ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Well yesterday was interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2014, 09:10 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Well yesterday was interesting.

Went to work as usual with the sun shining at around 8 o'clock.
Start my journey home from Cambridge at around 2 and get a call from the Mrs saying it's raining very hard at home, sun is shining in Cambridge which is maybe 40 miles from home.
Get a little closer to home and she calls again saying the rain is quite terrible, the road and our garden is starting to flood.
I just assume she's over reacting and carry on cruising home.
I'm now maybe 15 mins from home and she calls again, this time to tell me to get a move on as the water is now flooding my garage (where the ra is) and is about to come into the house.
Of course, with the Subaru in danger (sod the house) I floor it and get home to see this.......

The pictures are of what greeted me when I returned home. It actually got higher than that.
I could not believe my eyes, we've been here for 6 years and never seen anything like this. Apparently the last time this happend was in 1947 !!!!
Anglian water, the police and fire service were all on hand but none of them could do anything, they just said we had to 'wait it out'.
According to the anglian water man the drainage system in this street is terrible and the sudden heavy downpour just overwhelmed it. Hopefully they can sort the issue out now before it happens again .
Fortunately my house is at the end of the street and it appears the road dips in the middle, this meant that the water was very very deep and the houses in the middle of the street got completely flooded. My pal next door was in bits, his entire ground floor was 3 inches deep and the floors had actually started to bow and move.

As my house is a little higher we got away with it, it was literally mm's from coming in and I suspect the cavity under the floor is filled as it did get over the top of my air bricks. My rabbit cage was floating around the garden with the rabbit still inside...lol... Also had an inch of water in my garage so the bottom of the RA's wheels got wet but I can live with that....

They give heavy rain again over the weekend apparently so will see what happens. The water has completely drained away and the garage now has sand bags around it as do the air bricks so hopefully we should be safe.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 09 August 2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09 August 2014, 09:21 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes. Bad **** Matty. This is what happens with inadequate drainage/drainage that isn't regularly cleaned.
Old 09 August 2014, 09:52 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thankfully you sent the brakes out before the rain!
Old 09 August 2014, 10:02 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

This is why we pay all the taxes for thing like our waterways and drainage to be kept in good condition,what a marvelous job we do,,long live England lol
Hope you don't get too much rain down there this weekend but I suspect even a small shower will be bad enough. GL mate
Old 09 August 2014, 10:06 AM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same happened to us last week a 20 minute monsoon & hailstone cocktail.

The council put a roundabout in the road some years ago & since then flooding has been a regular occurrence however 'There is nothing they can do!' Typical!

Fortunately for us we are higher then the road however the poor beggars across the road lie lower so once the water rises about the crest of the road it flows over to their side.
Old 09 August 2014, 10:26 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

My wife was doing her nut, we literally had new carpet laid yesterday morning before the rain and wood floors through the hall way the week before. We were so lucky it didn't come in, I've just been and collected a pump so if it starts again at least I can try and fight it.

I've been round to see next door this morning and their house is really bad, thankfully they are covered by insurance.

Just need to hope that the water company do something about these drains NOW. But, apparently there is a dispute between them and the council as to who is responsible for the drainage so no doubt nothing will get done. My council tax is £170 a month and water charges are through the roof so you'd expect them to do bloody something hey !!!!!!
Old 09 August 2014, 10:28 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Thankfully you sent the brakes out before the rain!

I did actually think that mate. Glad they arrived safe and sound
Old 09 August 2014, 12:04 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Have you seen tomorrows weather forecast?
Old 09 August 2014, 12:36 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
Have you seen tomorrows weather forecast?
Yup I think Bertha's rear end is gonna make an appearance
Old 09 August 2014, 12:37 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

The speed at what it drained may indicate how likely it is to happen again.
Old 09 August 2014, 12:42 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus Matty that was close ,I was a few miles from Peterborough yesterday and it was pretty bad there too.
Old 09 August 2014, 01:37 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Does anyone upgrade the existing drainage infrastructure when the build more houses in an area?
They have built a few small developments around my area & I didn't see any major road/drainage work. Also my water pressure is crap compared to 10 years ago.
Old 09 August 2014, 01:47 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Does anyone upgrade the existing drainage infrastructure when the build more houses in an area?
They have built a few small developments around my area & I didn't see any major road/drainage work. Also my water pressure is crap compared to 10 years ago.
They don't. The developers want profit, they're not bothered about these issues. The water authority is generally helpful in my experience but there is the grey area of responsibility. Liability is shifted from a to b while the poor homeowner is having his life upturned.
Old 09 August 2014, 01:47 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

It won't really matter in a few years time anyway because our little island will be that full will sink and everyone's gonna be covered in water
Old 09 August 2014, 09:01 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
There is generally a flow control device fitted into the sewer system before a new sewer system enters an old one, it should have capacity to hold the equivalent water from the worst storm in the last 100 years + 30% for climate change , though that is surface water only.

