ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STI Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2014, 07:49 PM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Hatchback

Need some help, what's better and why ? the 2.0 JDM STI v 2.5 UK STI ?

Thanks in advance
Old 19 July 2014, 07:50 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

2.0 jdm sti by miles, if you can find one.
Old 19 July 2014, 07:58 PM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barnshaw
2.0 jdm sti by miles, if you can find one.
Why are they rare ? And why are they better than UK spec sorry for the dumb questions just would of thought 2.5 would be better
Old 19 July 2014, 08:01 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

yes they are rare, they have a better engine for starters, the 2.0 engine in the JDM STI is far stronger as standard then the 2.5, it will also have the additional goodies engine wise over the 2.5 such as higher rev limit, twinscroll turbo etc etc.
Old 19 July 2014, 08:02 PM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barnshaw
yes they are rare, they have a better engine for starters, the 2.0 engine in the JDM STI is far stronger as standard then the 2.5, it will also have the additional goodies engine wise over the 2.5 such as higher rev limit, twinscroll turbo etc etc.
Thanks plus JDM just sounds better
Old 19 July 2014, 11:43 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

yep, when you ring round for insurance lol
Old 19 July 2014, 11:47 PM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
yep, when you ring round for insurance lol
Ha ha best not to say JDM out loud
Old 20 July 2014, 07:54 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

depends who you ring really, but say JDM (ie: Jap import) and they'll not want to know.
Old 20 July 2014, 09:46 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

There is a JDM hatch STi on pistonheads for £17-18k, dont know much about the JDM hatch STi, but going on previous models like blob/hawk JDM twin scrolls, then you should be getting a stronger engine(some on here getting 450bhp on standard internals) plus the gearing has shorter ratio's, and the instant boost from the twin scroll turbo makes it a good point to point car.

Wonder what the road tax would be on a JDM hatch STi??? is it the same as the UK hatches £475-500 a year??

My mate has a JDM hawk STi which is £140 a year to tax, if you could get a hatch on the cheap road tax somehow, then the more expensive insurance would pay for itself
Old 20 July 2014, 10:10 AM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
There is a JDM hatch STi on pistonheads for £17-18k, dont know much about the JDM hatch STi, but going on previous models like blob/hawk JDM twin scrolls, then you should be getting a stronger engine(some on here getting 450bhp on standard internals) plus the gearing has shorter ratio's, and the instant boost from the twin scroll turbo makes it a good point to point car. Wonder what the road tax would be on a JDM hatch STi??? is it the same as the UK hatches £475-500 a year?? My mate has a JDM hawk STi which is £140 a year to tax, if you could get a hatch on the cheap road tax somehow, then the more expensive insurance would pay for itself
Have you got link please can't seem to find
Old 20 July 2014, 10:13 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Here you go mate!!!
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true

From Hurst cars so they have a good reputation, and the owner uses this website!!
Old 20 July 2014, 10:13 AM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

There is a JDM hatch STi on pistonheads for £17-18k, dont know much about the JDM hatch STi, but going on previous models like blob/hawk JDM twin scrolls, then you should be getting a stronger engine(some on here getting 450bhp on standard internals) plus the gearing has shorter ratio's, and the instant boost from the twin scroll turbo makes it a good point to point car.

Wonder what the road tax would be on a JDM hatch STi??? is it the same as the UK hatches £475-500 a year??

My mate has a JDM hawk STi which is £140 a year to tax, if you could get a hatch on the cheap road tax somehow, then the more expensive insurance would pay for itself
Yeah I saw that for sale by Hurst Cars, that is priced way to high considering it is a 2007 and has done just over 50k. I remember when they had a gorgeous white litchfield Type 20 hatch which sold for around 20k so 17-18k for a near standard 07 car is a bit high IMHO.

They are really hard to find and the only JDM hatches I have seen for sale previously have been the WRX S-GTs which are twinscroll but still have 5 speed, etc. They were going for 10-12k but was a while back.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 20 July 2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 20 July 2014, 10:37 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Have a mate looking for a JDM hawk STi in Japan at the moment, and he said that there are loads of Hatch STi's for sale over there and the hawk STi prices are higher then the hatches, which surprises me as there are not to many JDM hatch STi's here in the UK (only 3 jdm hatches ive seen for sale are 2 from Hurst cars(this one, and white spec c), and Juggers R205)

I think a JDM hatch STi would make a nice everday car, and the fact that there are not to many in the UK it should hold its value a bit better then the UK versions!!
Old 20 July 2014, 10:39 AM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Have a mate looking for a JDM hawk STi in Japan at the moment, and he said that there are loads of Hatch STi's for sale over there and the hawk STi prices are higher then the hatches, which surprises me as there are not to many JDM hatch STi's here in the UK (only 3 jdm hatches ive seen for sale are 2 from Hurst cars(this one, and white spec c), and Juggers R205) I think a JDM hatch STi would make a nice everday car, and the fact that there are not to many in the UK it should hold its value a bit better then the UK versions!!
I've imported a few cars probably cost of customs etc it can get very expensive and a headache having all SVA tests
Old 20 July 2014, 10:42 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shamkhan1
I've imported a few cars probably cost of customs etc it can get very expensive and a headache having all SVA tests
Thats the problem, By the time you have imported a nice low mileage JDM hatch STi you probably looking close to £20k, and then you got to map it for our petrol etc your looking at mk2 Focus RS/Audi RS4 money without the hassle!!
Old 20 July 2014, 10:43 AM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Thats the problem, By the time you have imported a nice low mileage JDM hatch STi you probably looking close to £20k, and then you got to map it for our petrol etc your looking at mk2 Focus RS/Audi RS4 money without the hassle!!
And the cars that do come are not always as described
Old 20 July 2014, 10:46 AM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Have a mate looking for a JDM hawk STi in Japan at the moment, and he said that there are load of hatch STi's for sale over there and the hawk STi prices are higher then the hatches, which surprises me as there are not to many JDM hatch STi's here in the UK (only 3 jdm hatches ive seen for sale are 2 from Hurst cars(this one, and white spec c), and Juggers R205)

