Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the 2014/15 STI

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2015, 10:14 AM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thoughts on the 2014/15 STI

Looking at the New STI later this week at my local dealer, is there any known issues with theses ones? ringlands? head gaskets etc??

cheers
Old 20 January 2015, 12:12 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

What a brand new one?
Old 20 January 2015, 12:14 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comes to something when these questions need asking at all.
Old 20 January 2015, 12:53 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

yes new
Old 20 January 2015, 01:06 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I can tell, it's the same engine as before but I've not heard of any problems with them. To be fair there's only one MY2011+ car I've heard of with an issue, it would appear the issue was sorted with a map.

Even then I'd say buy a 340bhp one from Mangoletsi Subaru with a five year warranty and you don't have to worry about any more than running it. They go well and are lovely to drive.
Old 20 January 2015, 01:29 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

thank you.
Old 20 January 2015, 01:37 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

heard of no issues, only thing i heard was the boot rattled which they fixed and offered a fix with anyone who had that issue.

lushas looking car!
Old 20 January 2015, 03:48 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Only issues I've had with mine (bear in mind it's one of the earlier ones so these have been fixed on ones now coming over) are the sticky fuel filler flap - fixed under warranty, and the bootlid problem (going to be fixed under warranty as soon as the parts get here). Other than that I'm well pleased so far.
Old 20 January 2015, 06:48 PM
Bogtrotter
Scooby Newbie

Picking my nearly new one up on Saturday. TonyG, what's the bootlid problem you've got?
Old 20 January 2015, 07:20 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a saloon (the previous shape) currently in at API getting rebuilt..... excessive oil usage, so I suspect it's the ringlands.

Hearing about issues with these recent scoobs won't be easy..... they haven't sold that many and most who bought these don't frequent this forum.

Subaru manufacturers warranty is imperative imo, at least then you don't have to worry should the worse happen. However, you need to be sensible and consider "no modding" during your warranty period. It appears that IM will do whatever they can not to pay out on warranty claims if your car has been modified etc...... can't blame a manufacturer for doing this, but it's a worthy note that they don't appear to turn a blind eye.
Old 21 January 2015, 01:16 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Hello, I've recently bought a new STI and this was a concern for me too, apparently the mapping is much better in the latest model and this helps to some extent. That being said I'm glad of the manufacturers warranty and mine will be staying bog standard for 3 years, 300 hp is more than enough for normal road use. If I keep it longer than 3 years (I probably will as it's a great motor) I'll do a bit of sensible modifying and get it forged.
First month of ownership has been fantastic so far, really happy with the car
Old 21 January 2015, 10:28 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Bootlid - the early ones that came over had boot bump stops/boot seal that were too soft. This gave slightly excessive movement that resulted in paint chips on the top corner edges of the bootlid. Nothing is actually loose or liable to fall off. It's now been fixed by Subaru. There were some commets about it in a thread on here (Think it was the 2015 STi thread in Members Gallery).
Old 21 January 2015, 02:35 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Post some pictures up when you get it, what colour you gone for?

Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Picking my nearly new one up on Saturday. TonyG, what's the bootlid problem you've got?
Old 21 January 2015, 04:58 PM
Bogtrotter
Scooby Newbie

Excuse my ignorance but thought I could just attach a jpeg of the pics to the thread...obviously not. Don't do social media so got no pics on facetube or anything like that to add a link. Anyhow, it's blue with black wheels and standard. Replacing my Hawkeye Sti which I had for nearly 8 years. Time for a change and to splash some cash. Roll on Saturday....

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Post some pictures up when you get it, what colour you gone for?
Old 22 January 2015, 08:45 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Excuse my ignorance but thought I could just attach a jpeg of the pics to the thread...obviously not. Don't do social media so got no pics on facetube or anything like that to add a link. Anyhow, it's blue with black wheels and standard. Replacing my Hawkeye Sti which I had for nearly 8 years. Time for a change and to splash some cash. Roll on Saturday....
Get an account on photobucket then copy n paste the IMG tags, then post your pics in the 2015STi thread in the members gallery
Old 22 January 2015, 08:54 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Hearing about issues with these recent scoobs won't be easy..... they haven't sold that many and most who bought these don't frequent this forum.
Absolute tosh and inaccurate. The UK allocation sold like hot cakes 3 times over. With demand being high that getting the colour you wanted was difficult. Subaru dealers wanted and needed more stock to satisfy the demand. Subaru have had record sales globally as well compared to prior years for all models, sales of the the WRX and STI are at their highest levels ever, they hit the 500k mark for all models sold last year. The STi allocation to the UK was a lot lower than say to the US or AUS that's all.

Oh and i'll just leave this here Mr AMG
Old 22 January 2015, 09:17 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I was referring to anything post the hatch (as the Saloon engine is directly comparable to this current generation), so apologise for that misunderstanding. Numbers have been small in reality, in the context of attaining any reasonable indication on reliability. I also stand by the fact that most owners don't frequent this forum.... which won't help in you or anyone else finding out regardless, about any issues that have been experienced.

Take that lap time as your crowning glory sir.... shall I pull one out the bag where the MY15 STI got roasted by a M135i in a track timing test. I perhaps wouldn't go there if I were you.

This place is getting worse.
Old 22 January 2015, 09:28 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Directly comparable? really? even though the internal materials are different?

Joking aside, i was surprised by that table as much as you probably are but to be honest the A45 should nuke the STi in any situation as it has 55bhp more in stock trim and a trick gearbox, but well it didn't. The STi probably made up the huge 1 tenth of time difference in the twisties, or it just handles better and is more fun to drive
Old 22 January 2015, 09:43 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Where does it say the internals are different - not taking the ****, genuine question.

The only thing I'm surprised about is the fact the engine was still in one piece, at the end of that Subaru run.
Old 22 January 2015, 10:08 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Where does it say the internals are different - not taking the ****, genuine question.
heh ok, the materials used have been refined, I've heard it a few times from differing sources, but nothing concrete to prove it unfortunately. To be honest it's obviously just sales talk, the engine is obviously the same, except for the intercooler which is redesigned and a map which doesn't det the **** out of it from the factory

The only thing I'm surprised about is the fact the engine was still in one piece, at the end of that Subaru run.
Hah that's a typical anti 2.5 quote
Old 22 January 2015, 10:20 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I don't hide my utter disgust with the 2.5. it's a floored design period. Whereas the 2ltr is a great engine, even though it's long in the tooth now.

The reason that the 2.5 was retained, was the defining reason why I've left the fold. Had it contained the 2ltr, a MY15 would be sat in my garage now.
Old 22 January 2015, 10:33 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

I don't hide my utter disgust with the 2.5. it's a floored design period. Whereas the 2ltr is a great engine, even though it's long in the tooth now.

The reason that the 2.5 was retained, was the defining reason why I've left the fold. Had it contained the 2ltr, a MY15 would be sat in my garage now.
Shaun, shaun shaun its not flawed, get a decent map on it, maintain it properly, don't mod it to 400+ and then go "rallying" its a fine road engine. Having said that if mine didn't come with the 340 map n 5yr warranty i would have probably done the same as you I do have an extra 8K in my pocket though
Old 22 January 2015, 10:39 PM
Tail Slider
BANNED

shall I pull one out the bag where the MY15 STI got roasted by a M135i in a track timing test. I perhaps wouldn't go there if I were you.
I read an article last year where the 2015 Impreza went up against the S3 saloon, it was a similar outcome, a sorry second best.

It saddens me to say that the days have gone where the Impreza is the "everyday mans" supercar, its been left behind by far better machinery which has learnt from previous models and evolved.
Old 22 January 2015, 10:58 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tail Slider
I read an article last year where the 2015 Impreza went up against the S3 saloon, it was a similar outcome, a sorry second best.

It saddens me to say that the days have gone where the Impreza is the "everyday mans" supercar, its been left behind by far better machinery which has learnt from previous models and evolved.
Yea but have you driven a new S3? they are as dull as **** to drive. It's not all about track times and 0-60 you know. The new STi is a hoot to drive, which i guess you haven't tried either.
The following users liked this post:
Old 22 January 2015, 11:20 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bioforger
Shaun, shaun shaun its not flawed, get a decent map on it, maintain it properly, don't mod it to 400+ and then go "rallying" its a fine road engine. Having said that if mine didn't come with the 340 map n 5yr warranty i would have probably done the same as you I do have an extra 8K in my pocket though
Are you seriously telling me that increasing the capacity of a block designed for 2ltrs to 2.5ltrs is not flawed? Especially when you compare the cylinder wall thickness between the two capacities. This is even without talking about the standard pistons installed, which appear to suffer with resonance issues, together with other vital parts like the oil pickup pipe fracturing.... Also possibly to do with resonance. You want me to go on?
Old 22 January 2015, 11:35 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Are you seriously telling me that increasing the capacity of a block designed for 2ltrs to 2.5ltrs is not flawed? Especially when you compare the cylinder wall thickness between the two capacities. This is even without talking about the standard pistons installed, which appear to suffer with resonance issues, together with other vital parts like the oil pickup pipe fracturing.... Also possibly to do with resonance. You want me to go on?
Sigh, flawed in what sense? when you put 400+bhp through it? sure its flawed, if you're running it stock OR within its design limits as a daily, nah. And the oil pickup pipe was only an issue in the 2008 models, change the record and move on, which you already have, why the constant hate? its pretty childish imo.
Old 22 January 2015, 11:53 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Bioforger,
Take off your rose tinted glasses.

This is not about hate, it's based on personal experiences, experiences of friends and experiences of some of the known professionals who are part of this community. The cracking of the oil pick up is not just specific to MY08's.

One of my proper mates has recently had to have his engine rebuilt for the second time, under warranty. Running 320bhp the bottom end rumbled, upon further research this is not uncommon apparently. Upon strip down the block was twisted.

Anyway.... You've obviously convinced yourself these engines are fine. I truly hope you have zero issues (genuinely). Let's leave it at that.
Old 22 January 2015, 11:54 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Oh trust me I am under no illusions that its bulletproof, no engine is. And i will as i'll probably sell it before it goes pop
Old 23 January 2015, 07:12 AM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

Just sold my 2012 STI, 350hp from first day, now 50.000km, no problem at all. Waiting for new one.
Old 23 January 2015, 10:53 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SineSTI
Just sold my 2012 STI, 350hp from first day, now 50.000km, no problem at all. Waiting for new one.
Impossible! they will all blow up due to a flawed design according to Shaun

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 2014/15 STI