Sponsored by:

Tightening up blobeye

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2015, 05:22 PM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tightening up blobeye

Just want to know what bushes are best and what everyone using, want to tighten up the blobeye handling and suspenison, was going to start with bushes then anti roll bars
Old 15 March 2015, 05:26 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

decent tyres and geo set up its a good start, then arbs and shocks/springs
Old 15 March 2015, 05:39 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

steering rack bushes made a good difference on my bug along with the ARB bushes. You could fit finger between my ARB bushes and the bar though they were really far gone.

Full geo setup was the magical transformation though - easily worth the money if its well done.
Old 15 March 2015, 05:43 PM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

My intentions were to get most suspension parts then fit all together and il do full geo set up at work, just wondered what bushes make the most difference and whether your using powerflex or super pro or something different
Old 15 March 2015, 05:46 PM
corno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cakeslice1988
My intentions were to get most suspension parts then fit all together and il do full geo set up at work, just wondered what bushes make the most difference and whether your using powerflex or super pro or something different
Hey Cakeslice, I'm also from Worcester, you might see my silver hawk sti about
Is there anywhere you can recommend for geo setups in Worcs?
Old 15 March 2015, 05:49 PM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

Not sure really im at rpm in malvern, but it aint my fortay, one of the other lads normally do it, we had a mr2 track car in this week for full geo and he seemed happy with service
Old 15 March 2015, 05:51 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As what Thomas said tyres and ARB then springs/shocks maybe coilovers...

I'm sourcing under braces for mine but hard to come across
Old 15 March 2015, 06:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing is to know what it's doing that you don't like and what car it is exactly and what's the spec at the moment.
Old 15 March 2015, 06:07 PM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

Its just a standard wrx, ive had it a couple of years, but been skint, so not modded it besides cat back, it handles like a boat, was going to sell it but thought i might enjoy it now i have some cash to throw at it, im only after good handling and decent brakes, power is not really an interest at the mo
Old 15 March 2015, 06:17 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

see if you can pickup some STI shocks /springs/ alloy lower arms/arb's - shouldn't cost the earth as most folk are upgrading to bigger and better things anyway. That's what I did with mine it's definilty better. Now that I'm used to it I've got some coilovers waiting to go in to kick things up a notch.
Old 15 March 2015, 07:23 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
see if you can pickup some STI shocks /springs/ alloy lower arms/arb's - shouldn't cost the earth as most folk are upgrading to bigger and better things anyway. That's what I did with mine it's definilty better. Now that I'm used to it I've got some coilovers waiting to go in to kick things up a notch.
NO NO NO, STI has the wrong spring rates for a WRX because the WRX is lighter than the STI and TBH they're shyte on the STI to begin with anyway which is why most people change them.

You want PCA Dynamics Prodrive springs, there's a group buy on them at the minute, just contact Peter via email and give him £200 quid and jobs a good un, best £200 I have spent on my car.

Only thing you need from an STI is the rear anti roll bar, then I fitted super pro steering rack bushes and roll bar bushes.

That lot with a decent geo set up will see a major improvement in road holding and steering feel without ruining the ride quality.

Not even £300 to properly sort your handling, and the springs are designed for your car not one that looks a bit like it.

Here you go.

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...mited-run.html

And a bit of reading for you.

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...-uk-roads.html

Last edited by ditchmyster; 15 March 2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 15 March 2015, 07:45 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

That's assuming his shocks are good, my shocks, top mounts, arb bushes, lower arm bushes were all done so getting a good deal on the sti bits made sense.
Old 15 March 2015, 07:48 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

I wouldn't get coilovers I tried it they are awful on UK roads
Old 15 March 2015, 07:50 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

As above get some Prodrive springs first off.
Old 15 March 2015, 07:51 PM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

All bushes and mounts are in good nick, dampers are fine and so are topmounts, will be changing it all in time anyway
Old 15 March 2015, 07:55 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

It depends how far you want to go...There are a lot of bushes underneath the car, I did my last one near completely and the one i have now if fully bushed in either Whiteline or SuperPro.

You`ve got the ARB bushes and droplink bushes if you go for solid ones, Then syou have the front control arm which has 2 bushes one front and one rear...The rear is usually swapped out for an ALK/castor bush...Also then there is the lowerball joint and track rod ends which are covered with a Bump steer/roll centre kit.

Rear End would benefit from trailing arm bushes front and rear(hub), Then lateral arms, then you have diff mounts, subframe, Gearbox mounts/cradle/steering rack...Its not a cheap or quick job either if you decide to do the lot
Old 15 March 2015, 08:00 PM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
It depends how far you want to go...There are a lot of bushes underneath the car, I did my last one near completely and the one i have now if fully bushed in either Whiteline or SuperPro.

You`ve got the ARB bushes and droplink bushes if you go for solid ones, Then syou have the front control arm which has 2 bushes one front and one rear...The rear is usually swapped out for an ALK/castor bush...Also then there is the lowerball joint and track rod ends which are covered with a Bump steer/roll centre kit.

Rear End would benefit from trailing arm bushes front and rear(hub), Then lateral arms, then you have diff mounts, subframe, Gearbox mounts/cradle/steering rack...Its not a cheap or quick job either if you decide to do the lot
this is what i wanted, not worried about price or time, perks of playing with cars for a job, no pount changing everything when there in good nick, just want to change the stuff that will actually feel the car stiffen up
Old 15 March 2015, 08:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Mine looked good until I took them out, steering rack bush was split so instead of a C shape it was two separate pieces, other bushes were over 10yrs old.

For the sake of £30 it was well worth changing them for polly items, just for the effect on the steering alone.

My struts were completely fine almost like new and the springs were easy to fit, took about 3hrs all in taking my time me and a mate and we had a few beers while we were at it, the use of a proper 2 post lift ramp jobbie made things nice and easy, we started at about 8pm and we were in the local bar by 12pm, was a bit of a late night after that.
Old 15 March 2015, 08:01 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

The bushes are cheap fitting them is time consuming so expensive unless you do it yourself.
Old 15 March 2015, 08:04 PM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

Il be doing everything myself on a nice sat afternoon with my choice of 6 ramps, lots of food, loud music and a large supply of snap on and mac tools
Old 15 March 2015, 08:07 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

I did my rear bushes as the car was in bits fitting a rear big brake conversion prior to totb so it wasn't too hard.
Otherwise I'd imagine it's a time consuming job and there is a big bolt on the hub that can be a pig to remove if it's corroded.
Im yet to do the fronts but probably will before this years totb
Old 15 March 2015, 08:09 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

2x roll bars and steering rack took me about 2hrs taking my time again and on my back, steering rack is a bit fiddly but nothing major.
Old 15 March 2015, 08:10 PM
Cakeslice1988
Scooby Regular

Im hoping to get it all done by the summer, with a couple of mates mentioning a trackday, so thats my target
Old 15 March 2015, 08:20 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

my classic and blob have a full kit powerflex bushes with whiteline rear 24mm arb and 22mm front arb .

best mod i ever done