Sponsored by:

Exhaust fitting

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2015, 01:22 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust fitting

This is more of a "Would you" rather than a "how to request", so posting in general.

I have a Milltek 2.75 cat back system arrived in the post and I have only tomorrow to get it fitted due to limited free time, for the next month or two.

I was going to take it to a garage to fit it, but I am not adverse to a bit of spannering. Last job was a dual mass flywheel on the driveway so I don't mind getting dirty.

However someone told me that fitting an exhaust, getting it to sit right and not leak is a bit of a pain in the **** and should be done by professionals with a decent ramp (not axle stands).

What would you guys do? Have a go or just pay a few quid to get it done right?
Old 17 April 2015, 01:26 PM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it yourself as its 1 of the easiest jobs to do on a Scoob and I see no problem with getting it to sit right. Save your money.
Old 17 April 2015, 01:28 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Get it done simples to slow again beaten to it.
Old 17 April 2015, 01:41 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GH80
This is more of a "Would you" rather than a "how to request", so posting in general.

I have a Milltek 2.75 cat back system arrived in the post and I have only tomorrow to get it fitted due to limited free time, for the next month or two.

I was going to take it to a garage to fit it, but I am not adverse to a bit of spannering. Last job was a dual mass flywheel on the driveway so I don't mind getting dirty.

However someone told me that fitting an exhaust, getting it to sit right and not leak is a bit of a pain in the **** and should be done by professionals with a decent ramp (not axle stands).

What would you guys do? Have a go or just pay a few quid to get it done right?
Impreza exhausts are one of the easiest as they have flange fitment, rather than 'sleeve' fitment, which true, can be a pain to get right.

Fairly simple job, just douse the existing nuts and bolts in penetrating spray overnight.
Old 17 April 2015, 01:45 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Happy days, will give this a go tomorrow. The last time I tried this was about 15 years ago on a Renault (slieve fitting) and it was a disaster, exhaust was forever squeaking and rubbling off everything underneath.

Haven't had the Impreza jacked up yet though. I have axle stands and a set of mobile ramps. Thinking of ramps for the front then jacking up the rear with axle stands. Any issues with this? Is there a good place to put the axle stands underneath?
Old 17 April 2015, 01:47 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

problem i found when trying to fit my exhaust was room. i couldn't get any leverage om the ratchet to loosen a bolt and there was no room for a breaker bar

wd40 everything first to make it easier on yourself
Old 17 April 2015, 01:49 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Piece of cake to do, especially with a quality exhaust like the miltek.
Old 17 April 2015, 06:41 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is going on Sunday, new doughnut, spring bolts and gaskets. As above, a little bit of knuckle rash but nothing a good F and B would not cure. penetrating oil on everything.

Lovely!!!!!!

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 17 April 2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 17 April 2015, 07:00 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
This is going on Sunday, new doughnut, spring bolts and gaskets. As above, a little bit of knuckle rash but nothing a good F and B would not cure. penetrating oil on everything.
Does look a nice bit of kit does that.
Old 17 April 2015, 07:19 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

Lovely!!!!!!
Will that make a WRX go faster?
Old 17 April 2015, 08:46 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Looks great trooper! did you go for the 2.75 or the 3 inch bore? Also did yours come with all the gaskets, doughnut etc? I haven't opened the box yet but I was told Milltek send everything you need to fit.

Cant wait to hear how she sounds tomorrow, will try to get a before and after video in case anyone else is considering buying one.
Old 18 April 2015, 10:40 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Got it on. Bit of a pain in the backside if I am honest, did not come with a doughnut and the existing one didn't really suit. Also the cat or whatever it was did not have tapped holes, which Milltek supplied spring bolts for. Had to drill out holes to suit and bugger about with washers and spacers to get decent tension on the springs.

Saved a few quid doing it myself, would have been OK if it was straight swap but if I was to do it again I would pay someone else for the hassle in this case

Here is a quick before and after video.