Sponsored by:

hawkeye 2.0r sport

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2014, 08:28 AM
jonnyricer2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye 2.0r sport

Hi there im looking for a nippy safe reliable estate and the the hawkeye 2.o r sprt looks like a good option but how good are they??
Any one have one or had one??
Are they super reliable is the gearing good for motorways etc

I dont need a turbo as I already have 2 classic sti s.

The missus will be using it most of the time for kids etc but will be using it for up and down the country driving aswell

Cheers
Old 20 December 2014, 11:28 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Hiya

I have got one - great little car - 160 bhp which may not be much these days but it enough for me.

I use it to tow a two berth caravan which it does great.

The first thing I did was put 4 pot Calipers and mintex 1155's on the front as the standard brakes were woeful.

It's a quiet car up to about 3.5k rpm - after that it sounds nice (I have a standard exhaust - looking to upgrade to a Prodrive rear box but will need to change the centre section as well as it 2.25 inches).

I hope this helps.

Andy.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:55 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Funny enought was looking at one the other day. Not planning on getting one just yet but was thinking be ideal in furture. Have you thought about the 1.5R would be cheaper to run and tax, 105bhp which although not amazing all depends what your looking for

Originally Posted by jonnyricer2
Hi there im looking for a nippy safe reliable estate and the the hawkeye 2.o r sprt looks like a good option but how good are they??
Any one have one or had one??
Are they super reliable is the gearing good for motorways etc

I dont need a turbo as I already have 2 classic sti s.

The missus will be using it most of the time for kids etc but will be using it for up and down the country driving aswell

Cheers
Old 20 December 2014, 12:29 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Personally I would not bother mate, at the end of the day you will get the idiots thinking its a turbo Impreza and race up inches of your back bumper which wont be nice for your missus when she got the kids in the car, I find Impreza's seem to attracted these tailgaters no matter if its a turbo or not, and you wont get very good MPG from something thats not really a performance car and the road tax is £285 a year!!

Plenty of decent estate cars out there, unfortunately the hawkeye sport isn't one of them!!
Old 20 December 2014, 01:17 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW E39 Touring 5 series 3 litre petrol. Can pick up a decent one for £3k and is one of the sweetest 5 series made, just read the reviews...
Old 20 December 2014, 03:29 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just brought a saloon 2.0R Sport a few months ago and have a Turbo classic which has been my daily driver for 8 years.

The R is reasonably quick (obviously nothing compared to a turbo) but you have to keep the revs high. I love that increased refinement over the classics and things like HID lights, decent climate control etc are all very nice. It is far more civilized and handles very well but is twitchy when its wet...

Downsides. It doesn't have much torque and this can be felt. Economy is crap. I was hoping for close to 40mpg but its more like 33... thats only a bit more then my classic turbo. Tax is the same as my classic turbo. Rear seats don't spilt like my classic does! But that's not an issue for the estate. Fifth isn't really high enough for motorways as you are at around 3100rpm if I remember rightly. Could do with a sixth for cruising.

All things considered if you want a good estate I would pick something else. But if like me you just want a slightly more practical car that's still an Impreza go for it just don't expect great MPG.

Last edited by FMJ; 20 December 2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 20 December 2014, 05:22 PM
Andaru
Scooby Regular

If you want a proper estate and to keep the boy racers at bay I'd be looking at a Forester or Legacy/Outback, you're as well getting the turbo version as the MPG is almost identical and you get all that extra oomph
Old 20 December 2014, 05:44 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

I usually hate bashing lower models but i have to agree get her a wrx wagon and tell her the warm up cool down basics. Id probley go for a blobeye with the 2l aswell
Old 20 December 2014, 05:56 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

P.s just had a look at the 1.5? 103bhp in a big heavy 4WD estate.. Does it even move?
Old 21 December 2014, 10:38 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

0-60 13.3 according to parkers for the 1.5l

8.5 for the hawk 2.0l sport, which isn't too shabby for the weight and tranny losses. With it being 135kg lighter than an Hawk STI I'd be willing to throw a few grand modding one of these and maybe catching a few Scoobs out who don't feel they have to launch or drop down a gear! Lightweight seats, spare/jack removal, aircon/bumper bar removal and suddenly you're at classic weight without turbo lag!

The 1.5l wagon is a noticeably lighter car though, almost classic weight OOTB, 185kg lighter than the Hawk STI, I would have thought 40mpg possible on long runs. Pointless to mod unless for MPG benefits.
Old 21 December 2014, 11:12 AM
Andaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
And suddenly you're at classic weight without turbo lag!
And more importantly - without a turbo all together.

It's like saying 'I've found the cure for hangovers! I've banned alcohol'
Old 21 December 2014, 03:36 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
0-60 13.3 according to parkers for the 1.5l

8.5 for the hawk 2.0l sport, which isn't too shabby for the weight and tranny losses. With it being 135kg lighter than an Hawk STI I'd be willing to throw a few grand modding one of these and maybe catching a few Scoobs out who don't feel they have to launch or drop down a gear! Lightweight seats, spare/jack removal, aircon/bumper bar removal and suddenly you're at classic weight without turbo lag!

The 1.5l wagon is a noticeably lighter car though, almost classic weight OOTB, 185kg lighter than the Hawk STI, I would have thought 40mpg possible on long runs. Pointless to mod unless for MPG benefits.
Ok with that few grand to mod it, what would you do?? once you put a full exhaust/decat and maybe a aftermarket manifold/headers on anything over that will cost big money, Forget mapping as a N/A car wont make any significant gains, Air filter(waste of time), maybe a set of cams?? Cant see it making to much power. N/A cars are a waste of time trying to tune up, My mate had a Civic Type R and he spent a shed load of money on the engine and managed 220bhp from memory(these start off with 200bhp) and the Honda engine is 10 times better engine then a N/A impreza engine!!

And second why would you strip a N.A impreza sport to make it faster/light as a classic when the OP stated that he wanted a car that his missus could drive with the kids in, so only a idiot would remove all the safety aspects of a car just to make it slightly lighter/ and in the real worlds would not make that much difference, apart from making it unsafe in a accident!!