ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Spec c type 25 at hurst cars.

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2014, 09:11 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spec c type 25 at hurst cars.

Just a quick one ,any info on these cars,anyone own one .
I know hurst cars have a good rep on here .
Old 13 July 2014, 09:45 PM
john1979
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at it whilst I was there recently buying a different car. Took a passenger ride in it to get road tax and it was superb. Tbh I was still wondering the next day if I'd bought the right car it was so good. Think max said it had a miltek exhaust and sounded beautiful on boost. I've been trying to talk friends into buying it.
Old 13 July 2014, 11:49 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

My god, go to Litchfields website via Google and have a read of the spec then go and buy. Hurst cars are one of the only dealers I would go to and its a type 25.
Old 14 July 2014, 12:10 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

If it's actually in stock then you'll have a good buy.

I was interested in one but it was sold.
Hurst did say that there was a problem updating the website but I wasn't particularly happy that a car I fancied was advertised for a month or two but wasn't available.

'Turbo Dynamics modified turbo' - how do you modify a turbo?
I'd have thought it had a replacement, uprated turbo?

It should have the (import) invoice from Litchfiled and a number (all T25's had an edition number).
Closeups of badges are there, but none of badges actually/definitely on the car. However, if you view it that will be obvious if they are.

No dyno pics.

Very tempting price.

Oh, and I'm being Devil's Advocate. The more cynical you are the better your chances of getting a good buy or even a bargain.
Old 14 July 2014, 12:32 AM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for you're input appreciated.
Old 14 July 2014, 05:29 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most type 25 were standard jdm cars and 03-04 non widetrack.
I seen only one spec c type 25 and its silver, never heard about spec c widetrack type 25 apart mark 2 hawk.
Old 14 July 2014, 09:01 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
'Turbo Dynamics modified turbo' - how do you modify a turbo?
I'd have thought it had a replacement, uprated turbo?
My Cosworth runs a modified GT30, work done by Owen Developments.

Modifying a turbo can be a very good way of getting more puff out of it.
Old 14 July 2014, 10:29 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

I sent my MD321T off to Turbo Dynamics and it came back with a billet compressor wheel
Old 14 July 2014, 10:53 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Badly worded question I suppose.
Unless there's an invoice for the work (and yes, probably a billet upgrade) the only way to tell is to take the thing apart I presume?

My point is how does the dealer know ?

Again, being Devil's Advocate I'd be looking to get the (any) dealer to justify any 'out-of-the-ordinary' statements they make about a car.
Old 14 July 2014, 08:02 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Derek sti you need to phone Iain Litchfield because as far as I'm aware (99%) I bought the only T25 spec c wr ltd new and this isn't it....stand to be corrected though

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-she-goes.html

Last edited by Mog; 14 July 2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 14 July 2014, 08:48 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Badly worded question I suppose.

Unless there's an invoice for the work (and yes, probably a billet upgrade) the only way to tell is to take the thing apart I presume?

My point is how does the dealer know ?

Again, being Devil's Advocate I'd be looking to get the (any) dealer to justify any 'out-of-the-ordinary' statements they make about a car.

I've spent many happy a day at Iains for the last 10-12 years and over the last 3 years, they have 5 to 20 calls a day from Dealers, Sellers or Buyers, trying to get him to confirm, if its a genuine T25 or that T20 is genuine and it's History over the Phone FFS?

This is on a 8 to 13 year old car!! how long should he keep info for cars that have never graced his "garage" since a year old. OK existing customers different story, he does have records.

To be fair only T25's had LTD edition numbers but they could be copied and made hard to check which is real and which is not. Private plates and to Privacy laws into the mix can of worms come to mind. As JDM's have model numbers and not the UK serial numbers.

if Iain was dupped over the Phone, there's only pain if goes wrong

The next biggest ask was can you send me a replacement T20 or T25 badge. Why would anyone want them ?? because adds £4-6K to the selling price perhaps.

