Sponsored by:

ets/overheating poss'

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2014, 11:16 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ets/overheating poss'

Hi everyone,well the nice weather is here & me car seems to be getting a bit hot,it started when i decided to replace engine temp sensor as car been using bit too much fuel so i get new sensor all put in i let car idle & seem great temp gauge goes straight to were it always has but the next day i take her out & ive gone half mile at very most & temp gauge is in red,so i turn round get back home & have a check about rad is still cold top hos is hot i look in overflow bottle & no bubbles all seems normal,as it wasnt a oem sensor i put it down to that call place i purchased from they were great send me another next day,so i put that one in get down road exactly the same,home again im thinking thermostat so change that still the same,im not losing any coolant heater works fine does get hot its not like blowing cold air at all,i havent had chance to put in old sensor yet but its got me thinking have i got HG problems,any views on this would be great .thanks
oh & my old sensor never got to half way & i now it worked as had hose go & gauge went up to red but while i was going along it came down a bit,as it is now while driving gauge just stays at red,

Last edited by bugblue1; 29 July 2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: ad more
Old 30 July 2014, 02:35 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Coolant temperature sender or sensor?.
Old 30 July 2014, 03:57 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If it ain't broke don't fix it? Or am I missing something here why would a new temp sensor make the car use less fuel? Can't you just put the old sensor back on and get a refund for the new one?
Old 30 July 2014, 04:06 PM
maca1983
Scooby Regular

try your old sensor back in and see what happens, if rad is cold but top hose is hot you might have an air lock in your coolant system from changing sensor if you haven't burped it and topped back up

Last edited by maca1983; 30 July 2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 30 July 2014, 04:57 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

As above,air lock but there is a difference between sender and sensor.
Old 30 July 2014, 11:11 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi everyone & thanks for replies,well i was advised that the engine temp sensor sends info to ecu for fueling & also controls gauge,as its a bugeye its the one sensor,i emptied coolant to check thermostat & it was fine so replaced & refilled using turbo hose but its still the same,so i think il put old sensor back in & see how it is,i was having knight mares thinking HG prob's as top hose seems to get rather hot while the rest of rad is cold,but on the positive side car uses no coolant no oil,maybe it me being over critical about it,well il get old sensor back in & let you all know how it goes.Thanks again everyone
Old 31 July 2014, 10:49 AM
maca1983
Scooby Regular

That's what I would do fella, then run your car with the header tank cap off and burp it using the top hose, top up accordingly when the level drops, keep doing this till you get rid of the loud gurgling sound and you should be somewhere near
Old 31 July 2014, 11:46 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

Good evening all,well i changed back to old sensor & hemp has gone back to were it has always been just above first line,didnt get no gurgling noises when trying to burp it,it still seem like the top hose is really hot but maybe thats just how it should be think im being paranoid... the thing that makes it worse is i had a problem were it was like i'd lost 50bhp then the next day it was ok & ive never been able to find out what the problem was,but any how il just see how it goes.thanks for all replies much appreciated
Old 09 August 2014, 11:20 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Non original parts not recommended.
Old 09 August 2014, 10:29 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johned
Non original parts not recommended.

yep that must be the problem as tried two of the same sensor & both the same,got refund though so off to get original part i reckon....