Sponsored by:

Buying a crashed car

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2001, 02:06 PM
LightsAreOn
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any reference to it.

I was looking at a MY99 (UK spec turbo) normally seem to be going for around 15-16k, this one has had light frontal, but I know the guy, and its wearing tyres normally etc. is it worth the 12k he is asking?

Old 11 May 2001, 02:20 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Best bet is to pay for a car search check, does it say its been in a serious accident or a write off?

if not, pay for an RAC inspection, if ok, buy it!!!

robski
Old 11 May 2001, 02:26 PM
LightsAreOn
Scooby Newbie

Very light frontal, bumper lights etc professionally fixed, like i say i know the guy, i just want to hear any advice anyone has!

ButNobodysHome
Old 11 May 2001, 02:35 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

If it was anything other than bolt on parts (i.e lights, bumper, wings etc) then I would personally run a mile.

But I am a fussy git so I couldn't drive around in a car knowing it had been in a smash as it would p!ss me off and I would start looking too closely at the work and noticing every last little defect...

But like I say I am compulsively fussy...
Old 11 May 2001, 02:58 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just a few ideas.....

1. Go to the bodyshop who repaired it and ask them for any more details they may have on their records such as who paid for it and if it was an insurance company which one.

2. Have a really good look over the parts that have been replaced to check panel alignment and paint matching. Also try to look at the car under a streetlight at night as this will reveal any poor use of incorrect undercoat and/or paint.

3. Get the car checked via HPI as they will tell you if it has had an insurance claim and if so how much and more importantly if it was classified as a write-off. There are several different types so make sure you ask them to be specific. They will also tell you if the car is still subject to outstanding finance which will need to be cleared before it can be registered in your name.

4. Take the car to another bodyshop and ask them to put it on a jig to check the chassis as well as the panels that have been replaced.

5. Have the car inspected by the AA or RAC and don't tell them about the panel damage until after they have finished. They should pick the repairs up and may also pick up other damage which was not dealt with at the time.

All the above will cost time and money, but nothing compared to being left with a lemon and a £12k dent in your bank balance.

If all the above proves to your satisfaction that it a straight car, in all respects , then it's up to you if you buy it or not.

One last thing make sure it is a UK dealer supplied car and not an import as these have a lower resale value in the UK because of not having a full 3 year UK Subaru warranty.

Hope this helps

Yex
Old 11 May 2001, 03:10 PM
LightsAreOn
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that, Yex, excellent set of advice

What about the price?
Old 11 May 2001, 05:27 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Not sure about prices for MY99 but have a look at the used section of
Old 11 May 2001, 05:40 PM
tonyw
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi, I'm looking to sell my MY99 not far from that 12k, it's never been smashed or tracked, FSH, has complete Scoobysport system, Sti Boost Gauge, New Disc + Pads with Braided hoses, 17" Speedlines with SO2 Mini Disc player........ so on
Give Me a call on 07939 540682

Sorry I know it's not Private Sales

Thanks all Tony

[This message has been edited by tonyw (edited 11 May 2001).]