By the way the T25 Turbo spec/Number was never generally released or it would have been just copied by Iains competitors, Garrett Twin scroll turbo GT3071R.

IMHO IIRC

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 14 July 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 14 July 2014, 09:01 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Also meant to say there was 1 other Spec C WR Ltd brought over new like mine at the same time but was kept standard.
Old 14 July 2014, 09:15 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Cheers mog for info ,it's a minefield and don't want to get stung.
Old 14 July 2014, 09:19 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by derek sti
Cheers mog for info ,it's a minefield and don't want to get stung.
Let us know how you get on as I'm intrigued
Old 14 July 2014, 09:20 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I did see a Toshi Arai spec C Hawk on flea bay, nice Cars but no knowlegde of this one

Tony
Old 14 July 2014, 09:23 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

You guy's clearly know more than me but Max I think it is, at Hurst cars seems to be a good guy and even if it is a copy of a t25 it's still the same thing, assuming all is correct.

I would want to see receipts for the work but if all is correct it's a close copy, it's not like a pair of Nike trainer's that are made from lesser materials. If it is a copy then the badges would be coming off straight away.
Old 14 July 2014, 09:24 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
Let us know how you get on as I'm intrigued
I will ,although can't do anything until middle of August I'm away at work.
Cheers again .
Old 14 July 2014, 11:45 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
You guy's clearly know more than me but Max I think it is, at Hurst cars seems to be a good guy and even if it is a copy of a t25 it's still the same thing, assuming all is correct.

I would want to see receipts for the work but if all is correct it's a close copy, it's not like a pair of Nike trainer's that are made from lesser materials. If it is a copy then the badges would be coming off straight away.
The thing is that if it's a copy it hasn't been set up by the very professionals that created the T25.

I could probably make a T25 copy if I wanted but would anyone seriously buy it off me?

Straight dealers and businesses enhancing Subarus to the point where they have the same suspension setup and engine mods etc. is fine - and arguably a cheaper route to the same performance - but those people would not falsely put a copyrighted badge on it.

I suggest that an original owner would have kept EVERYTHING - import docs, Litchfield invoice, Powerstation docs etc. etc., used them as proof of what they were selling and passed the whole lot on with the FSH etc., and so would the next owner when they sold it, and so on and on.

In answer to Tony's comments (I'm not sure why he quoted me) if I were in Iain Litchfield's position I wouldn't have given people the time of day for enquiries like that (exceptionally perhaps provided a copy invoice but only to original purchaser). If a seller can't verify that the car is beyond doubt a 'Litchfield special' then he either a) shouldn't have bought the car in the first place, believing that it was; or b) should have taken better care of the evidence to prove it.

How will anyone know that my car is genuine?
It's had a cosmetic change and a new registration mark.
But it also has some documents headed 'Litchfield Imports' - that's how (and I suspect this applies to the vast majority of LI's customers).

Finally - in case anyone, especially Max - gets the wrong impression, I am NOT suggesting that this particular car is not what it appears.
I'm pointing out how easy it should be to verify that a car - any car - is exactly what it is advertised to be.
Old 15 July 2014, 12:11 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

What I was trying to say was, If for example I went to enginetuner and gave them a spec c then asked them to make it in to a T 25 and to use the same parts then you would be driving away in what would basically be a T25. I would however not buy ANY car that someone has done a DIY build on.

Car companies use different factories all over the world to manufacture there vehicles but they still end up with the same badge in most cases.
Old 15 July 2014, 08:40 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Yep, totally agree.

You can certainly make a model up to 'T Spec', and you'd be a bit silly not to get one of the renowned businesses to do it.

However, just like I'd be naughty if I did up a Focus Zetec and put an ST badge on it wouldn't the same apply if anyone other than Litchfield put a T-badge on a scooby?

