any of their vans in my area otherwise id get him to do it as a foreigner, does your pal still know any of their painters?

I never intended to go with Chips Away, just wanted the quotes as I will have to justify why I went for the more expensive..but its an easy justification as CA where not that much cheaper.

Chips Away pulled a figure out of a hat at £320 + VAT, which made them £100 cheaper...not at lot in the grand scheme of things. I did actually watch a chips away van with the airgun outside in a busy street painting...went back to see the paint later on and saw lovely bits of debris in there. Class work.
Old 10 May 2015, 11:10 AM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Wait till you see what it will look like after a month once its settled and all sank....

They probably didnt even cover the car so all the neighbouring cars will also be covered in overspray

Last edited by Barxy; 10 May 2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 24 June 2015, 11:33 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trinity, did you get your work completed by Auto Restore in the end ? Just wondering what the quality of the work was like as I have a few dings and a bit of paintwork which needs addressing ...
Old 24 June 2015, 02:38 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
Trinity, did you get your work completed by Auto Restore in the end ? Just wondering what the quality of the work was like as I have a few dings and a bit of paintwork which needs addressing ...
I havent had it done yet, as the work on the house has only just finished, and didn't want to get it painted then end up with more scaffolding damage!

However, I will probably be taking it to Audi, at the end of the day, it had Audi paint before they dented it, so i'd like Audi paint afterwards as well, but we shall see how much they argue the toss.

The Auto Restore quote was ok, but wasnt far off a bodyshop to be honest.

Ill report back if I go down that route though