I would imagine some old sewer systems (for surface water at least) will be running at half capacity, having seen the state of the build up of silt in some the flooding we see more and more is no surprise.
Old 09 August 2014, 10:53 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

**** mate . My sister lives off borromore road , she rang me in a panic as her fella wasn't picking up !!

If it gets worse I got flood protection barriers for doors here , can send Carl over lol
Old 09 August 2014, 10:59 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by taylor85
**** mate . My sister lives off borromore road , she rang me in a panic as her fella wasn't picking up !!

If it gets worse I got flood protection barriers for doors here , can send Carl over lol
Cheers fella

It's been quite bad here, another pal on the other side of town still has a foot of water throughout his ground floor
Old 09 August 2014, 11:59 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pah, thats a mear ripple in the road, back in 2007, this is what greeted me on my return home lol and this was a deep road

Old 10 August 2014, 09:52 AM
328isport
Scooby Regular

jeez thats insane! Maybe worth moving the RA somewhere else until the garage is sorted, a damp garage won't do it any favours!
Old 10 August 2014, 10:25 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Well its raining again, bloody hammering down too....
The drains have already been overwhelmed so the street is starting to fill again.
I've got sand bags over all the air bricks and blocking up the garage doors so will just have to see what happens today.

The Mrs is starting to panic again, I not really that fussed. It is what it is, nothing we can do and everything is insured so let's just see what happens.

Im more concerned about the RA. Everything in the house can be replaced tomorrow if need be, but finding another STI RA Vlimited wouldn't be quite as easy LOL.......

Last edited by MattyB1983; 10 August 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10 August 2014, 10:36 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Rainning hard in Yorkshire now but I fortunately live in an area which won't flood.really hope I doesn't get too bad for you and you ra. Is there any way you can elevate the car ie axel stands?
Old 10 August 2014, 10:47 AM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Cheers fella

It's been quite bad here, another pal on the other side of town still has a foot of water throughout his ground floor
Hopefully the griffin isn't flooded over there later
Old 10 August 2014, 10:49 AM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

Park the car at tesco ?
Old 10 August 2014, 02:51 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Aaron1978
There is generally a flow control device fitted into the sewer system before a new sewer system enters an old one, it should have capacity to hold the equivalent water from the worst storm in the last 100 years + 30% for climate change , though that is surface water only.

I would imagine some old sewer systems (for surface water at least) will be running at half capacity, having seen the state of the build up of silt in some the flooding we see more and more is no surprise.
Funny how memories come back {I won't say flooding back).I remember as a kid that the big council drain cleaners would be a fairly common site.2 or 3 times a year doing routine maintenance alongside those big sweepers with the rotating brushes sweeping and sucking up the rubbish from the kerbs.When was the last time you saw one of those?.You only see them now if there is a blockage.

Last edited by legb4rsk; 10 August 2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10 August 2014, 03:08 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by taylor85
Park the car at tesco ?
lol that too was flooded and had to close lol

Saw the garage/workshop opposite on the news on Friday evening and I said to Teresa, that's Matts road Its lucky you have to drive up to your garage or it could of been so much worse mate.
Our shed was flooded by about 6" of water but our garden wasn't flooded apart form our so called veggie patch lol But the gardens around us were flooded and I think that's where most of the water came in to the shed, from others gardens Teresa spent most of the day bucketing the water from the shed yesterday to find that the rest has disappeared this morning

Poor cow, she's suffering today
Old 10 August 2014, 03:42 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Its was throwing it down from early this morning till around 2pm in Manchester.Now is belting it down even worse and the water is rising to kerb level
Old 10 August 2014, 09:14 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Conservatory roof developed a leak. I just touched the plaster board and it all came down on top of me....

Looks as though the forged 2.1 saving fund is going to take a hit this week :-(
Old 10 August 2014, 09:20 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you mate! That is certainly not the way to get air conditioning
Old 10 August 2014, 09:26 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Did you do the ceiling in your conservatory Matty?
Old 10 August 2014, 09:40 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaron1978
Did you do the ceiling in your conservatory Matty?
No chap, was like that when we bought the house.
It's basically a normal conservatory but with a timber frame underneath the plastic roof. Then plaster board was screwed to the frame and painted over.
It appears the seal between the brick work and conservatory gave up in the heavy rain and started to leak. The water then made its way into the plaster board and hey presto.
I've spent the day removing the entire false ceiling and timber frame. I then removed the entire conservatory roof and re - sealed the lot and jet washed all the roof panels while they were off.
Now its just a case of making it look 'pretty'.

Quick Reply: Well yesterday was interesting.