Sponsored by:

Help with Rear seat removal - Sorry!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2001, 10:31 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Benn a complete plank and have decided last minute that i am going to fit in the new rear speakers that I have had lying around for a month. I have had a (very )quick look and I will be damned if I can see any obvious way to get to whatever holds the rear seat in place.
Had a traul through the ICE section without luck and haveheard a thing or two, but nothing conclusive. 94WRX saloon.

Any help very much appreciated, as I only have tomorrow to do it and the other half beefs if she can't drive her!

Thanks guys,

Nick
Old 05 May 2001, 12:28 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

If it's similar to the '99 year, undo 2 bolts on the seat base at floor level (12mm socket). Unclip base at rear centre of seat ( put your hand behind and under the seat).
Once removed, undo 3 bolts, one in the centre and 2 either side, all at the base of the rear seat back. Lift seat back up to unclip the seat and remove taking care not to scratch the cars metalwork when removing.
Old 05 May 2001, 10:45 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Fitting rear speakers is an absolute bas****!
Once you have the seats out you need to remove a **** load of the side and upper panels to get the rear shelf out.

I would get a shop to do it, less hastle.

MB
Old 05 May 2001, 10:54 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

It will give me something to do today.....

Thanks guys,

Nick
Old 05 May 2001, 12:20 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Undo the bolts at the bottom of the flat part and lift it out.

Then there are some more bolts to undo and the vertical part comes out by lifting upwards IIRC.
Old 05 May 2001, 01:03 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Got to agree with MB.

Nightmare of a job. Seat removal is the easy bit. Getting the parcel shelf out is very difficult. And if you're fitting 6 x 9s like I did good luck - you'll need it!

Never again!

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 05 May 2001, 02:03 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Angry

OMG!

Seats were easy, the parcel shelf is a joke to get out. After all of that I was wrong about the size of the speakers! The dimensions stated on the kenwoods seemed correct, but they are actually about 5 mm too wide around the main chassis. Currently considering jigsawing the adaptor plates to try to amend this. Like you guys said, I wish I hadn't bothered now......

Nick

......Sod the jigsawing..... I'm going off to halfords coplete with the adaptor plate to see what I can get to actually fit in them
Old 05 May 2001, 08:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're going to hate me for saying this, but I wouldn't bother buying new rear speakers - most of the people posting in the ICE section agree. I have 6.5" Kenwoods in the back and I just run them off the head unit, with the fronts amplified and a sub in the boot. They were a pain to install and I wish I'd just left the factory ones in - they really make no difference at all. Possible exception might be if you were not going to use a sub, a nice pair of 6x9's would give you extra bass, but to be honest, a quality pair of 6.5" components in the front with a decent amount of power sounds better because the sound is all in front of you.

See Chiark's ICE faq for more including suitable speaker models, fitting instructions, pictures...
Old 05 May 2001, 10:50 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Yup, got slightly smaller kenwoods that fit straight in, (still about as fun as knee-capping myself)but the covers do not fit over the parcel shelf..... Have to use the covers from the bigger fella's so have to keep them too. I knew of Chiark's and tony's adventures in ICE (thanks anyway )and was aware of the opinions of the collective regarding the rear speakers, It's just that I always strip out old cr@p if it is in there. Had the old paper-coned dried oiut Addzest speakers in there, so it really had to be done. Still have the fronts to go.......

Going to trawl through the ICE section to refresh my memory on whether I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the bigger guys in there

Cheers folks,

Nick