Sponsored by:

P1

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2015, 09:59 AM
big_jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1

I had the urge for another impreza so I bought a 99 classic UK turbo a few weeks ago.
Was looking at blob Sti's at first but didn't think I wanted to spend that much.

Now I'm back in an Impreza I'm loving it but want more power and a nicer car.

A couple of P1's have got my attention. Number 450 which is on ebay at £6995. I hpi'd it and it was a cat D in 2010.

Another one has come up in Scotland.

What are the general consensus on the P1?
I've heard people slag them off and the type r is better blah blah blah.

I liked the P1 when it was new and always had a soft spot for it.

Should I?

Last edited by big_jim; 21 February 2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 21 February 2015, 10:04 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

i think the p1 is over-rated and as you mentioned a type r is more desirable but the choice is yours

if your willing to spend £7k look at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGHLY-MOD...item3aa303a48f
Old 21 February 2015, 10:12 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd go for a P1, think there nice, the type r might be abit better in some ways, but its what you like.

Only thing i'd say is make sure its either low miles or had engine rebuild, i've seen a few with knackered engines, not sure why, but one thats either had a rebuilt or forged engine would be a better choice
Old 21 February 2015, 11:37 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

P1 is now £5,995.
Old 21 February 2015, 12:38 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
i think the p1 is over-rated and as you mentioned a type r is more desirable but the choice is yours

if your willing to spend £7k look at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGHLY-MOD...item3aa303a48f
Not so sure about that one, sounds like it'll be needing a gearbox, non dccd 5 speed running 400bhp.
Old 21 February 2015, 01:23 PM
carlito
Scooby Regular

Horses for courses and all...but I've had both a Type R V5 and a P1..

I'd say the Type R is a more brutal car in standard form with a closer ratio box and stiffer suspension..awsome off the line acceleration but it really does feel short geared for a/b road fun and quite harsh on the ride too.

Yes they come with the DCCD and 180 rear diff etc but it really all depends on your driving ability as to whether you'll be using the DCCD to it's full potential etc..

Get yourself onto the P1woc and find a decent car from a member selling up that's known on the forum as you'll stand a chance of getting a much better example if you decide to go for a P1.
Old 21 February 2015, 05:13 PM
ADY 555
Scooby Regular

^^^^ +1

Shrek, have you ever driven or owned one to come out with a statement like that?
Old 21 February 2015, 10:30 PM
big_jim
Scooby Regular

That P1 has sold. He stated it was a cat D which he told me it was clear as far as he knew.
Old 22 February 2015, 02:06 AM
carlito
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big_jim
That P1 has sold. He stated it was a cat D which he told me it was clear as far as he knew.
These day's with how cheap it is to do a quick HPI check even a basic one on the likes of mycarcheck.com or 8600 from your mobile it's crazy to even consider buying a car without carrying one out.

I do buy and sell a few car's over the years and I can honestly say it's saved me both a wasted trip and a potential headache buying a recorded car. Nothing wrong with buying a Cat D or even C car as long as it's with open eyes and of course the repair work's been carried out well..and of course the car is priced to reflect the fact it's a Cat C or D.

As for the P1..I owned my old Type R from 2000-2004 and it was only a year old when I bought it with 19k miles on the clock. Cool Grey was a nice colour too..do miss the fact it had twin pot rear calipers although I've got a set to go onto the P1 this summer now.

It also depends what your plans are with the car..if your planning to modify it heavily with suspension/power/handling/styling/cosmetic mods then I'd say your wasting your money buying a P1 as a decent Type R would make a good base car for you and you'd be able to buy one for less than a P1.

If on the other hand your planning on owning it for the foreseeable future and looking at keeping it relatively standard in both looks and handling/power then as a long term investment a P1 is surely the way to go.

Whichever route you go down..a decent Ecutek remap form the likes of Bob Rawle is a must to get the car running safely and as it should on V-Power fuel. Budget around £350-400 for this into your purchase cost as it is essential in my opinion..even though the P1's were UK car's and Prodrive tried to address the fueling issue's it's the first thing any classic Impreza owner should do IMO.

Also fit a set of gauges for oil temp/pressure/boost to give you a clear picture of what's going on under the bonnet when driving.

I've had my P1 for 6 years now and even though it only come's out every summer as it's on a SORN most of the year..I absolutely love it..it's a very special car.
Old 22 February 2015, 09:47 AM
big_jim
Scooby Regular

I've got a bike for speed, so the car is just a but of fun so unlikely to get too modified.
I'd like to say I'd keep it for years but given my track record it's not likely.

I like the UK cars for some reason, I had imports when I was younger, didn't like the speedo and fog light conversions. UK cars to me feel right.

I'm still tempted with a blob sti.
Old 22 February 2015, 10:48 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big_jim
I've got a bike for speed, so the car is just a but of fun so unlikely to get too modified.
I'd like to say I'd keep it for years but given my track record it's not likely.

I like the UK cars for some reason, I had imports when I was younger, didn't like the speedo and fog light conversions. UK cars to me feel right.

I'm still tempted with a blob sti.
If it's to be a daily driver I would go for the blob STI, if it's just a fun car then the P1 all day long!
Old 23 February 2015, 09:33 AM
ADY 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carlito
These day's with how cheap it is to do a quick HPI check even a basic one on the likes of mycarcheck.com or 8600 from your mobile it's crazy to even consider buying a car without carrying one out.

I do buy and sell a few car's over the years and I can honestly say it's saved me both a wasted trip and a potential headache buying a recorded car. Nothing wrong with buying a Cat D or even C car as long as it's with open eyes and of course the repair work's been carried out well..and of course the car is priced to reflect the fact it's a Cat C or D.

As for the P1..I owned my old Type R from 2000-2004 and it was only a year old when I bought it with 19k miles on the clock. Cool Grey was a nice colour too..do miss the fact it had twin pot rear calipers although I've got a set to go onto the P1 this summer now.

It also depends what your plans are with the car..if your planning to modify it heavily with suspension/power/handling/styling/cosmetic mods then I'd say your wasting your money buying a P1 as a decent Type R would make a good base car for you and you'd be able to buy one for less than a P1.

If on the other hand your planning on owning it for the foreseeable future and looking at keeping it relatively standard in both looks and handling/power then as a long term investment a P1 is surely the way to go.

Whichever route you go down..a decent Ecutek remap form the likes of Bob Rawle is a must to get the car running safely and as it should on V-Power fuel. Budget around £350-400 for this into your purchase cost as it is essential in my opinion..even though the P1's were UK car's and Prodrive tried to address the fueling issue's it's the first thing any classic Impreza owner should do IMO.

Also fit a set of gauges for oil temp/pressure/boost to give you a clear picture of what's going on under the bonnet when driving.

I've had my P1 for 6 years now and even though it only come's out every summer as it's on a SORN most of the year..I absolutely love it..it's a very special car.
Agree 100%
This guy knows exactly what he is talking about.
Although i have seen a few Type R's going for more money than some P1's these days....