Sponsored by:

Brake help

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2014, 10:27 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake help

hello all not been on for a while I've just started to collect parts for the scoob again but I'm not sure what to do with the brakes my intended use is for fast road with idea of starting track days when I have a few driver courses under my belt so my predicament is whether to buy

Second-hand brembos to then refurb with the addition of pf discs and pads

a big brakes conversion seriously considering the ap racing set or

would this be to much overkill and to be better sticking with something like the ksport collection

any opinions welcomed from your experiences

the car is a bugeye wagon with ppp at the moment but I would like to future proof as the engine is next on the list

and one other thing with regards to the front bumper will all bugeye model bumpers fit the wagon as standard or is modification needed I hate the front end at the minute

cheers scoobyjunky
Old 25 May 2014, 11:49 PM
Samster
Scooby Newbie

I'm on my second set of Godspeed big brake discs/pads for my blob eye PPP. I'm no expert but I fried the pads after oulton park and Anglesey track days. The stopping power is fantastic - I wouldn't want for more. A guy on scoobynet said the biggest issue I'd have with a big brake kit was cooling the brakes....turned out he was spot on. Could have been my driving style on track - I was hitting them hard. Best thing really is the confidence they give on B roads/fast road use and the ridiculous thing is they're cheaper (I think) than oem stuff which is woefully inadequate. Godspeed got mixed reviews on the forum but I've had a very positive experience (twice).
Old 26 May 2014, 09:58 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your budget.

You'll find on here that the 2 people/companies to talk to are

Ian @ Godspeed Brakes http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/

Alyn @ AS Performance http://asperformance.com/

Doh swiftly edited

Although together they could form a super conglomerate

Last edited by myblackwrx; 26 May 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 26 May 2014, 10:03 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

When did Alyn start working for Ian here is the right link for ASPERFORMANCE:http://asperformance.com.SJ.
Old 26 May 2014, 10:39 AM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

I've not really got a budget when it's comes to brakes yeah I ve spoke to Ian before but not Alyn just wanted peoples views of braking systems they have used cheers anyway
Old 26 May 2014, 10:49 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx

Doh swiftly edited

Although together they could form a super conglomerate
.SJ.
Old 26 May 2014, 10:58 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyjunky
I've not really got a budget when it's comes to brakes yeah I ve spoke to Ian before but not Alyn just wanted peoples views of braking systems they have used cheers anyway
I have driven with the majority of brakes out there on my own Subaru and friends scoobys,and my best set up I have used without going down the AP,Alcon,Porsche brakes route,is performance friction two piece disc and pads in conjunction with the gold brembo calipers they are just perfect,they can be used on the road and still last track days without any problems there the best setup you can get without spending really big money for a whole racing Caliper change etc...SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 26 May 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 26 May 2014, 11:41 AM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks a lot will take that in board
Old 26 May 2014, 11:42 AM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Also is that a front and rear setup ?
Old 26 May 2014, 12:36 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Also is that a front and rear setup ?
Front set up,but front and rear Brembo calipers can be bought quite reasonable these days.It all comes down to your budget and "USE" which is the paramount reason for upgrading brakes,there is so much ways to get efficient stopping power,but the PF set up that I have recommended WORKS.SJ.
Old 26 May 2014, 12:39 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Also I would highly recommend a chat with Alyn of ASPERFORMANCE who is an authorised PF dealer and can advise you a set up for your driving style/needs,etc...http://asperformance.com.SJ.
Old 26 May 2014, 05:12 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks a lot I'll give him a call
Old 26 May 2014, 06:38 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suggest you speak to godspeed about his AP 4 pot set up, I have it on my blob wagon ppp and it's great with the ds 2500 pads.

Reason being, second hand brembo's plus refirb plus new discs bells and pads is going to be nigh on the cost of a set new AP 4 pots which also fit under wrx standard wheels and as such many others which the brembos don't so negates the cost of changing wheels and tyres.
Old 26 May 2014, 10:29 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers I have 18s on at the minute so shouldn't be too much of a problem I'll give them both a call and see what's on offer thanks
Old 27 May 2014, 12:45 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am also on the look out for an upgrade to my 4 pot discs and pads. I replaced the knackered ebc items with oem (cheap) discs and pads and the discs appeared to have warped already!

What are peoples thoughts on the godspeed grooved discs and Kevlar pads? heard a few stories about pad material sticking to the discs?

Any advice appreciated.

Old 27 May 2014, 01:14 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

There is nothing wrong with the Godspeed set up at all,they work well,you will always get someone talking rubbish about things that they have not even used just jumping on the bandwagon.My wife had them on her classic Impreza and when she sold them on the buyer was well happy with the way that they performed,so they are definitely worth a punt.SJ.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:22 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I suggest you speak to godspeed about his AP 4 pot set up, I have it on my blob wagon ppp and it's great with the ds 2500 pads.

