Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip to Lake Garda that ticks all boxes...

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2014, 06:38 PM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to Lake Garda that ticks all boxes...

Ok guys,

Planning a trip to Northern Italy with the good lady.
From little research it's clear that the best route is:

France
Belgium
Luxembourg
Germany
Austria
Switzerland

I just wondered if any of you could give pointers on:

Do's and donts
Routes
Tunnels
Alps/Passes
Autobahnen(unrestricted)
Places to aim for to stay

Basically a route tried and tested. I have fair bit of experience driving over there with few trips to the Ring and Spa!

Forgive me if there is already a produced route on public display elsewhere lol!

If there is a route to download for sat nav then even better.

Kind Regards in advance
Old 07 April 2014, 07:14 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

I would take the Meridien right through the middle of France and towards Montpellier then drive East towards Italy along the entire Amalfi coast (south france) it's driving bliss, can even pick up Monaco and do a bit of the grand prix circuit on the way. Avoid Paris like the plague, it is a nightmare to drive through, but if you've not been well worth a look.
The Meridien is a very boring road, but gets you there quick.

I drove to Girona (north east spain) in my old 2010 WRX STI. Took meridien all the way to the south coast then headed west towards Barcelona. Good drive. Also, it's the wrong way for you, but a drive through Andorra is a must. Amazing scenery and great roads with death dealing drops!
Old 07 April 2014, 07:34 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Get out of France asap. Go via Germany(black forest region) then Switzerland. I have done via France coming home, boring apart from coming back over Alps. Actually we diverted back into Germany as the French are miserable and close up shop for hours during midday including petrol stations . This was on a motorcycle trip, so Alps were great. Bonus for motorcycle, you can pick off cars when the alps get congested.

We stayed on the peninsula on the south of the lake. Lovely weather, mad roads that loop the lake, very congested. Hired a boat for a fews hours and went swimming in the middle of the lake. Plenty of restaurants around.
Old 07 April 2014, 07:35 PM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dabiscuit
I would take the Meridien right through the middle of France and towards Montpellier then drive East towards Italy along the entire Amalfi coast (south france) it's driving bliss, can even pick up Monaco and do a bit of the grand prix circuit on the way. Avoid Paris like the plague, it is a nightmare to drive through, but if you've not been well worth a look.
The Meridien is a very boring road, but gets you there quick.

I drove to Girona (north east spain) in my old 2010 WRX STI. Took meridien all the way to the south coast then headed west towards Barcelona. Good drive. Also, it's the wrong way for you, but a drive through Andorra is a must. Amazing scenery and great roads with death dealing drops!
Many thanks for your input fella
Got lounge covered in atlas's ect
Mmm looks very tempting that coast road!!
Going to gather and collate as much info as poss then start plotting, like said mate i want to make a trip of a life time for my good lady.... oh and my Audi to stretch its legs lol 510/700
Old 07 April 2014, 07:43 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPE R BRAD
Going to gather and collate as much info as poss then start plotting, like said mate i want to make a trip of a life time for my good lady.... oh and my Audi to stretch its legs lol 510/700
https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/9...pt-2014-a.html
Old 07 April 2014, 07:45 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TYPE R BRAD
I know this sounds daft, but what ethnicity are you and your missus? I only ask because mine is Indian and I don't think they see many in mid-south France. No word of a lie the majority of french people are quite rude and really upset my missus. Plus their service stations are cack. Dunno about germany, but they're probably much nicer
Old 07 April 2014, 08:03 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

The Germans are definitely friendlier than the French in my experience
Old 07 April 2014, 08:34 PM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

We all good we are both 100% thorough breds lol

I am not wanting to start a riot but i tend to agree the French reputation does precede itself with the Germans being super nice!

Thanks guys.....

Not going till end of May begin of July and getting super excited

Gathering all info as sooo many conflicting views as its all down to different experiences!

Old 07 April 2014, 08:52 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

In Luxembourg you should fill up at the Berchem/Bettembourg service areas - avoid German mway service stations - v expensive
Old 09 April 2014, 11:04 PM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the warning mate.

Yes I remember vpower more in Germany but it's also higher RON than here

Well any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Passes are most important.

I think I have a slight better idea on route now but am happy for first hand experiences

Cheers
Old 10 April 2014, 07:59 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do Dover Dunkirk with Norfolk Line or whatever they're calling themselves today, usually the cheapest at around £19 if you book well in advance. Avoid France like the plague and head straight for Belgium as France will cost you an extra €100 in tolls. I set my Navman to avoid tolls, there is still the odd one but the route you outlined is the best / cheapest then just head for Strasbourg, luxembourg then the Gottard tunnel.

If you want some enjoyment and aren't too knackered by the time you get there then take the pass instead of the tunnel, i've never done it as i'm always on a mission to get to Milan by 7pm to have some fun with my best mate, after leaving Notts at 2am to get the 6am ferry by the time I get there I just want it to be over. There is also the Mont Blanc tunnel which i've used when Gottard is closed which happens a lot, so keep a check on the way as you really don't want to get stuck in traffic there, it's not uncommon for it to be closed for half the day or night and your basically fcuked as there's no way out once your committed to it because all routes out will be choca block.

Don't forget to buy a vinjete in Luxembourg €7 at the petrol station, not sure if Austria are doing it also (maybe just for trucks) but the fines are VERY heavy if you get caught without one, as in €500, same in Switzerland too so stop at the border and get one even if there's no one checking as you go through.

Edit to add, could be vice versa with Austria/Luxembourg, I never pay attention anymore.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 10 April 2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10 April 2014, 11:34 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I probably do more miles in europe than most on here...some tips.

Agree avoid France - head to Belguim and cut accross that way
No tolls in Belguim. Bussels ring road motorway can be a mare for Jams though
Belguim V power at a lower octaine rating than UK.

Carry -
Fire extinguisher
First aid kit
Reflective Vests
Spare Pack of Bulbs
Breathaliser for France - (have been told that this has been halted for the time being)
Then you are covered legaly in all countries

Beware of using camera detectors in various places
Carry 600 Euros - Just on the sheer bad luck you come accross that one policeman in Belguim, or wherever, that takes a massive dislike to you. You can pay him on the spot with cash, rather than having car taken ect ect.

Germany enjoy it
Allways check rear mirrors, as even at 120mph you might not be the fasted on the road
V power higher octaine rating than the UK

Look out especialy when crossing the border between Germany and Austria as the motor way goes from derestricted to 130kph limit. And the Austrian police are often there in those first few Ks waiting for people.
Austria - before getting there buy the vinjete/toll sticker for your windscreen in the petrol stations, just before the border, in Germany.

Petrol way cheaper in Austria than Germany - but I have found V power harder to come by.
(take some NF octaine booster - as get out of jail card)

Do NOT speed in switzerland they throw the book at you and set light to your children.
Italians are a bit all over the place. Expect losts of tailgaiting.
If you do the Alpine passes like I do allways, choose the Italian ones over the swiss one. As if caught hooning...the Italians will probably be softer on you than the swiss

There is more ...but some tips for you.

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 10 April 2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10 April 2014, 02:09 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, much useful info there.
Old 10 April 2014, 02:50 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

I would take the Meridien right through the middle of France and towards Montpellier then drive East towards Italy along the entire Amalfi coast (south france) it's driving bliss,

Isn't the Amalfi coast south of Sorrento and Naples on the west coast of Italy?
Old 10 April 2014, 03:26 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Or whatever its called. Cote de azur?
Old 10 April 2014, 10:07 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Or whatever its called. Cote de azur?
dats the one !