I think a JDM hatch STi would make a nice everday car, and the fact that there are not to many in the UK it should hold its value a bit better then the UK versions!!
How much roughly would you need to set aside to import a hawkeye or a hatch as there is so much more variety in Japan at competitive prices. I know the OP has imported a few cars before so it will cost less for him then going through an import company who want a few k for their troubles!

As if I could fimd a nice hatch or hawk STi for around 3k under market value then I guess it would be worth it as the car may be of better spec and have no rust/corrosion issues.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old 20 July 2014, 10:50 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

And the cars that do come are not always as described
Thats what worrys me, Im waiting for my mate to import a JDM Hawk STi for himself and see how easy the whole process is before I think of doing it.
Like you say if the car is not as described and you have handed over a potentially £15k for a lemon with no comeback what can you do??
Its also everything else that comes with it like having it remapped for UK fuel and getting it so it can run on our roads, so not sure if I can put up with stress/hassle, when I can go out and buy one from a enthusiast.
Old 20 July 2014, 10:53 AM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Thats what worrys me, Im waiting for my mate to import a JDM Hawk STi for himself and see how easy the whole process is before I think of doing it. Like you say if the car is not as described and you have handed over a potentially £15k for a lemon with no comeback what can you do?? Its also everything else that comes with it like having it remapped for UK fuel and getting it so it can run on our roads, so not sure if I can put up with stress/hassle, when I can go out and buy one from a enthusiast.
I have boots on ground let me know if you need any advice or help
Old 20 July 2014, 10:55 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

not as described

if its grade 4.5 its very clean

hes obviously been importing grade R and expecting a minter
Old 20 July 2014, 10:58 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru Collector 555
How much roughly would you need to set aside to import a hawkeye or a hatch as there is so much more variety in Japan at competitive prices. I know the OP has imported a few cars before so it will cost less for him then going through an import company who want a few k for their troubles!

As if I could fimd a nice hatch or hawk STi for around 3k under market value then I guess it would be worth it as the car may be of better spec and have no rust/corrosion issues.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Havent done it myself, I've been told it could be around £3k to import the car across(shipping/insurance and customs tax etc), and then when you pick it up you have got to get it on the road, so SVA test and MOT/road tax, remap etc so what ever that costs, but im pretty sure I'll be corrected!!

So unless your importing a car for yourself and its a rare car that would be for your personal use, Im not sure if you would make a big profit if to sell it on. But for example ive seen low mileage(under 30k mile) white JDM hawk STi for sale in Japan for £13-14k, so probably looking £17k on the road in the UK.
Old 20 July 2014, 10:58 AM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
not as described if its grade 4.5 its very clean hes obviously been importing grade R and expecting a minter
I've seen grade 4.5 which get here and cost people more to sort than grade r would engine/clutch problems
Old 20 July 2014, 11:08 AM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Havent done it myself, I've been told it could be around £3k to import the car across(shipping/insurance and customs tax etc), and then when you pick it up you have got to get it on the road, so SVA test and MOT/road tax, remap etc so what ever that costs, but im pretty sure I'll be corrected!!

So unless your importing a car for yourself and its a rare car that would be for your personal use, Im not sure if you would make a big profit if to sell it on. But for example ive seen low mileage(under 30k mile) white JDM hawk STi for sale in Japan for £13-14k, so probably looking £17k on the road in the UK.
It would be for personal use but I remember Hurst Cars sold a white JDM hawk STI freshly imported from Japan, I cant remember the mileage but that was at 15k. I guess it depends how cheaply you can get it at auction as there was a white S202 that went through the auction and sold for only 7k.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old 20 July 2014, 01:44 PM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru Collector 555
It would be for personal use but I remember Hurst Cars sold a white JDM hawk STI freshly imported from Japan, I cant remember the mileage but that was at 15k. I guess it depends how cheaply you can get it at auction as there was a white S202 that went through the auction and sold for only 7k. Regards, Subaru Collector 555.
7k plus shipping & customs remapping close to 11k seen one on flea bay cheaper than that
Old 20 July 2014, 05:59 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My 09 JDM S-GT is £280 a year for road tax
Old 21 July 2014, 11:54 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

7k plus shipping & customs remapping close to 11k seen one on flea bay cheaper than that
Yes but that car was missing the all important OEM wheels and wasn't a minter by any stretch.
Old 22 July 2014, 10:52 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be selling the R205 and listing it this weekend, it is the longest I've have ever kept a car....3 bloody years. I change car every 6 months. Hope to hit the ring in a few weeks then I will be selling her and buying something sensible. Or I may come back from the ring and commission a 2.3l stroker build .............LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS.