ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Cat Options

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2021, 07:21 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Cat Options

So I took the car to a so called friendly tester who wasn't so friendly at all. Main point is emissions and I'm struggling to find a friendly tester local to me (Blackpool) so I'm exploring other options.

I have a full cobra system which has a separate section after the downpipe, I'd rather not have to pull the downpipe in and out etc when the mid section can be removed so easily. So I was thinking of getting a mid section welded up with a cat in for easy swaps, being so far back would this even work? I know heat is a factor so I'm unsure, plus being temporary it could be a normal cat (whatever cell they are) over a sports cat I guess? Or maybe even an ebay/eurocarparts special being temporary, being after the turbo I shouldn't have to worry about changing maps etc either.

Thoughts?

Failing that it's a sports cat downpipe that matches my system, anything other than cobra that would fit as that's 500ish and certainly ain't happening till late Jan/early Feb.

Another issue was apparently my offside headlight is low, but this looks right to me or is this really way out? Where can I get such a thing tested/rectified?

Picture taken from middle of scoop and cars about 2-3ft from the garage door
​​​​​

Last edited by MrRtm; 07 December 2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07 December 2021, 08:27 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd get a sports cat welded in.
Old 07 December 2021, 09:31 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I've had a couple of these ones https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234299865906

Now regret getting rid of them, tbh, because they're the only sports cats I haven't struggled with MOT-wise
Old 07 December 2021, 10:42 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik

Now regret getting rid of them, tbh, because they're the only sports cats I haven't struggled with MOT-wise
Would mean replacing the entire cat back as my downpipe is twice if not three times as long as that.
Originally Posted by jaygsi
I'd get a sports cat welded in.
We talking in the mid section like I mentioned or elsewhere? Any old sports cat or a specific one?
Old 07 December 2021, 11:59 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

You want it on the downpipe really as close to the engine as possible. I have a 100 cell cat that struggles to get through, needs to be driven hard before testing. Looking to swap for 200 cell but that will be less free flowing.

Why not just buy a Cobra sports cat. Will be a lot less hassle.
Old 08 December 2021, 12:01 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

It's basically a 200 cell cat. And made by scorpion for Prodrive. So scorpion down pipe will be just as good.

Old 08 December 2021, 08:20 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

You want it on the downpipe really as close to the engine as possible. I have a 100 cell cat that struggles to get through, needs to be driven hard before testing. Looking to swap for 200 cell but that will be less free flowing.

Why not just buy a Cobra sports cat. Will be a lot less hassle.
Cost and being done with crawling under my car for a while. I will if I have to but exploring other options beforehand because I'd rather not have to wait till Feb to use the car. I've just spent a good 3k I wasn't expecting hence not being able to get a cobra sports cat till then.

​​​​​
Old 08 December 2021, 10:25 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

It's basically a 200 cell cat. And made by scorpion for Prodrive. So scorpion down pipe will be just as good.
Hmm, maybe it's just a 200 cell cat, but it looks like a bigger cross-sectional area than the cheapo ones (though I haven't measured). Not sure if this would just affect ultimate flow through the thing, or emissions as well, though.

@MrRtm I think the issue with having a sports cat in the middle section is the distance to the 'hot end', so to speak. If the cat is marginal anyway (as in, sports cat...), then it might need all the help it can get by being red hot, which is more and more difficult the further down the exhaust it is.
Old 08 December 2021, 11:25 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

@MrRtm I think the issue with having a sports cat in the middle section is the distance to the 'hot end', so to speak. If the cat is marginal anyway (as in, sports cat...), then it might need all the help it can get by being red hot, which is more and more difficult the further down the exhaust it is.
Yeah I was thinking that, anti lag might help with heat but also might spit the cat out the back lol. Looks like a cobra sports cat is going to be in my future with the lack of friendly testers around me, or at least known to me. My old one moved and can't do it anymore, dam him needing better working conditions haha.