Sponsored by:

One step closer to owning the car and so frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2014, 03:48 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One step closer to owning the car and so frustrated

Hey all, how is everybody? Just thought I'd share some progress so far as I have paid for the car but as of now still don't have it!!!!

So I was the one who was asking questions about which Subaru to go for and after some great advice I went and bought a 2001 Bugeye JDM Prodrive from Max at Hurst Cars.

I paid the deposit for this car on 30th October (£500) when I was away - took a chance based upon reputation, during this time Max did a service, cam belt, put 4 new tyres on it as well as respraying the spoiler. I got back and finally went to Hurst to see the car last Tuesday (11th). When I first saw it I was totally overwhelmed - bearing in mind the car is 13 years old it certainly was impressive to look at (you cannot see how fresh the paintwork appears until you actually see it in the flesh). The only cosmetic details left to sort are the sills on the back windows where the black has gone silver - somehting im sure i can get sorted, and a tiny ding on the rear-right door which I dont feel too bothered about. Also I need to buy an sti badge for the rear if anyone can recommend a place to get this then i would be gratetful (plus the WRX badge too) So after Max pops the bonnet and the engine bay looks like you could eat your dinner from it I can safely say that my first impressions were very good indeed. Max had deliberately not started the car so that I could see how it started from cold and it started first time with no effort and seemed to idle perfectly too. The car seems to be fairly quiet with a little grumble from the back, reminding you it is an Impreza which suits me just fine. I paid extra to have the speedo converted to MPH as well as have the mileage set from KM to miles (neither of these were done when i drove it, but hopefully they are now). This cost around £125 which i thought was fair. So next thing is to take it out. I have to say the seats were very figure hugging which was reassuring (not sure if the JDM's are more so than the UK's). Needless to say I was completely blown away by the performance, the car is a rocket, as i mentioned before i haven't really ever driven these cars before but still it felt insanely fast. I cannot believe anyone would produce a car to perform like this from standard out of the factory. The quick shift box felt tight and it pulled in 4th gear like it was in 2nd. I didn't manage to throw it round a bend as it didn't really feel appropriate in a test drive situation. Also I couldnt tell if the brakes were pin point as I didn't stand on them too much, they felt quite hard on the foot if that makes sense - maybe at some point they will need doing but they felt safe. The only things I noticed was that the rev counter was quite sticky if that makes sense? It felt a bit slow and unresponsive but Max agreed to have it looked at. The other thing was at over 70 mph the passenger window sill was very loud - I agreed that I wold take care of this. So the next thing that happens is that we get back to Max's yard and I instantly pay him the rest of the money as I feel that the car is a truly great example.

Here is where I am at now. Firstly the car is not officially registered in the UK just yet as Max is still waiting for some final form from the HMRC to certify its importation status (I presume this is normal). OIt is still in Max's yard with no number plates. He has advised me to be the one who registers the car first in the UK as it looks good for when I sell it on - being the first and only UK owner and all. So I learn this is going to be another £190 - ok I can swallow this. He gives me all of the paperwork he has (Notice of deportation, service book, pro drive certificate and also a blue form which is the application for a log book) as well as a receipt. He agrees to send me this final HMRC form when it arrives so that I can fill this log book form in and finalise the registration. When I get home and try to fill in the form and the details they ask for are so vast that i have to send it back to him to do, lol meanwhile i get a call for a job away. So i am now in Malta having paid £7,000 for the car (reduced from £7,250) plus £190 for the registration. Max still hasn't received this form and even when he does its probably going to be another two weeks (if not longer because of the christmas period) before its registered. It just feels like a long process. Also I guess I will have to pay for the tax now too?

The thing I am wondering is should this process really take 2 months? Should I have had an inspection> And should I expect to be able to drive it by the 11th December which is the day i return to the UK because the while process seems very slow.

I give Max a great review generally as I believe he picks his cars well (his showroom is very impressive) and is responsive and professional when dealing with his clients, its just frustrating when you're looking forward to something and there is always a hold up.

Any how I am one step closer!!!

Last edited by lloydsound; 22 November 2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 22 November 2014, 04:24 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get the registration thing as if it were me I would want to be the first registered keeper, and I don't blame Max for not registering it because us Subaru owners are a right bunch of funny *******.

I waited just over 3 months for my first Subaru as I wanted it to be on an 04 plate and the weather was crap so didn't see the point in getting a new car in january when the roads were full of salt and grit, which was a bit of a pain but I had a car so no big deal, just made me like it even more and gave me time to plan and save for mods.
Old 22 November 2014, 04:28 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Be patient fella, all will come in good time. Best things come to those who wait.
Old 22 November 2014, 05:04 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydsound
The thing I am wondering is should this process really take 2 months? Should I have had an inspection> And should I expect to be able to drive it by the 11th December which is the day i return to the UK because the while process seems very slow.
Can do I'm afraid, a mate of mine imported an F150 from the states and that took months to get the paperwork sorted.
Old 22 November 2014, 06:05 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

GRRRRRRRRR
Old 22 November 2014, 06:14 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Anyway here are some pics although there are no registration plates, maybe i will get some newer ones

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/lloydsound/library/

Lloyd
Old 22 November 2014, 06:45 PM
Melvatron
Scooby Regular

Patients mate, it will be worth it. you'll have a smile from ear to ear :-)
Old 22 November 2014, 06:48 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

My dads having a similar issue with a private plate , taking forever to get off the car
Old 22 November 2014, 06:52 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Max assures me it'll be before christmas but cant promise it'll be before the 11th
Old 22 November 2014, 06:53 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks to be a sti prodrive style the model code should be GDBB4KH, also the seats in the bug sti were the best out of the newage for tightness and hugging lol
Old 22 November 2014, 08:25 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Great to know, thanks. I have to say that despite never having driven one of these it felt EXTREMELY quick. I wonder if it has had some bits done to it?
Old 22 November 2014, 08:28 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydsound
Great to know, thanks. I have to say that despite never having driven one of these it felt EXTREMELY quick. I wonder if it has had some bits done to it?
JDM cars were around 300-310bhp out of the box, so will be no slouch even as standard especially with the short gearing
Old 22 November 2014, 08:30 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

310!!!! You're kidding me, and what about 0-60/100 times and top speed? I'm guessing 4.9 and 155?
Old 22 November 2014, 09:09 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Actually does anybody know these facts? Have never found them anywhere, are they actually known???
Old 23 November 2014, 09:19 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Or maybe people are too scared to say, lol :-)