My Newage project

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2009, 07:20 PM
al02uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Newage project

Hi all,

For those who are interested, this is my 2001 Bugeye WRX.

I bought it as a CAT D front end write off, it ony had 18000 miles on the clock. As you can see in the pictures, I have pretty much completed the outside, I just need some new wheels and to upgrade the brakes.

It had a few mods done to it which produced 374bhp. I thought I was pushing my luck a bit with pretty much everything else supporting these was standard......The first thing to go was the gearbox!!!

Having well and truely caught the modding bug by now I sourced a 6 Speed box with low miles and an ACT clutch and had it fitted.

I also bought a TD05 Big 16g turbo to replace the VF29 I had previously fitted and turned the boost to 1.5

After being a bit heavy footed on the accelerator the following happened....

In a strange sort of way I was quite happy at this because I could finally convince the other half that I needed to build a new engine
Old 14 June 2009, 07:47 PM
al02uk
Scooby Regular

Default The start...............

I have already taken the engine out and pretty much dismantled everything. I haven't taken any pictures of this because by now you have pretty much seen everything that goes on with a rebuild.

I sourced an EJ257 block from Subaru, this was taken from a 2007 car with 22000 miles on the clock. It was a warranty claim and they wanted rid, I got it for £300 inclidung the crank and rods. I sold the crank and binned the rods.

I gave it a clean and painted it. You can't see in the pics but I have also put some ACL bearings in.

By the time I took the picture of the other side, the dog insisted on sitting there and watching a fly buzz round the kitchen so I included her.

I also had a quick go at polishing the rocker covers, they probably won't stay that way I'll most likely paint them too

I couldn't decide on a colour for the manifold so I thought I would carry on the exterior blue/black colours on on the engine.

I've also fitted braided fuel hoses just to make it look a little better.

I'm looking for the black clips that clip the loom at the top but I can't find them anywhere, If anyone knows where to get some it will be much appreciated.

Here is a picture of the ported TGV's, I completely lost the will to live doing this, it seemed to take forever. Apparently this makes a huge difference when going for high power, I'm going for about 450bhp so hopefully this will help.

I bought these pistons from America, they were only £240!! what a bargin. They also look nice, shame you can't see them once they are in.

Well that's it for the moment, I have spoken to API engines, once I have the money together I will take the EJ20 heads up to him for them to be machined to fit the EJ25 block, I will also take the block just to ensure that it is actually ok.

I'm planning on getting a new crank, rods uprated waterpump etc. I don't have a budget as such but I'm certainly looking for bargins.

I will keep you posted as I progress.

Andy
Old 15 June 2009, 10:14 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Black Im looks good, but I'm biased

Good luck and keep taking the pics
Old 15 June 2009, 02:17 PM
big jase
Scooby Newbie

all the best with your project mate
Old 15 June 2009, 07:17 PM
al02uk
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,

a couple of questions, is the turbo inlet hose able to hold 450bhp, and are the STI pinks able to aswell?

I dont want to change things for the sake of it as prices will start to mount up but if its needed then I will
Old 16 June 2009, 08:39 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i think the inlet hose will be OK but the flow is restrictive due to the shape so I'd upgrade it (I run a Samco inlet hose).

not sure on the injectors, you can get them converted to flow more though which is cheaper than buying new ones.
Old 16 June 2009, 07:46 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My pinks are at 94% at only 390 bhp.... and I've upped the standard fuel pressure by 0.5 bar.

HTH

dunx
Old 16 June 2009, 08:04 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez u got an epic bargain with that block, from a stealer to! Congrats.
Old 16 June 2009, 08:31 PM
al02uk
Scooby Regular

I didn't realise I got a real bargin until I started reading on here, I was haggling like hell aswell because I was conviced that £400 was too much.

I'll probably get new injectors later on, I will keep the pinks in for the running in period then get it remapped with bigger injectors fitted.

Sorry to sound so new on this but I gather the standard FPR can't hold 450bhp??