Sponsored by:

268mile Hawk STi for sale!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2014, 04:48 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 268mile Hawk STi for sale!!!

Just come across this hawk sti with 268mile on the clock for sale on Pistonheads for £14.500 which I think is quite cheap for basically a new car!!!
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true

And no sign of headgasket problems before anyone starts!!!
Old 25 August 2014, 04:54 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very Nice
Old 25 August 2014, 04:54 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Good find that! Not a bad price with that mileage
Old 25 August 2014, 05:52 PM
Fai17
Scooby Regular

Wow
Old 25 August 2014, 06:13 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A good find and no doubt a fine car for someone, but who loves that model enough to pay that kind of money for it?
Old 25 August 2014, 06:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

50 miles per service,,, lol
Old 25 August 2014, 06:33 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Cambelt replaced?

PS it's not even run in properly is it?
Old 25 August 2014, 08:10 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not long till the cylinder head goes then
Old 25 August 2014, 08:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

no i wouldnt touch it myself. not for that price anyway
Old 25 August 2014, 10:16 PM
Ade WRX
Scooby Regular

Bit of a rubbish advert for a 268 miles from new car, I would have liked to see a lot more detail & better pictures. I would expect the owner to be singing its praises in the ad.
Old 25 August 2014, 10:39 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ade WRX
Bit of a rubbish advert for a 268 miles from new car, I would have liked to see a lot more detail & better pictures. I would expect the owner to be singing its praises in the ad.
Singing its praises like "drives fantastic (probably)" ??
Old 25 August 2014, 11:05 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Powerwrx (rob) would love this mileage

Joe
Old 26 August 2014, 12:25 AM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

I would have thought that it would have the original exhaust system fitted with that mileage? Bit strange that they changed it for what looks like an Afterburner Vortex, unless they just use to start it up and rev it up

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old 26 August 2014, 12:45 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
It's an all but new car, that's never seen rain.
What else would you expect?

Nothing more is necessary.
And for what we know - 'cos we haven't been told - no running in, oil change(s), cambelt change and Lords knows what else.

Perhaps we're (I'm) too cynical ?
Old 26 August 2014, 12:49 AM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Not the first time this has been up for sale. Was up for 15k back in April when I was viewing cars.
Old 26 August 2014, 03:08 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

He's given all the info you should need, a serious buyer would just phone and have a chat to confirm whats what.

I do wonder if leaving a car to stand for that amount of time would cause issues but with it being SO unused maybe not.

Good price I say, 50k before likely suspension or hg failure if any, probably would be hard pressed to find a blob that you could get 50k out of these days with no issues although you are paying a premium.
Old 26 August 2014, 06:51 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's spec c and fresh import jdm sti money, for a 2.5 hawk. regardless of milage which I don't think it's a good thing for a car to absolutely nothing for 8/9yrs, they are better off being used in my experience and it's over priced for a car that has a very poor reputation and is not even a special edition.

I wouldn't buy it, even if I wanted one and had that budget, I'd sooner buy a 30/50k RB320.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 26 August 2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 26 August 2014, 10:25 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
That's spec c and fresh import jdm sti money, for a 2.5 hawk. regardless of milage which I don't think it's a good thing for a car to absolutely nothing for 8/9yrs, they are better off being used in my experience and it's over priced for a car that has a very poor reputation and is not even a special edition.

I wouldn't buy it, even if I wanted one and had that budget, I'd sooner buy a 30/50k RB320.
I am unsure if the car standing for that amount of time is good or bad
If it had done a few thousand miles than definitely would have some issues with rubber components but this car has done so little that all the new car oils and greases will still be providing some protection, not to mention being dry stored.

But after a bit of negotiation this car could probably be had for 14.5k which is madness for what is very nearly a new car. I think I saw a white hawk the other day for similar money just because of the colour of the paint. You say spec c well some people believe it or not like the UK hawk and dislike spec c's, and to say its not a special edition, well no but 268 miles is probably a 1 off for a hawk sti so you would be in a club all of you're own.
Old 26 August 2014, 10:42 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

stood for that long = bad, systems designed to work under pressure never fare well when left stood
Old 26 August 2014, 10:45 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
stood for that long = bad, systems designed to work under pressure never fare well when left stood
For future reference could you elaborate please? Genuine question.
Old 26 August 2014, 10:52 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru Collector 555
I would have thought that it would have the original exhaust system fitted with that mileage? Bit strange that they changed it for what looks like an Afterburner Vortex, unless they just use to start it up and rev it up

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Funny that I know a lad in Cambridge he bought a classic few year ago, couldn't afford the insurance, so It got parked up at his parents drive and he actually just used to sit in it smoking and revving it away until he sold it
Old 26 August 2014, 11:21 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Crazy thing is if someone buys it and does 30k in a year and then puts it back up for sale they'd have far less questions asked.

Strange, ultra (well hyper) low mileage brings more questions than answers.
Old 26 August 2014, 11:31 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
I am unsure if the car standing for that amount of time is good or bad
If it had done a few thousand miles than definitely would have some issues with rubber components but this car has done so little that all the new car oils and greases will still be providing some protection, not to mention being dry stored.

But after a bit of negotiation this car could probably be had for 14.5k which is madness for what is very nearly a new car. I think I saw a white hawk the other day for similar money just because of the colour of the paint. You say spec c well some people believe it or not like the UK hawk and dislike spec c's, and to say its not a special edition, well no but 268 miles is probably a 1 off for a hawk sti so you would be in a club all of you're own.
It's got a 2005 plate so that's 9 years sat doing nothing, rubbers, seals hoses, fuel lines all degrade over that length of time, condensation in the bores and headers/exhaust old fuel in the system then there's the cooling system to consider,presumably it's been started reasonably regularly and run with degraded oil and fuel in the system as well coolant that's god knows how old.

Unless it's been professionally stored and mothballed in a controlled environment I think there will be issues once it starts to get used and I doubt very much that there will be 50k of trouble free motoring to be had.

If it was professionally stored then that's a different matter, but i'd also like detailed information on the manner in which that was done.

Just parking it in a garage for the best part of 10yrs is not good enough for me to shell out £15k especially on a car with just about the worst engine subaru ever made.

Have you seen what happens to fuel after a while when left in an engine or carb, it emulsifies and ends up looking like mayo and smells like paint stripper, I have just cleaned the fuel system on my 32yr old Honda ATV and that's only sat for about a year and I dropped the fuel out of it before I put it to bed, but there was still some residue left that turned to mayo and needed stripping and cleaning out, don't fancy the job much on a subaru fuel system.
Old 26 August 2014, 11:37 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Crazy thing is if someone buys it and does 30k in a year and then puts it back up for sale they'd have far less questions asked.

Strange, ultra (well hyper) low mileage brings more questions than answers.
Yep and that would be a better proposition @ £10k than it is now, because it would be a proven vehicle with a full history commensurate with the milage, right now it's a bit of a roll of the dice.

I'd sooner buy my wagon with 109k for £3k than this for £15k.
Old 26 August 2014, 11:45 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
You wagon isn't a new car though
Neither is the one in the add, they are actually the same age.
Old 26 August 2014, 12:01 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Non-metallic components harden and crack. Usage prevents that to a large extent.

Components designed to dampen the ride, absorb energy etc. will actually aid the transmission of it, producing more vibration and other forces that parts should be protected against.

I'm not a mechanic but presumably there's a chain of events where a knackered non-metallic part of suspension can cause all sorts of problems.
Hoses don't harden because of the vibration caused by driving, so no usage, no stimulation and they'd be rock hard and liable to cracking.

Presumably an MoT test would identify a lot of potential issues but I'd be wanting the fullest possible inspection before considering paying a few thousand less.
Old 26 August 2014, 12:19 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster

Have you seen what happens to fuel after a while when left in an engine or carb, it emulsifies and ends up looking like mayo and smells like paint stripper, I have just cleaned the fuel system on my 32yr old Honda ATV and that's only sat for about a year and I dropped the fuel out of it before I put it to bed, but there was still some residue left that turned to mayo and needed stripping and cleaning out, don't fancy the job much on a subaru fuel system.
My friend is a marine engineer and has his own business and from being a young lad I have helped out and for a short time worked for him.

Two of the main jobs with out board engines is to winterise for storage and fix engines that have not been stored incorrectly.

New cars can be left standing at both ends of container/ship transportation for many months then at the dealership for a few more. I suspect that what you are saying is correct but a car with such low miles may still have the protection that new parts have. The rubber components for example with not having had to many heat cycles and been subjected to the elements.

Going back to my friends business, I ones helped unload about 40 engines that had been stored for about 20 years maybe even more from new (they had been run a few times) and even after all that time we just gave the carbs a good clean and up they fired.

Last edited by Carnut; 26 August 2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 26 August 2014, 12:28 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Non-metallic components harden and crack. Usage prevents that to a large extent.

Components designed to dampen the ride, absorb energy etc. will actually aid the transmission of it, producing more vibration and other forces that parts should be protected against.

I'm not a mechanic but presumably there's a chain of events where a knackered non-metallic part of suspension can cause all sorts of problems.
Hoses don't harden because of the vibration caused by driving, so no usage, no stimulation and they'd be rock hard and liable to cracking.

Presumably an MoT test would identify a lot of potential issues but I'd be wanting the fullest possible inspection before considering paying a few thousand less.
I suspect what you are saying is correct but these non metallic components if left on a shelf for 10 years would most likely be fine, so at what point does the change happen, ie the very first time they are used or after 1k miles.
Old 26 August 2014, 12:28 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

My friend is a marine engineer and has his own business and from being a young lad I have helped out and for a short time worked for him.

Two of the main jobs with out board engines is to winterise for storage and fix engines that have not been stored incorrectly.

New cars can be left standing at both ends of container/ship transportation for many months then at the dealership for a few more. I suspect that what you are saying is correct but a car with such low miles may still have the protection that new parts have. The rubber components for example with not having had to many heat cycles and been subjected to the elements.

Going back to my friends business, I ones helped unload about 40 engines that had been stored for about 20 years maybe even more from new (they had been run a few times) and even after all that time we just gave the carbs a good clean and up they fired.
"Two of the main jobs with out board engines is to winterise for storage and fix engines that have not been stored incorrectly."

Why fix something that's not broken ?

(Sorry, but it's p!ssing down so I can't visit my woolly friends today. Looks like an afternoon on SN)
Old 26 August 2014, 12:33 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

For future reference could you elaborate please? Genuine question.
When a system is designed its designed under certain conditions, pressure, friction, heat etc etc If you subject a system to conditions outside that specification then there's a chance it could fail. That's pretty much given for what ever object your talking about.

For example the oil system, it's designed to run at say 6 bar of oil pressure at normal working conditions what will happen to the components if they just sit there at 0 bar, or if they aren't lubricated properly the seals dry out?

We see it all the time with pumps and valves even that are designed for long standing times. I work in the water industry so we deal with systems that might sit for 6 months without use.

Break down how many point of pressure, seals and bearings there are on a car and you can count how many points there are for that type of failure, a very large amount in the critical parts of the car eg engine and gearbox.

There's also the material consideration, rubber for example. over time it perish's, goes hard cracks etc, tyres, belts etc

this is a space saver by the looks of the pic, but gives you an idea

Car's are designed to drive thousands of miles, just sitting there is totally out of design spec.

Quick Reply: 268mile Hawk STi for sale!!!