Sponsored by:

Do scoobies look cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2015, 01:33 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do scoobies look cheap?

Basically, before i bought the JDM, i test drove a few scoobies, one at £10k (56 blob widetrack), an RB320 which turned out to have been in a prang, anyway, then bought the JDM for £12.5k.

At the time i test drove the blob, i had a mate with me, he was shocked at the £10k price and said that scoobies look cheap and people would think it's a £3k car, i didn't entirely agree, anyway had a different mate with me for the other test drive, he said exactly the same thing, that scoobies look cheap and if he sees one regardless of what it is, he always thinks they're nothing at all to buy and are the cheap option.

Just went to euro car parts (i know, the clowns in here know very little about cars) - anyway lad comes out to look at car as hes seen it through the window, and says "what was it mate about 2.5k/3k?" - i said no, 12 and a half, his response, spot on mate i'd pay £1250 for that - i said no, 12 n half grand, he basically told me i was full of bull**** and scoobies are "cheap as chips" now.

It just got me thinking if the vast majority of people who don't have a real interest in a particular car would think it's a cheapo, i did tell the lad it's an import and he said "yeah? where from?"..... face palm.

On the other hand, i had an E92 M3 which cost me £20k and everywhere i went people thought it was a hell of a lot more expensive car for some reason, i remember a bloke nudging his son as i was pulling away with window down last summer and saying "look son, £80,000 car that!".....

Perceptions. Bizarre.
Old 24 March 2015, 01:36 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The general public is thick.
Old 24 March 2015, 01:40 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep cheap nasty jap rot box, but they go well enough for a sub £5k car, only a mug would pay more.
Old 24 March 2015, 01:44 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Same way I would never pay £30-40k for a Golf R, A45 AMG or an S3 but hey whatever floats your boat. My sub 5k rice box gives me infintely more driving pleasure than any of the above
Old 24 March 2015, 01:48 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Same way I would never pay £30-40k for a Golf R, A45 AMG or an S3 but hey whatever floats your boat. My sub 5k rice box gives me infintely more driving pleasure than any of the above
+1 and that smugg feeling too when they can't shake you.
Old 24 March 2015, 01:54 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Yep cheap nasty jap rot box, but they go well enough for a sub £5k car, only a mug would pay more.
So you'd turn down a 22b or S204 cos it looks cheap?
Personally very few of the modern cars do anything for me. They're all amorphous and clones of each other. Much prefer the lines of standard classic, blob or hawk. Prices are actually on the up on Imprezas.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:04 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are cheap and have a chavvy image.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:05 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
They are cheap and have a chavvy image.
Like your woman mate?
Old 24 March 2015, 02:06 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Very poor interior derived from the standard Impreza that they failed to update successfully over the years.Reminds me of a 1970's cheap East European car.I guess all the money is spent on the oily bits but the quality of design & quality of materials now,even cheap standard models, is very high compared to Imprezas.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:07 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

We covered this in another thread As fat Thomas says (and I said in another thread), the Impreza is a cheap jap chav chariot. If you can't live with that fact then buy a golf.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:07 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

In a word, yes, they do 'look' cheap to the uneducated.
But who cares? If you are trying to impress people with an Impreza, then you will only be impressing 10 year olds. (careful if that is your goal! )

The same can be said about so many other cars. Take the Audi Quattro for example.
I know someone who thought that they are the same as the old VW Scirocco!

I have had a few comments at work such as 'aren't you a bit old for a car like that?' Do I judge them on what they drive? No. More importantly, do I care? Not in the slightest.

If you are already bothered by what people think, you have bought the wrong car!

I have owned Imprezas (4 in total) over the last 11 years because I like them. To me, they are not that expensive to run if you are handy with a spanner, have 4 doors, a big boot and have so much get up and go, very few other cars can match it or give me as much enjoyment as the Impreza turbo.

Buy it, enjoy it and give two fingers to what anyone else thinks.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:11 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

Everyone keeps saying that they are indeed "cheap".... I don't think £12,500 is cheap.

Looking cheap and being cheap are two completely different things.

Suppose that's subjective though.

I understand completely they have the chav name, and have zero interest in what anyone thinks of what i drive, what i asked was do you think to your average joe bloggs thinks that all imprezas are worth a grand.

I assume the answer is yes bearing in mind owners are saying they're essentially **** heaps only to be driven by **** stopper wearing ******* ..... maybe you yourselves have bought the wrong cars

Last edited by mestonian; 24 March 2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:11 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Mine was dearer than £12.5k....I think ive been done, not
These are the people that do not know the difference between a 2.5k classic and a 25k 22b, I did'nt to buy it to worry what others think anyway, just tell them there shoes look cheap!!
Old 24 March 2015, 02:13 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Bottom line who cares what anyone else thinks, all that matters is that you're happy with your choice
Old 24 March 2015, 02:14 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
Mine was dearer than £12.5k....I think ive been done, not
These are the people that do not know the difference between a 2.5k classic and a 25k 22b, I did'nt to buy it to worry what others think anyway, just tell them there shoes look cheap!!
I would but where i'm from very few people wear them. It's usually pyjamas and uggs to the shops.

Thinking about it, i bought the perfect car
Old 24 March 2015, 02:14 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Bottom line who cares what anyone else thinks, all that matters is that you're happy with your choice
+1

Something tells me the OP is little to worried about what others think!
Old 24 March 2015, 02:17 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

I think everyone is assuming i do care, i really don't.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:20 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
+1

Something tells me the OP is little to worried about what others think!
If i was that bothered i wouldn't have just spunked a wedge of cash on a car that i'm well aware is seen by most as a chav chariot.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:23 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mestonian
If i was that bothered i wouldn't have just spunked a wedge of cash on a car that i'm well aware is seen by most as a chav chariot.
Then why post this thread?
Old 24 March 2015, 02:24 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Ultimately your car will look like any other hawk to the untrained eye, just like a tatty old WRX or sport with 100k+ on the clock. Sure the big bonnet scoops and spoilers are just bolt on stuff you all get from Halfords are they not? I guess that's what most people will see!

So your car will look like a 3-4k shed with bolt on tat to boot. And diesel burners can keep up on the traffic light GP unless you want to smoke your clutch in a week! Joys of Impreza ownership. I wouldn't change though, I don't give a **** about image and what others think about my car
Old 24 March 2015, 02:25 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

So basically you care what others think.
Who cares I know they are cheap chavvy cars but I like to drive mine so have had it years.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:26 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

"Care" maybe a little strong but the gimp at euro carparts saying he would only pay £1250 for your car does seem to have irked you a little. With anything in life sometimes only you can see the value in what you have, sheeple will never see what you see so pay them no mind at all
Old 24 March 2015, 02:30 PM
jonnyricer2
Scooby Regular

The impreza is almost it's own worst enemy

They became so popular because they were so good!! Hence the prices were fairly cheap
Now there still bloody good and going up in value yee hah
Old 24 March 2015, 02:32 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Then why post this thread?
Why not? I was under the impression this was a forum to discuss things.

I asked a simple question and everyone automatically assumed i'm sat sobbing over what some randomer thinks.

I'm sure we could look at every post and assume the OP has certain thoughts and opinions on things, but we don't because it's somewhere to discuss something everyone has a mutual interest in, rather than assume everything.

It wasn't even aimed at my car in particular, i asked about subarus in general.

Nevermind, you're right, i should put the tissues away
Old 24 March 2015, 02:33 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

"Care" maybe a little strong but the gimp at euro carparts saying he would only pay £1250 for your car does seem to have irked you a little. With anything in life sometimes only you can see the value in what you have, sheeple will never see what you see so pay them no mind at all
Not at all, bearing in mind 2 other people have made similar comments, i've not jumped on here posting anything about it, but after a 3rd time i just wondered if others experienced the same. I thought it may be a good topic of conversation, not an opportunity for people to assume i'm crying because my car doesnt look like it's worth £100,000.

I give up
Old 24 March 2015, 02:34 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
So you'd turn down a 22b or S204 cos it looks cheap?
Personally very few of the modern cars do anything for me. They're all amorphous and clones of each other. Much prefer the lines of standard classic, blob or hawk. Prices are actually on the up on Imprezas.
I'm one of the strange people that actually prefer the lines of my Type R to the 22b the blown arches just look like an after thought (which they were) to me when you park them side by side.

S204 is too posh for me, wouldn't want to ruin those seats with my maccydees or packora and samosas.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 24 March 2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:38 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'm one of the strange people that actually prefer the lines of my Type R to the 22b the blown arches just look like an after thought (which they were) to me when you park them side by side.

S204 is too posh for me, wouldn't want to ruin those seats with my maccydees.
You're right, you are strange!
The wide arch shell of the 22b is iconic and in my opinion Subaru's finest hour.
Old 24 March 2015, 02:39 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mestonian
Not at all, bearing in mind 2 other people have made similar comments, i've not jumped on here posting anything about it, but after a 3rd time i just wondered if others experienced the same. I thought it may be a good topic of conversation, not an opportunity for people to assume i'm crying because my car doesnt look like it's worth £100,000.

I give up
lets put it this way in your M3 you would not have even got an eyebrow raise from me, now your hawkeye would get a double take and nod of appreciation.

I used to get it all the time in my old type r, people always sneer at you or look down at you in their bling mobiles chauffering barbies around but it made it all the more satisfying when you show them a clean pair of heels
Old 24 March 2015, 02:39 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Some of the early classics look cheap usually the uk spec with the rotting arches,some of the bugeyes are looking a bit worse for wear.
Give me a blob or forged hawkeye anyday ...
Old 24 March 2015, 02:48 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
You're right, you are strange!
The wide arch shell of the 22b is iconic and in my opinion Subaru's finest hour.
Yep it's definitely iconic and I wouldn't say no to a free one either, but I'd be afraid to drive it, park it and probably even worry about it when it's sat in the garage

£4k heap it is for me, thrap it, wrap it, dent it, park where I like and generally not really give a toss about it beyond it getting me from A to B, I find that quite liberating and an enjoyable ownership experience.

Oh and I totally agree about new cars, booooooorrrrriiiiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggg.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 24 March 2015 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Do scoobies look cheap?