Sponsored by:

At what point does a car become deemed as unsuitable for road use

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2015, 07:37 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what point does a car become deemed as unsuitable for road use

At what point during the modding of a car does it become too much for road use? I mean, fuel costs aside, what is it that makes a 600 BHP scoob unsuitable as a daily drive? Is it the fact that as soon as it comes on boost that it eats the road up, or do the supporting mods eg upgraded clutch, track suspension make it hard work to drive? Is it reliability? If modded accordingly maybe this wouldn't need to be an issue? And in your opinion, what sort of BHP is the maximum you'd want for a road car?
Old 22 March 2015, 07:59 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Down to personal preference I guess

I have 436bhp in my blob sti it's a daily car and I don't mind it at all, it's on coilovers and the exhaust is offensive but it's ok in my books.if I wanted a lazy wardrobe on wheels I would have bought a bmw.

I enjoy driving my scoob, it turns heads and is blisteringly quick with great handling.
Old 22 March 2015, 07:59 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydsound
At what point during the modding of a car does it become too much for road use? I mean, fuel costs aside, what is it that makes a 600 BHP scoob unsuitable as a daily drive? Is it the fact that as soon as it comes on boost that it eats the road up, or do the supporting mods eg upgraded clutch, track suspension make it hard work to drive? Is it reliability? If modded accordingly maybe this wouldn't need to be an issue? And in your opinion, what sort of BHP is the maximum you'd want for a road car?
Prob just becomes too uncomfortable and too much messing around once you get to big power, I've heard from
The guys who run big power 500bhp is the most you want on a road car.

I guess stuff like maintenance, waiting for temperatures, checking readings make a highend tuned car more annoying for normal use

Especially when they start stripping and setting the car for track use
Old 22 March 2015, 09:52 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch and general noisy-ness I think would stop me from using a big power car on the road, at least for a purposeful commuter (not a weekend toy).

Built engines seem to be quite noisy, high power clutches seem noisy and awkward to use, external fuel pumps are noisy, performance brake pads are noisy, performance coilovers are often uncomfortable (though I think the KW V3 are spot on), etc etc.

For a track day, sprint or weekend blast - none of that matters. But it would kill me to explain all of the above every time I have passengers in the car or whatever for a daily drive.
Old 22 March 2015, 10:07 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When it gets covered in stickers, is body modded to look like a cartoon Si-Fi character and appears on SIOC.
Old 23 March 2015, 10:37 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
When it gets covered in stickers, is body modded to look like a cartoon Si-Fi character and appears on SIOC.
Old 23 March 2015, 11:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very subjective and for me depends on the quality of the parts used, if everything is budget then it'll be a bag of shoit at 350/400bhp if everything is top draw then 550/600bhp is probably livable but that would have to be in a fully loaded newage or hatch.
Old 23 March 2015, 11:17 PM
roscom
Scooby Regular

I would say when you can no longer regularly use it to its full potential or more importantly when you no longer enjoy driving it on the road (for whatever reason) is when it becomes unsuitable.
Old 25 March 2015, 08:22 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

300bhp/ton is all you need for a road car IMO.

You can get decent coilovers that are compliant for road use, OE brembo brakes are more than up to the job on road, ACT uprated organic single plate clutch is only a little bit heavier on the pedal than OE and a 6 speed box will handle any power at this level.

So you can have your aircon, leccy windows central locking ICE, the whole lot just weigh it up and work out what power you need.
Old 25 March 2015, 09:24 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by roscom
I would say when you can no longer regularly use it to its full potential.
When can you do that legally with even a standard STi on the road?
Old 25 March 2015, 09:52 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
I can't do that with my Mrs 1.4 Rover 25.
Old 25 March 2015, 10:00 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say it's more like when you start stripping carpets,sound deadening and removing radios etc.
It becomes so loud and uncomfortable to use daily then.
Adding more power isn't so bad as it's up to you if you use it.
Old 25 March 2015, 10:03 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I can't do that with my Mrs 1.4 Rover 25.
We all have our limits Ditchy
Old 25 March 2015, 02:39 PM
Khandaris
Scooby Regular

I have a 2000 STI (340bhp) this is pretty much standard STI setup. Its nimble enough and quick enough for road use. It's just like any standard car that has power when you need it.

On the other hand, I have an Evo 5 thats running well over 500bhp. This thing is clearly the better performing car when it gets going. its solid under load and corners like its on rails. However, its ultra hard to drive in slow moving traffic. It has 1000 CC injectors and a lightened flywheel, meaning its difficult to pull away with anything less than 2k revs. Hill starts are a nightmare too - need more revs.. but rev it too high and it activates launch control. Kinda dont want that!

The bhp of the evo warranted the stiffer suspension and supporting mods so you dont flip it when its moving.. But in turn makes it a terrible daily driver. So for this reason alone its a weekend car only!

I would say 300-400 is great for any road car (modded), but more than that and its the supporting mods that will make the drive more uncomfortable or difficult
Old 25 March 2015, 04:41 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Khandaris
It has 1000 CC injectors and a lightened flywheel, meaning its difficult to pull away with anything less than 2k revs. Hill starts are a nightmare too - need more revs.. but rev it too high and it activates launch control. Kinda dont want that!
Injectors won't cause that unless not setup properly and flywheel only if you have gone uber light.

Sound like a new clutch / fly setup will massively improve the car for you.
Old 25 March 2015, 04:44 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Had a 650bhp + type r as a daily driver, fuel pump was a bit noisy but other than that it was fine
Old 26 March 2015, 10:54 PM
roscom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You

Legally? Never.

But in fairness who builds a 500+bhp road car to get to 70 quickly?!
Old 27 March 2015, 08:45 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

yes a big power car is noisier and the clutch is not as comfortable as an oe clutch, but for me the main reason not to use mine as a daily (and I'm lucky I don't have to use it for a commute so it is purely a toy) is because i spent a lot of money, time, effort, blood, sweat and tears making the car my own! It would grate me driving it everyday for the commute and normal use and would take the fun and excitement away for when I wanted to use it for fun and what it's been built for!
Old 27 March 2015, 09:41 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

In fairness I sometimes feel like that even with mine and it's only a stage 1 remap job.
Old 27 March 2015, 10:00 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

At the point the owner / user decides they don't want to drive it on the road anymore.
Old 27 March 2015, 10:04 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Personally all I would do is sort the handling and change the turbo to something like a billet SC36 and fit some quality brakes and rubber, should be plenty for a fast road car and not ruin it for daily use.

Everyone is different, my WRX Wagon with 260 ish bhp is enough for me, but it handles and stops really well now I've done a few more bits on it, but then again I'm not really into modding, these guys above are all addicts and it will never be enough.

I'd sooner spend £3/ 5k on a crotch rocket for my speed thrills, but I was always more into the buzz from bikes than cars as it's more my idea of an adrenalin rush.
Old 27 March 2015, 02:49 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

From a driving point of view once you are used to the clutch mine is really good on the road, you can potter around in low revs around town off boost really easily, and then just squeeze the loud pedal when you want some fun lol.
Old 28 March 2015, 03:42 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I look after one with 723bhp which is every bit as easy to drive as a stock car.
Choosing the right parts is key to it.
It runs an 8 injector setup which has OE sti injectors as primaries and 1000s as secondaries. Makes it lovely to potter about in.