Sponsored by:

Looking for some advice ref a faulty DCCD JDM STI gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2014, 08:33 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advice ref a faulty DCCD JDM STI gearbox

looking for some genuine advise from you guys in the know, I have a 2003 jdm sti, recently developed a fault on the centre DCCD, trying to find the centre DCCD on its own is near impossible, understandably no one wants to split from the box.

I would like to retain the JDM box and not want to change to another and mess around with changing shafts and difs etc, what is my best option?

Subaru UK are quoting something ridiculous for the centre dccd on its own, £2900 ex VAT and not in stock in the UK, therefore is is worthwhile just purchasing a second hand gearbox?

concerned about buying a secondhand box and not knowing its history etc, Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, is the DCCD in a UK 6 speed the same as a JDM 6 speed DCCD?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by barnshaw; 03 July 2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03 July 2014, 09:13 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barnshaw
looking for some genuine advise from you guys in the know, I have a 2003 jdm sti, recently developed a fault on the centre DCCD, trying to find the centre DCCD on its own is near impossible, understandably no one wants to split from the box.

I would like to retain the JDM box and not want to change to another and mess around with changing shafts and difs etc, what is my best option?

Subaru UK are quoting something ridiculous for the centre dccd on its own, £2900 ex VAT and not in stock in the UK, therefore is is worthwhile just purchasing a second hand gearbox?

concerned about buying a secondhand box and not knowing its history etc, Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, is the DCCD in a UK 6 speed the same as a JDM 6 speed DCCD?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Ring APi off of here mate, I read somewhere they have rebuilt dccd units if I am not mistaken, they will be able to give you a better idea
Old 03 July 2014, 09:18 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

I did contact API to see if they supplied and unfortunately they dont, David was extremely helpful and provided a wealth of information which helped me, great guy.
Old 03 July 2014, 10:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it an ECU fault or mechanical fault?

and not in stock in the UK
Why does that not shock me

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 03 July 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03 July 2014, 10:19 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

mechanical Tony.
Old 03 July 2014, 10:20 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

mechanical Tony.
After re-reading this thread I see why you're looking at a 2nd hand box https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-synchros.html

Last edited by banny sti; 03 July 2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03 July 2014, 10:28 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

Hi Banny,

I am not an expert on it but assuming to be rebuilt would need the individual parts of the DCCD? or maybe Subaru will only supply the DCCD as a whole unit in which case unsure how or where individual parts would be sourced to rebuild it.

Proving a bit of a nightmare!
Old 03 July 2014, 10:33 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

yep seems like the price they quoted is accurate then reading that thread! ouch!

dilmena is risking paying 2k for a second hand box in unknown condition and getting double stung, or just forking out 3k+ from Subaru but knowing its a new part :\

Is the DCCD in a UK box the same as a JDM one? if so would buying a UK DCCD box and removing DCCD from that and putting into current one an option?
Old 03 July 2014, 10:46 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

yep seems like the price they quoted is accurate then reading that thread! ouch!

dilmena is risking paying 2k for a second hand box in unknown condition and getting double stung, or just forking out 3k+ from Subaru but knowing its a new part :\

Is the DCCD in a UK box the same as a JDM one? if so would buying a UK DCCD box and removing DCCD from that and putting into current one an option?
They are the same afaik, also some more additional info there are two types upto 05 (orange ring) and post 05 (green ring)

Old 03 July 2014, 11:14 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

1/3 the value of your car WTF

someone must be able to fix for less money surely?
Old 03 July 2014, 01:48 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Whats wrong with it? They have a set of lsd plates in them, I can supply a full kit of plates, Ive sold a few sets but will have to check on the prices (no more than £500). There isn't much to go wrong mechanically other than the plates wearing out, whats the symptoms?
The 6 speed are all the same plate design until they changed to Hawkeye.
Old 03 July 2014, 02:24 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply,

Sypmtoms are that when trying to maintain a speed (on the motorway for example) the car jerks and jolts and clunks, if moving up and down the rev range its OK, but when reapplying throttle the only way i can describe it is that it feels like something is not engaging properly, strangely enough its more prominent when its warmed up.

If coasting upto a roundabout I can feel it vibrating and vibrating up through the transmission via the gear level, if that makes sense, it feels like a rotational vibration as strange as that sounds!

gearbox feels absolutely fine, goes through them all perfectly, no crunching, its in the garage now and they confirm its the centre DCCD, its only when its under load on the road.

Last edited by barnshaw; 03 July 2014 at 02:27 PM.