Reason being, second hand brembo's plus refirb plus new discs bells and pads is going to be nigh on the cost of a set new AP 4 pots which also fit under wrx standard wheels and as such many others which the brembos don't so negates the cost of changing wheels and tyres.
I agree to an extent mateIf the OP can source a decent set of Brembos for good money that don't need servicing,in conjunction with the PF setup he will have brakes that will out perform most cars,but really it still comes down to budget if he has the readies for the AP setup that you mention that would definitely be my first choice,but if money is a issue as with most people the Brembo/PF setup is a viable choice.SJ.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:25 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

I have had a few people mention to me that cheapy charlie Pagids from Euro car parts work almost as good as more expensive fast road/track type pads.

£50 for pads all round, anybody had experience of these pads?
Old 27 May 2014, 01:30 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers I have 18s on at the minute so shouldn't be too much of a problem I'll give them both a call and see what's on offer thanks
Not all 18's clear brembos and AP's as it's not about the circumference of the wheel, it's about the depth / thickness of the spokes passing face of the calliper as you look at the wheel if you get my drift, another way to put it is it's not the length of the calliper but the thickness that's the problem.

If the wheels are from a newage sti then your fine.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:37 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am also on the look out for an upgrade to my 4 pot discs and pads. I replaced the knackered ebc items with oem (cheap) discs and pads and the discs appeared to have warped already!

What are peoples thoughts on the godspeed grooved discs and Kevlar pads? heard a few stories about pad material sticking to the discs?

Any advice appreciated.

You can choose whatever pads you want my personal favourites are the ferrodo ds 2500, a tad dusty but good bite from cold and i've never managed to cook them, as well as they hold together down to the last mm, i've had pads that start to disintegrate when half worn.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:41 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just me
I have had a few people mention to me that cheapy charlie Pagids from Euro car parts work almost as good as more expensive fast road/track type pads.

£50 for pads all round, anybody had experience of these pads?
Depends how hard you are on the brakes, tootling about the place i'm sure they're fine, a few 100mph down to 20mph stamps and I doubt it very much, otherwise we'd all be using them.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:43 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

found this thread in regards to Pagids https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...dard-pads.html

Does anybody know how much Brembo high carbon discs are?

Sorry if I'm hijacking
Old 27 May 2014, 01:46 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Depends how hard you are on the brakes, tootling about the place i'm sure they're fine, a few 100mph down to 20mph stamps and I doubt it very much, otherwise we'd all be using them.
Yes it does seem too good to be true as always!

On the thread I posted there's a member that used them at 440bhp, and another that used them for sprinting, I might try them to satisfy my curiousity, will probably put them in the bin after a week though
Old 27 May 2014, 01:57 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

I use standard pads on my four pots, i find them very good
Old 27 May 2014, 02:30 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just me
Yes it does seem too good to be true as always!

On the thread I posted there's a member that used them at 440bhp, and another that used them for sprinting, I might try them to satisfy my curiousity, will probably put them in the bin after a week though
Good thread, if kas, Alyn and godspeed said they're good along with all the others then i'm inclined to believe them so yeah worth a punt, sounds like I was wrong and we should all be using them.
Old 27 May 2014, 10:32 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks with regards to the brembos does anyone the calculation to see if they will fit under my wheel have a set of team dynamics monzas on at the moment I would like to measure now to see what's possible behind them ?
Old 27 May 2014, 10:36 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Good thread, if kas, Alyn and godspeed said they're good along with all the others then i'm inclined to believe them so yeah worth a punt, sounds like I was wrong and we should all be using them.
I'll give them a try, car is due new brakes anyway, I was thinking of trying the Carbon Lorraine RC5+ aswell, will do a comparison of the two
Old 28 May 2014, 06:37 PM
Mr Blobby
Scooby Regular

Don't talk to Alyn, you will end up paying a fortune lol!

I rang him up, told him what I was going to be using my car for and my budget and he then sold me exactly what I wanted... couldn't be easier...

PFC 2 piece disks up front, PFC pads all rounds, braided hoses etc

And they are awesome
Old 28 May 2014, 07:10 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

And how much was that tidy haul?
Old 28 May 2014, 08:06 PM
Mr Blobby
Scooby Regular

A little over £1k which was my budget and well worth the money. I was looking at some second hand pairs of 6 pot AP racing callipers and stuff but this is meant to be the best you can buy for the brembo's and be able to handle the track also.

Quick Reply: Brake help