Sponsored by:

Widetrack 2005 STI for sale...

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2014, 07:08 PM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Widetrack 2005 STI for sale...

Im after one myself but theres a few factors that turn me off on this one, so thought someone else may appreciate the link...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271467674320

Last edited by oHUTCHYo; 26 April 2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 26 April 2014, 07:18 PM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

Bit of extra info;

Cambelt was done 3years ago 15,000 miles ago by a subaru dealer. Plenty of tread left on the tyres. There is the odd mark on the car but it is 9 years old after all interior is like when it came out the factory
Old 26 April 2014, 07:39 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

...... So what turns you off about it?
Old 26 April 2014, 07:49 PM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

Not particularly relevant given its highly subjective but;

(*) distance
(*) non original wing mirrors
(*) dont like Zunsport grille
(*) too much BHP
(*) bodywork
(*) part service history

Pick that apart if you wish but as I said, very subjective to each individual - and I'm a very fussy SOAB.
Old 26 April 2014, 09:00 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

(*) distance
You got to be prepared to travel for the right car, as you say if your a fussy bugger!!!
(*) non original wing mirrors
I got a set of mirrors here for the same colour car you can have for £40 delivered!!
(*) dont like Zunsport grille
Easy to remove, and look even better painted/powdercoated gloss black
(*) too much BHP
You can never have to much power, 400bhp is just about right in a newage!!
(*) bodywork
Ok, agree with you on this one, as you do want a mint car, even if its 9 years old, you want one thats been looked after!!
(*) part service history
Is this because he has done it himself or not done at all??? if he knows what he is doing and done oil/filter change, as long as it has receipts, and its been done!!

You are a fussy bugger!!! But when its right, its right!! reminds me of a guy who bought a Audi TT from me, and he said that he had been looking for 2 years and viewed 30 cars before buying mine. When he arrived at my house, he put his overalls on and was outside with my car for 2 hours checking it over, while I sat in the house with a cup of tea!!
Old 26 April 2014, 09:06 PM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

Im terribly fussy, I do my own head in

Distance doesnt usually bother me as I travel a lot with work but the train journey would be awful.

To be honest I just "know" when its the right car and importantly the right seller. This one didnt give me that feeling. I'm waiting for the right one

Didnt mean to agitate folk, just trying to help folk out who are also looking (whilst conveniently minimising my competition )

Last edited by oHUTCHYo; 26 April 2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 26 April 2014, 09:14 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of my cars have been miles away last 2 cars come from bedford 600+ mile round trip, worth it for the right car mate
400bhp is nothing for a new age im 450 and still feels sluggish compared to my old ra that was 340
Old 26 April 2014, 09:20 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Mate, I hope you find a mint one!!

But there old cars now, trying to find a really mint one will cost you more then the average widetrack is going to cost you.
If you can get one with good mileage, service history, and good bodywork/mechanicals , then take a chance, kerbed wheels can be fixed, bad modifications can be sold on and make money back!!
Old 26 April 2014, 09:49 PM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

Yeah its a valid point, after all these cars are now 9+ years old. Theres still good ones about though for those willing to wait. I regret selling mine which I waited 6 months for, I also resent the git who sold the recent one after I gave him a deposit. Both of those were mint.

Waiting game, as much as it sucks to do so.
Old 26 April 2014, 09:59 PM
jay-sti
Scooby Regular

I remember searching for my widetrack , walked away from some cars for very silly reasons , sometimes just a few car park dinks or a bumper scuff , bolster wear etc , in the end you get to realise that these cars are getting on now and generally nearly all have some issues , most of these little things are cheap enough to put right when you consider the day to day running cost of these cars, dinks and scuffs are easily sorted , bit of paintwork nothing major , even a pair of seats can be had for couple of hundred quid , I found a very good one in the end but it took months , it's not mint (my idea of mint is brand new) but it's very good , don't get hung up on little things , I could of been having a hoot and enjoying Subaru ownership much early if I hadn't got caught up in chasing perfection
Old 26 April 2014, 10:05 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jay-sti
I remember searching for my widetrack , walked away from some cars for very silly reasons , sometimes just a few car park dinks or a bumper scuff , bolster wear etc , in the end you get to realise that these cars are getting on now and generally nearly all have some issues , most of these little things are cheap enough to put right when you consider the day to day running cost of these cars, dinks and scuffs are easily sorted , bit of paintwork nothing major , even a pair of seats can be had for couple of hundred quid , I found a very good one in the end but it took months , it's not mint (my idea of mint is brand new) but it's very good , don't get hung up on little things , I could of been having a hoot and enjoying Subaru ownership much early if I hadn't got caught up in chasing perfection
Listen to this man.
Old 26 April 2014, 10:09 PM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

Funny story; made a long journey up to top end of Scotland for a Golf R32, I mean this thing was mint and it could have been fresh off the production line. The seller was a pro detailer and had must have spent days getting it right to impress buyers. Fell in love and bought it. Lovely sunny day and a great drive home with some stunning scenery. Anywhoo, started to come back in the North East and sure as hell it started to darken and the heavens opened. Front windscreen wipers on, super. Turned on rear, could hear it swiping but couldnt see it. Weird.

Stopped at a service station to check as it was bugging me . The fool had only put the rear wiper arm on wrong way round when having it off to detail, which meant every wipe was rubbing the metal arm downwards across the tailgate. It scuffed right through the paint. Tears ensued.

I also crashed my last widetrack in to my garages brick pillar after only owning it <30mins.

Perhaps I cant be trusted with a minter

Last edited by oHUTCHYo; 26 April 2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 26 April 2014, 10:11 PM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poolio74
Listen to this man.
Oh I am, I am
Old 26 April 2014, 10:18 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What car are you after, I assume a widetrack STI?

I honestly think I've owned some minters in my time, but like you I end up inadvertently making unmint!
Old 26 April 2014, 10:23 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Good luck! Was online 12 mins I rang and someone already on the way to view and I'm only an hour away!

I believe it's been sold or is in the process of, and if it don't sell to the guy today I'm going tomorrow to collect it believe he is with the prospective buyer now.
Old 26 April 2014, 10:26 PM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
What car are you after, I assume a widetrack STI?

I honestly think I've owned some minters in my time, but like you I end up inadvertently making unmint!
Yeah widetrack. I cringe when I think back on some of the silly things Ive done. Used to own a 1998 Celica GT years ago and adored it. One sunny day I jacked her up with the emergency jack from the boot, removed wheels and painted the calipers red. Wheels back on, lowered. Patted my self on the back.

The jack had its own little space in the boot and had to be expanded a little to make it fit snug, a few turns later it still didnt feel snug. Turned more...more...then "crunk". I had inadvertently expanded it too much and my rear wing had what I could only describe as an outward dent. A horrible, horrible zit on an otherwise lovely body Was young , naive and stupid. Now Im just older and "stupider"

Last edited by oHUTCHYo; 26 April 2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 26 April 2014, 11:38 PM
ELUSIVEJIM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oHUTCHYo
Funny story; made a long journey up to top end of Scotland for a Golf R32, I mean this thing was mint and it could have been fresh off the production line. The seller was a pro detailer and had must have spent days getting it right to impress buyers. Fell in love and bought it. Lovely sunny day and a great drive home with some stunning scenery. Anywhoo, started to come back in the North East and sure as hell it started to darken and the heavens opened. Front windscreen wipers on, super. Turned on rear, could hear it swiping but couldnt see it. Weird.

Stopped at a service station to check as it was bugging me . The fool had only put the rear wiper arm on wrong way round when having it off to detail, which meant every wipe was rubbing the metal arm downwards across the tailgate. It scuffed right through the paint. Tears ensued.

I also crashed my last widetrack in to my garages brick pillar after only owning it <30mins.

Perhaps I cant be trusted with a minter

Oh mate

I had to laugh but what a nightmare.

What did you think or the R32?

Did you keep it long?

Another point regarding travelling to see a car is you could send someone to pick it up for you.

I had a friend who was a mechanic and would always be looking for extra cash on the side.

He would take down his recovery vehicle and pick the car up for me for a £100 or more depending on the distance.

Ok this is great when a car is new but if its second hand you really want to view it yourself but as my friend was a mechanic he would make sure it was as good as the seller said before handing the money over.

Worked for the two of us
Old 26 April 2014, 11:52 PM
ELUSIVEJIM
Scooby Regular

Yeah widetrack. I cringe when I think back on some of the silly things Ive done. Used to own a 1998 Celica GT years ago and adored it. One sunny day I jacked her up with the emergency jack from the boot, removed wheels and painted the calipers red. Wheels back on, lowered. Patted my self on the back.

The jack had its own little space in the boot and had to be expanded a little to make it fit snug, a few turns later it still didnt feel snug. Turned more...more...then "crunk". I had inadvertently expanded it too much and my rear wing had what I could only describe as an outward dent. A horrible, horrible zit on an otherwise lovely body Was young , naive and stupid. Now Im just older and "stupider"

You should right a book mate.

Classic stories.

Not such a funny experience was when I got four new tyres fitted by a local ford dealer for my Mk1 RS.

After picking up the car I was driving home in the normal horrendous rain in which "F1 drivers would not cope with" but the car was aquaplaning when hitting any water whatsoever.

So out of the car I got and had a look around and after deciding to check the new tyres which had just been fitted the stupid **** of a tyre fitter had fitted the directional tyres the wrong way around.

Anyway back to the garage I went and received only a excuse as bad as the tyre fitters work.

So lesson for me that day is make sure the tyres are on the right way around.

Thank God for the Scottish weather
Old 26 April 2014, 11:54 PM
ELUSIVEJIM
Scooby Regular

Great advice

Just need to listen to it myself
Old 27 April 2014, 01:03 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

it's not mint (my idea of mint is brand new) but it's very good , don't get hung up on little things , I could of been having a hoot and enjoying Subaru ownership much early if I hadn't got caught up in chasing perfection
Wise words, I suffer being a perfectionist too!
Old 27 April 2014, 08:02 AM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

Yeah some good advice on this thread actually!

On the R32, was a very comfy well equipped car compared to what Im used to as always had Jap cars prior. The big draw was the V6, sounded gorgeous and so addictive. Ultimately though it was a heavy car and felt it. Good for a cruiser and a little fun, but got bored quickly and missed the shove of the turbo versus the buttery smooth N/A engine
Old 27 April 2014, 03:09 PM
ELUSIVEJIM
Scooby Regular

Yeah some good advice on this thread actually!

On the R32, was a very comfy well equipped car compared to what Im used to as always had Jap cars prior. The big draw was the V6, sounded gorgeous and so addictive. Ultimately though it was a heavy car and felt it. Good for a cruiser and a little fun, but got bored quickly and missed the shove of the turbo versus the buttery smooth N/A engine

Yes this is what I heard a lot about the R32. The sound as mentioned is amazing and the Mk1 styling for me personally looks good.

But the weight factor is a huge turn off and you can't beat a turbo.

Cheers mate