Sponsored by:

4 point harness and mot

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2015, 12:34 PM
playtime
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 point harness and mot

I'am wondering what the legal view on this would be for an mot tester. Would it pass without a standard seatbelt in place just the harness. Thanks in advance
Old 04 March 2015, 12:47 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

My 205 used to be ok with four point belts fitted.

I think as long as they're fitted correctly and safely they'll be fine. I can't find any mention of four point belts in the MoT manual though. That may be good or bad.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s05000001.htm
Old 04 March 2015, 01:14 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are the shoulder straps mounted as you don't want them fixed to the rear bolts of the drivers seat as it will collapse on impact
Old 04 March 2015, 02:59 PM
playtime
Scooby Regular

They are mounted to the rear cage for shoulder straps 45 degrees below shoulder height. And lap end is fixed just were the old seatbelt clip was and vise versa other end of belt.
Old 04 March 2015, 05:46 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty certain seat belts have to be able to be put on with one hand. At least, I beleive that was the rule when I was running them. My experiences of 4 point harnesses mean, in theory, they would fail an MOT.

I'm sure Alcazar will respond a some point.
Old 04 March 2015, 09:09 PM
blade4879
Scooby Newbie

The front seats need 3 point seat belts, exclusions to this are competition cars. The way I was told by vosa to identify genuine competition vehicles was the presence of a cage which you have so if you have any issues tell that to the tester and they will probably be okay. To be honest if it looks secure and proper most testers don't know for sure (there's a lot of grey areas in mot's) and would just pass it rather than check.
Old 04 March 2015, 09:16 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

They are fine, as long as they work as they should and are mounted correctly then its a pass.
Old 05 March 2015, 01:22 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will probably pass an MOT fine but are less safe then the OE three points.

I personally (and I know a lot of people on here will argue their case) believe that four points have no place on road or track. They are a cheap way of making it look like you have proper motorsport safety gear but don't even do as good a job as the stock 3 point belts.

Why?

In a high speed front impact you will slide down the seat and the lap part will destroy your internal organs. The amount you slide down will also mean you end up in a heap in the foot well with your arms yanked up and your spine and legs damaged. To stop this you need a crotch strap.

But 3 points don't have crotch straps? No they don't. But they are designed to tighten across the chest and lap in impact preventing you from sliding down. They work well trust me.

Also any full harness set must be very tight to be safe. So tight you can't move at all. Not only is this an issue when reversing it's also a problem when trying to see around obstructions and at junctions, overtakes etc.

Another issue is that a proper 5/6 point harness will keep you nice and still in impact. Your neck however will snap. You are not much good with a snapped neck. The way to combat this is to have a neck brace and helmet fitted with a restraint device.

Again the 3 point belt allows a little bit of stretch to prevent the rigid body and loose head neck snapping.

Lastly if a harness works and keep your rigid in the upright position when you roll the roof will come down and the weight of the car will be on your spine. Normal belts allow your body to move away from a crushed roof. A roll cage prevents this but without a helmet a cage is more likely to kill then save you.

So all in all in my opinion which you can take or leave. Three point stock belts or full 5/6 harness with correct seat cage and helmet with restraint. Anywhere between will make things worse for you.

Sorry for the rant but I see accidents all the time and most people who fit cages or four points in a half arsed manner think that they are improving safety.

Also you always think it won't happen to you. But it does, every day. And those people didn't think it would happen to them either.

Stay safe.
Old 05 March 2015, 03:07 AM
playtime
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info people.
Old 05 March 2015, 03:34 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by FMJ
Will probably pass an MOT fine but are less safe then the OE three points.

I personally (and I know a lot of people on here will argue their case) believe that four points have no place on road or track. They are a cheap way of making it look like you have proper motorsport safety gear but don't even do as good a job as the stock 3 point belts.

Why?

In a high speed front impact you will slide down the seat and the lap part will destroy your internal organs. The amount you slide down will also mean you end up in a heap in the foot well with your arms yanked up and your spine and legs damaged. To stop this you need a crotch strap.

But 3 points don't have crotch straps? No they don't. But they are designed to tighten across the chest and lap in impact preventing you from sliding down. They work well trust me.

Also any full harness set must be very tight to be safe. So tight you can't move at all. Not only is this an issue when reversing it's also a problem when trying to see around obstructions and at junctions, overtakes etc.

Another issue is that a proper 5/6 point harness will keep you nice and still in impact. Your neck however will snap. You are not much good with a snapped neck. The way to combat this is to have a neck brace and helmet fitted with a restraint device.

Again the 3 point belt allows a little bit of stretch to prevent the rigid body and loose head neck snapping.

Lastly if a harness works and keep your rigid in the upright position when you roll the roof will come down and the weight of the car will be on your spine. Normal belts allow your body to move away from a crushed roof. A roll cage prevents this but without a helmet a cage is more likely to kill then save you.

So all in all in my opinion which you can take or leave. Three point stock belts or full 5/6 harness with correct seat cage and helmet with restraint. Anywhere between will make things worse for you.

Sorry for the rant but I see accidents all the time and most people who fit cages or four points in a half arsed manner think that they are improving safety.

Also you always think it won't happen to you. But it does, every day. And those people didn't think it would happen to them either.

Stay safe.
This is the reason I need & love to be on this forum.This is type of advise & knowledgeable information is absolute gold.I automatically assumed that a four point harness & roll cage would be very safe.
I assume that most people who have 4,5,or even 6 point harnesses in their street car will wear them very loosely because of the lack of mobility & as you say, completely defeating the point.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05 March 2015, 03:38 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We are passed on our wagon with 4 point harness MOT without the problem,although we have normal seat belts in place,but you should be able pass MOT without the problems

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura