Sponsored by:

Scoobies in snow 2014

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2014, 04:45 PM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoobies in snow 2014

Ok so some parts of the country seem to have had a few cm of snow and the papers are filled with pics of stuck 2wd vehicles or landrovers pulling lorries

I bought my scooby wrx specifically for use in the snow as its hilly round here and 4wd is often a must unless you like walking particularly

I had a tricked up discovery 2 for a long while previously but fancied a weekend toy i would enjoy more all year round

Always felt the dicsco was overkill for snow on the roads most of the time and also being so heavy was susceptible to sliding down steep icy hills ( 4x4 or diff lock doesnt help there )

Anyway plan was to fit winter tyres on the impreza but havent got round to that this year yet but its a wrx on 17s and not lowered so hoping itll do ok

So whose been out in theirs and is it a wrx/sti ,,, snow tyres or not ? Was it any good ? And finally post up your pics :-)
Old 27 December 2014, 05:15 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyskool
Ok so some parts of the country seem to have had a few cm of snow and the papers are filled with pics of stuck 2wd vehicles or landrovers pulling lorries

I bought my scooby wrx specifically for use in the snow as its hilly round here and 4wd is often a must unless you like walking particularly

I had a tricked up discovery 2 for a long while previously but fancied a weekend toy i would enjoy more all year round

Always felt the dicsco was overkill for snow on the roads most of the time and also being so heavy was susceptible to sliding down steep icy hills ( 4x4 or diff lock doesnt help there )

Anyway plan was to fit winter tyres on the impreza but havent got round to that this year yet but its a wrx on 17s and not lowered so hoping itll do ok

So whose been out in theirs and is it a wrx/sti ,,, snow tyres or not ? Was it any good ? And finally post up your pics :-)
Drove back from Wales last night, snow on Heads of Valleys, M42, M6 and most of A14.

Pretty uneventful really and a couple of inches has never bothered me in any car.

My EVO VII was the best car I ever drove in the snow, although I did have cold wether tyres on it for the winter months.
Old 27 December 2014, 05:18 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On summer tyres? not really. It'll be great at moving off the mark and up hills, but introduce some speed and then braking and its just like any other car on snow and ice imo and will slide all over the shop. Get those winter boots on, then the AWD will be a blast.
Old 27 December 2014, 05:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what anyone says, without winter tyres you will have difficulty in any car, even a Subaru, on snow.
People will say they can make head way, and you can, its just when you want to turn or stop that you figure out you cant and either hit something or sh*t yourself as you just miss something, with the winter boots the car will stop and turn (which is what you want ) and wet weather braking is vastly improved over summer tyres in cold weather

Tony
Old 27 December 2014, 05:48 PM
Bean592
Scooby Regular

Drove mine yesterday for the first time in the snow and with the winter tires on was absolutely superb, even some of the big 4x4's were really struggling but the Scoob just kept going, must say very impressed
Old 27 December 2014, 06:35 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

This is what you all need:

Old 27 December 2014, 07:19 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Not driven in it yet this year but over last few years have changed to winter tyres and they totally transform the car in the snow even awd struggles with re070 tyres but with correct rubber confidence improves a lot. I got a spare set of wheels and just put some cheap winter tyres on them.
Old 27 December 2014, 09:00 PM
stiMIGHTYsti
Scooby Regular

I drove last year in modded WRX was spot on. Never got stuck. This year got STI (standard just PPP) was given set of winter tyres with car but can't see me swapping over. Unless it get really bad. But will be fun either way!!
Old 27 December 2014, 09:02 PM
jaf2212
Scooby Regular

I've been out playing in minew today, driven from West London with no snow to Lincolnshire with a nice covering.

This was the main reason I got my impreza last week and had Vred winter tyres fitted. Made it all the way without issues whilst watching others sliding all over
Old 27 December 2014, 11:48 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Thought you might find this interesting !

