Sponsored by:

UK part prices or Japanparts?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2014, 10:43 AM
SMR scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK part prices or Japanparts?

Does anyone know why UK dealers charge so much now for parts that you can buy online from abroad for much cheaper?

For example I have just made an enquiry to buy the Sti winglets, and my reply was £104.78 per side, plus £8 delivery totalling £217.56, however, for the exact same products I can get them from Japanparts for just £143 delivered and fully insured. Both come pre-painted so I don't understand why our dealers are charging so much for them.

Would I have to pay import charges using Japanparts? Even with 20% import tax on top would still make it £40-50 cheaper.

Has anyone on here used Japanparts before?
Old 08 December 2014, 12:34 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

UK suppliers are more expensive because it's less hassle. You are able to actually speak to them on the phone and delivery is usually much quicker.
I've bought stuff from japanparts before but only because at the time I couldn't get it in the UK.
The last item was a roof flap handle, was something like £30 plus a bit for delivery. It arrived in the UK and I received a bill for £22 to cover import duty. What looked cheap to begin with ended up being bloody expensive. Especially as ICP now stock them for about £35.
Old 08 December 2014, 12:55 PM
SMR scoob
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure why your import duty would have been that much, thats almost 75% of the items original cost, did you not enquire to why is was so much? I was under the impression import duty was just to cover tax rated at 20% of the items cost?
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used them twice as didn't realise the bits I ordered were avaliable over here (tbh didn't look too hard).

1 part go through with no extra to pay,other part I got stung for handling fees and import duty.
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered about £250 worth of suspension nuts and bolts from here:

http://www.carparts-pros.com/page_1_3.php#oeformo

Every part was about 10% cheaper then UK Subaru and it's all genuine Subaru parts.

It took about two and a half weeks to arrive but that was because some it it was ordered from Japan (You get the same issue with Uk dealers).

Postage was 16 euros and no Import or VAT as it's in the EU.

Great service and only a tiny bit more hassle then using UK Subaru. I used to order on a regular basis from my local dealer but over the past year when ever I phone up the parts department isn't available and they say they will call me back. Over ten times now my calls have not been returned. I complained to Subaru UK who appologised and somebody called me and sorted out what I wanted. But every other time afterwards it's gone back to **** service again.

So that's fine, UK dealers can swivel.

The only thing with the site above is that 16 euros would be a lot of postage to pay for just a small item. But for bigger orders its worth it. I saved about £40-50 all in on a £250 order.
Old 08 December 2014, 01:04 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR scoob
I'm not sure why your import duty would have been that much, thats almost 75% of the items original cost, did you not enquire to why is was so much? I was under the impression import duty was just to cover tax rated at 20% of the items cost?
Me neither, I was pretty shocked when the bill came through the door to be honest. But I wanted the item and just couldn't be arsed messing around so just paid it.
Old 08 December 2014, 05:10 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bill for a ¥6000 (approx £32) item was £8.78 import vat and £13.50 for Clearance fee!
Old 08 December 2014, 07:16 PM
Andaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SMR scoob
Most places charge an admin fee for working out what taxes you're due, eg. Fedex charge £16 + whatever you are due the taxman.