Sponsored by:

Where to buy a WRX/STI from?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2015, 04:54 PM
amb67
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy a WRX/STI from?

OK so the days of having a need for a huge E Class estate car are now over and I can at last buy a car that I want rather than need....

On the lookout for a 2004 - 2006 WRX/STI have around £8K to spend and would really like a pretty standard car, no decat pipe, decals, conversion from bug eye to hawk etc....

Been a good boy and used the search function but all that's done is left me completely confused on who is a good retailer of WRX/STi's.

Please help me find a good seller, would prefer to buy from a reputable retailer rather than private and I'm in no rush to buy?

Thanks

Alan
Old 25 March 2015, 05:00 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hurst cars.
Avoid at all costs cheshire performance,clives performance or Keighley trade hub.
Also any thing on Facebook as it's the domain of the retarded.
Old 25 March 2015, 07:11 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Avoid at all costs cheshire performance...
I would thoroughly do your homework on anyone selling a car at the moment, even those with historically good reputations. I have good experience with Graham Walker, I bought a mint 2005 widetrack STI off them it was a fantastic car, but I have heard a couple of unhappy customers on various forums.

Best cars to buy are ones with buckets of service history and receipts, either from a dealer or private sale. The best cars tend to be known on here and attract a lot of comments on the FS threads.
Old 25 March 2015, 07:28 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I would thoroughly do your homework on anyone selling a car at the moment, even those with historically good reputations.
This...

It would appear that all what glitters is not gold.
Old 25 March 2015, 08:03 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Anyone with a decent car to sell will sell it privately. People who are less fussed / know their cars are not perfect will trade them to dealers.
Ive owned around 30cars in 10 years and never once had a good experience from a dealer. No car is ever in as good a condition as they say.
Maybe im just unlucky with them, but i prefer to buy a car off someone whos owned and looked after the car rather than a dealer trying to make a quick buck
Old 25 March 2015, 11:12 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You can polish a turd, but inside, it is still a turd.
Old 25 March 2015, 11:19 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Barxy
Anyone with a decent car to sell will sell it privately. People who are less fussed / know their cars are not perfect will trade them to dealers.
Not every dealer car is a px though. A lot are purchased outright by dealers when private sellers advertise them as has been shown on here by people getting beaten to purchasing cars by dealers...
Old 25 March 2015, 11:26 PM
Karl_mac_
Scooby Regular

I might be selling my slightly tweaked 02 Prodrive Edition STI?

Still needs a few bits looking at but is a rock solid base
Old 25 March 2015, 11:45 PM
pcressie
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a nice blob eye sti today. It was the sixth car I went to look at and travelled nearly 1000 miles looking. Never bothered with trader's just looked at private ones. The one I bought didn't have stacks of receipts, but the owner had had it since it was a year old and it felt the best one to drive.

Last edited by pcressie; 25 March 2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 26 March 2015, 09:00 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAF1
Not every dealer car is a px though. A lot are purchased outright by dealers when private sellers advertise them as has been shown on here by people getting beaten to purchasing cars by dealers...
This is true, and i hate this tactic they do.
But, you also tend to find private sellers are usually more honest, and tend to price the car accordingly. You also usually get a good idea about the car from the seller.
The dealer on the other hand will overprice it buy around £2k, and advertise them all as mint yet know nothing about the car.
Have you noticed Chesire Performance write the exact same thing about everyone of their Imprezas for sale at the bottom of the adverts, about having certain work done and not needing any money spent on it blah blah blah, they havent got a clue and prey on the general public who arent as clued up as most enthusiasts.
Old 26 March 2015, 09:01 PM
amb67
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies, will be considering private sellers too and as said earlier, i'm in no rush and I don't make hasty decisions on my car purchases.

Learning loads on this forum, the knowledge contained within the threads is amazing.