And also, suppose I had a ('proper') 2.5 dropped into mine - can I put a T25 badge on it?
Old 15 July 2014, 10:08 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

The op isn't going to consider the car for another month or so, but yes, it would be another example of rip off Britain if you put T25 badges on a car not from Litchfields them selves.
Old 15 July 2014, 12:10 PM
adam405sti
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify. This is not a copy of a T25, it is the real deal. Original plate on first registration was a "VX" plate which were all Litchfield cars. Registration can be provided for any "serious" party. Thanks

Max, Hurst Cars
Old 15 July 2014, 01:22 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam405sti
Just to clarify. This is not a copy of a T25, it is the real deal. Original plate on first registration was a "VX" plate which were all Litchfield cars. Registration can be provided for any "serious" party. Thanks

Max, Hurst Cars
Hi Max.

Again, I'm at pains to stress there's no intention to cast doubt on this particular car's authenticity.

Going back to my comments and philosophy regarding asking 'searching' questions however, you say "a "VX" plate which were all Litchfield cars".

All cars imported and registered by Litchfield probably - indeed almost certainly - would be 'VX'.

But so would 'Worcester Ford', 'Malvern Volvo', 'Tewkesbury Citroen' ones as well, since VX is the reg prefix for the Worcester area.
And of course any Subaru lover living in that neck of the woods who privately imported one.

Anyway, I'm becoming guilty of diverting this thread.

A buyer should also have the confidence that a) your business has some decent write-ups on here; and b) if it ever was found not to be a 'Litchfield T25' Consumer Protection would do exactly that.

Final point to the op (and others perhaps), something to consider - if you buy this car how would you verify what it is when you come to sell?
The answer, I suggest, is whatever you need in this and any similar instance, regardless of car and dealer.
Old 20 July 2014, 07:10 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by adam405sti

Max, Hurst Cars
Not all, I had my T25 plate on mine from new.
Old 21 July 2014, 12:01 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XRS
Not all, I had my T25 plate on mine from new.
Good point.

I reg'd T20 ..... in 2013.
Any T20/25 plate could be applied to a 2003-on car.

And any 'VX' plate could be applied er... any car reg'd within the Worcester area.

Straightforward question really - if the dealer bought it with the confidence that it is a T25 then that same evidence and conviction should be provided to a buyer ie. if the dealer is confident that 'it has a T25 badge and a 'VX' reg' was enough for them to buy the car then surely it's a case of a buyer being likewise convinced??????????????
Old 21 July 2014, 12:49 AM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

I have done a bit of digging on this car and it seems the real deal as max Said ,also looking at a white makinnen at sva imports In Dover ,I will keep you updated as to what car I finally go for .
Old 21 July 2014, 01:02 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by derek sti
I have done a bit of digging on this car and it seems the real deal as max Said ,also looking at a white makinnen at sva imports In Dover ,I will keep you updated as to what car I finally go for .
Fine !

No-one's saying it's not.

Simply saying that when it comes to selling it on, whoever buys it will probably need to verify it for their buyer, so whoever buys it make sure that you have the necessary 'proof'.

I personally wouldn't buy a car labelled as a Type 25 just because it had a 'VX' reg, and I'm sure no-one would buy one off me just for that reason.

Whatever convinces YOU should be enough to convince someone else.
Old 21 July 2014, 01:07 AM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

Seen this car today at hurst cars the bodywork looked fantastic seemed a well looked after car and Deffo seemed to be the real deal to me
Old 21 July 2014, 01:15 AM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigybaby
Seen this car today at hurst cars the bodywork looked fantastic seemed a well looked after car and Deffo seemed to be the real deal to me
That's good mate cheers definately food for thought .
Old 21 July 2014, 02:01 PM
adam405sti
Scooby Regular

Understand no one was pointing to the fact that it definitely is a copy and only a mere mention of it "could possibly" be a copy. We made contact with Ian Litchfield and he spoke to one of our guys about the car and confirmed it is a genuine T25.

Quick Reply: Spec c type 25 at hurst cars.