Last edited by albob; 27 December 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 28 December 2014, 01:20 AM
jacob360
Scooby Regular

also a good one

looks like its time for my winter shoes to go on
Old 28 December 2014, 10:19 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiMIGHTYsti
I drove last year in modded WRX was spot on. Never got stuck. This year got STI (standard just PPP) was given set of winter tyres with car but can't see me swapping over. Unless it get really bad. But will be fun either way!!

Winter tyres aren't just for the snow they are better in cold conditions also swap them over
Old 28 December 2014, 10:39 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

I've got nankang's fitted and I can't believe how good they are compared to - toyo t1r, re050, even vred ssessantas

I was at the bottom of a steep hill yesterday, a van and 2 cars in front of me couldn't manage to get up, so when they moved out of my way I had a go, hardly any wheelspin and I just went flying up the hill

Tried to have some fun in some fresh snow in an industrial estate car park, but the tyres kept finding grip, couldn't even manage to do a donut
Old 29 December 2014, 01:11 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
Thought you might find this interesting !

Winter Tyres or 4x4: which is best? - Auto Express - YouTube
I do hope all the 'I can go anywhere in my awd Scoob, there's no need for winter tyres' brigade have watched that video!
Old 29 December 2014, 01:20 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

yay its snowed a little bit and the usual i overtook everything on the road as i have awd thread has appeared.
ive always found the impreza to be just as bad as a 2wd cars in the snow, its the tyres that provide the grip, once they spin you have no control despite what people will tell you, this is why this week there will be plenty of threads about damaged wheels and bent track rods etc.
Old 29 December 2014, 01:21 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
I've got nankang's fitted and I can't believe how good they are compared to - toyo t1r, re050, even vred ssessantas

I was at the bottom of a steep hill yesterday, a van and 2 cars in front of me couldn't manage to get up, so when they moved out of my way I had a go, hardly any wheelspin and I just went flying up the hill

Tried to have some fun in some fresh snow in an industrial estate car park, but the tyres kept finding grip, couldn't even manage to do a donut
then you either have a low powered wrx or cant drive, i can do donuts in the dry if i wanted, which i dont because you look a massive ****.
Old 29 December 2014, 07:21 AM
Captainfunbags
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aww man I thought this was gonna be a picture thread,
Old 29 December 2014, 08:59 AM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Captainfunbags
Aww man I thought this was gonna be a picture thread,
Lol so did i !

Fwiw it defo wasnt thread to ask if winter tyres are better - thats a no brainer

More interested to see pics of how bad it really is around the country as papers often report somewhat over exageratedly
Old 29 December 2014, 09:42 AM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
i can do donuts in the dry if i wanted
You must have a cheaptrackspeccwannabelookalikethatyouhavemodified cosyou'reallowedto,butnobodyelseisallowedtocosyous ayso that can do donuts Bro
Old 29 December 2014, 09:50 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
You must have a cheaptrackspeccwannabelookalikethatyouhavemodified cosyou'reallowedto,butnobodyelseisallowedtocosyous ayso that can do donuts Bro
Get yourself down maccy DS for some donut advice,watch you don't bust your poverty spec gearbox
Old 29 December 2014, 10:27 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

yay its snowed a little bit and the usual i overtook everything on the road as i have awd thread has appeared.
ive always found the impreza to be just as bad as a 2wd cars in the snow, its the tyres that provide the grip, once they spin you have no control despite what people will tell you, this is why this week there will be plenty of threads about damaged wheels and bent track rods etc.
Did you actually say that 2wd is similar to a 4wd
The whole point of a subaru is for the car to be able to find more grip in slippery conditions.(it's based on a rally car)

Subaru's are way better than 2wd in snow, ice, mud etc and to suggest that "it's the tyres that provide the grip" as if that's the only factor is bull.
If you do start to spin try letting off the brakes and assuming you're in the correct gear the 4wd will provide some engine braking and may help.

PS id rather have a new well sorted 2wd with GOOD winter tyres on than a Subaru with summer tyres on in the snow and ice .

Last edited by Carnut; 29 December 2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 29 December 2014, 10:37 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Carnut
Did you actually say that 2wd is similar to a 4wd
The whole point of a subaru is for the car to be able to find more grip in slippery conditions.(it's based on a rally car)

Subaru's are way better than 2wd in snow, ice, mud etc and to suggest that "it's the tyres that provide the grip" as if that's the only factor is bull.
If you do start to spin try letting off the brakes and assuming you're in the correct gear the 4wd will provide some engine braking and may help.

PS id rather have a new well sorted 2wd with GOOD winter tyres on than a Subaru with summer tyres on in the snow and ice .
No unlike you I've been on here a while and every time it snows a thread appears about how amazing an impreza is in the snow when the fact is its not as great as some claim.
Winter tyres are what perform the best,summer tyres on 4wd don't offer a lot of grip on compacted snow and ice.
But hey maybe its all rumor like the 2.5 being crap
Old 29 December 2014, 10:43 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

No unlike you I've been on here a while and every time it snows a thread appears about how amazing an impreza is in the snow when the fact is its not as great as some claim.
Winter tyres are what perform the best,summer tyres on 4wd don't offer a lot of grip on compacted snow and ice.
I'm sure you do get people thinking there great in snow and have magical powers, and winter tyres are the best option as I've said but you were saying a subaru is the same or similar to a 2wd which is bull.
Old 29 December 2014, 10:49 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

I'm sure you do get people thinking there great in snow and have magical powers, and winter tyres are the best option as I've said but you were saying a subaru is the same or similar to a 2wd which is bull.
Its no good on summer tyres the end...
On light snow its probably better if you can get some grip,on ice and compacted snow in my opinion its no better.
Winter tyres are what's needed and this would make the awd car far better.
Old 29 December 2014, 12:27 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Spot on post
Old 29 December 2014, 12:37 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Old 29 December 2014, 01:31 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't doubt the effectiveness of Winter Tyres - that is not really a fair comparison between a Subaru on summer and a front wheel drive on winters

as the guy admits at 3.53 the Kugar is not permanent 4 wheel drive - but the Subaru is

I have been in an imprezza in the Alps on Summers (skiing) and it was 100% better than the vectra that some friends had i.e. we made it all the way to the chalet slowly, but safely and in control, we also went back and picked up the occupants of the Vectra - who were facing a 3 mile walk

That to me is what 4x4's are all about - not about fitting winters and driving like it's a warm summers day
Old 29 December 2014, 01:34 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

just to point out imprezas arent 4x4's they are awd but this explains the general understanding of scabbynet.
Old 29 December 2014, 01:37 PM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

4x4 = 4 wheels driven by 4 wheels doesnt it ?

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/4x4

Last edited by scoobyskool; 29 December 2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 29 December 2014, 01:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I don't doubt the effectiveness of Winter Tyres - that is not really a fair comparison between a Subaru on summer and a front wheel drive on winters

as the guy admits at 3.53 the Kugar is not permanent 4 wheel drive - but the Subaru is

I have been in an imprezza in the Alps on Summers (skiing) and it was 100% better than the vectra that some friends had i.e. we made it all the way to the chalet slowly, but safely and in control, we also went back and picked up the occupants of the Vectra - who were facing a 3 mile walk

That to me is what 4x4's are all about - not about fitting winters and driving like it's a warm summers day
Sorry, but the tyres are more important than the drive system. It's kind of obvious from an engineering perspective even though the marketing departments would like you to believe otherwise.

Two years I was able to drive up the 1 in 4 road to my house in my crappy old Volvo V40 on Vredestein Wintracs whereas the guy in the Range Rover on his standard tyres was stuck with all four wheels spinning! Unlike most of you on here I am no driving God and it was simply a case of the tyres doing a fantastic job. Oh and and I think we can class a Range Rover as 'proper' all wheel drive.

Quick Reply: Scoobies in snow 2014