Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Hill Climb and Sprint RA Project thread eventually

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2008, 05:29 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hill Climb and Sprint RA Project thread eventually

Well decided it was about time I posted some info on the car I have been using this year in the Scottish Hll climb and sprint Championship. The car is a MY93 WRX RA and apart from a set of Coilovers, a newage WRX TMIC, induction kit and a 3" decat system, it was pretty much standard when I purchased it.

The car was in pretty good condition with only very light surface corrosion on the underside so that had to be treated and painted first, the rear suspension however was showing signs of rust so it was all removed cleaned and either treated and painted or replaced. The car underfloor area was sanded down down, washed and treated with POR 15 metal ready which is almost like a zinc coating. It was apinted with Por 15 paint which is a very hard wearing paint designed for just this sort of application. It went on amazingly well and gave a high gloss finish which looks good, not the intention but a bonus, and is easy to keep clean. One unwanted by product of the POR 15 is the 2 weeks it takes to get all the drops and splashes off your skin. Even suited up and with gloves on I still managed to get covered in it, looked like a dalmation for about a week

The rear hubs were changed for a pair of late blob eye WRX hubs, all the bushes were replaced with powerflex bushes and the lateral arms powder coated . The roll bars were changed to adjustable Perrin items with the stout mounts at the rear and rear Perrin drop links. The results were better than expected.

The next item on the list was the brakes so I replaced the front and rear set ups with a set of 4 pot fronts which I got from Ian Godney at Godspeed brakes, they were completely overhauld so were pretty much as new. The rear set up is a brand new set of 2 pots which I got from Alyn at AS Performance who was a great help with advice and supply of parts as things progressed. This was completed with DS2500's all round.

The gear box was next on the agenda, the original RA box had been damaged prior to me purchasing the car so it was removed and on inspection it was pretty much destroyed with the 3rd/4th gear set looking a bit sorry for itself, it looked like the locking nut had come loose allowing the gears to move resulting in a catastrophic failure of the box. To be honest it wasnt a problem as the RA ratio's are not really suited to the use the car was destined for so the box was replaced with an 04 WRX box, the box was sourced from Jazz66 on here, top fella A rear plated diff was added to complete the gear train.
The gear box fit was a doodle but I had issues with rear diff carrier. I had purchased a set of powerflex bushes to stiffen up the carrier but these did not fit.

As you can see the bushes are to small. It turned out that the RA and possibly some of the other early imports had a different rear subframe set up for the diff carrier. I phoned Powerflex and spoke to a very helpful chap. Paul Solbe, he informed me that the bush kit I had was the only one they made and they had no idea there was a different kind of carrier. He suggested I send down my carrier and they would see what they could do. A week later and Paul phoned, they had made me a set of bushes and planned to put them into production - result all round. I have a set of stiffened bushes and powerflex have managed to increase the range they have available. So a big thanks to Paul at Powerflex for help above and beyond the call of duty :thumbup:

Next it was time to start on the engine bay. First thing on the agenda was removal of the blobeye WRX TMIC and fitting of a hybrid FMIC along with parallel fuel mod and larger injectors. For the fitting of the FMIC I found the following scobynet project thread a great help

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...r-project.html

The parallel fuel mod was fairly straight forward but a bit of advice from my subaru oracle made it a lot easier. I used alloy -6 connections throughout the engine fuel feed side although there are some -8 fuel lines and fittings from the tank side. I also had a set of modified fuel rails with -6 fittings to complete the instal correctly. Although properly fitted push fit connections may have been all right I wanted the job done right so decided the more expensive fittings was the only way to go. It was a fairly lengthy process making up the fuel lines and working out where I wanted to run the hoses and where I wanted the FPR. I found the cost of the connectors in rip off UK was horrific so I imported these from the states making a healthy saving and purchased the braided hose from Pirtek. Big thanks to the guys at Pirtek in Paosley who were excellent in ordering the hoses and Mikalor clamps etc and a small discount was also nice as well :thumbup:

The parallel fuel mod was fairly straight forward but a bit of advice from my subaru oracle made it a lot easier. I used alloy -6 connections throughout the engine fuel feed side although there are some -8 fuel lines and fittingss from the tank side. It was a fairly lengthy process making up the fuel lines and working out where I wanted to run the hoses and where I wanted the FPR. I found the cost of the connectors in rip off UK was horrific so I imported these from the states making a healthy saving and purchased the braided hose from Pirtek.

and the after first lot of changes

to be cont

Last edited by Arch; 26 October 2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 25 September 2008, 05:30 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

cont

Next it was time to tackle the fuel tank in the boot, run the fuel lines to the tank and instal the filter, pump and new pump wiring. I used a new fused feed for the pump as it would draw more current than the original in tank pump Walbro and used the original fuel pump switching signal to switch a relay which then supplied the power to the relay. The tank is baffled at two levels to ensure there will be no fuel surge at low fuel levels. The tank was designed by John St so that we could use a tank with sufficient quantity to allow road use but able to run with minimal fuel on track without any surge issues. It has proven to be very very effective. John hasnt had a chance or real need to use his yet but at least we now know it works really well. I had to add bracing for the tank as the whole design is based on a tall thin tank so I used some light alluminium angle to provide a very strong but light support structure. At the time I had to make sure the positioning of the supports provided sufficient rigidity to the tank but also left me space to carry jerry cans in the boot as I would be driving to and from events. The bracing was time consuming but well worth it.

I added a small LED to the fuel pump power feed which allows to see at a glance if the pump is getting a power supply this would save time in diagnosing a fuel pump problem. I have also fused the pump after the relay.

Having fitted the tank in the boot it is necessary to firewalll the inside of the car from the boot. I done this by shaping and cutting a large piece of aircraft grade alluminium and riveting this in place. I again used some light weight alluminium angle to brace the rear of the panel to stop it flapping around and acting like one of Raulph Harris's bendy comedy musical instruments . At the same time all the cut outs on the rear window shelf were also fire walled in the same way. All panels were then sealed with fire resistant sealant to ensure no fluids could transfer into the cabin if things went wrong.

Next I removed as much of the interior trim as possible including the carpet underseal and door trims seats etc.

Things were really starting to take shape at this point but I still had to wire in the AVCR and mount MY APEXI Power FC and Commander. I also had a shift light which I wanted to mount on the cage leg around eye level and set of gauges to plumb, wire and mount (Oil PX, Oil Temp and water temp).
I decided not to use the temp gauge to measure water temp but place the sensor as close as possible to the air filter to give an indication of inlet air temp. I am not happy with the inside of the car, it is functional but looks tatty. At this stage there was no reason to smarten it up too much as I would be packing the car with wheels, spares, tools etc when driving to and from events.

The next stage was to get the car running. On advice from Andy F, I used a safe setting for injector duty cycle with the plan of getting the car running and off over to Andy for him to work his magic on it.

to be cont

Last edited by Arch; 09 October 2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 25 September 2008, 05:32 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

CONT

Well at this point it would be around Feb this year and the pressure is starting to mount. So I arranged a mapping session with Andy and headed off to Port Seaton. Things didnt go well with the car running very rough but I made the assumption that the changes that had been made along with the guesstimate fueling would be the cause. Once at Andy's it became apparent that there was something not right he could not set up the idle and the fueling was all wrong at idle. Andy immediately suspected an air leak, he spent considerable time and effort trying to sort the problem out for me but it became obvious that it was pointless. I was conscious of not wanting to waste Andy's time any more than I already had so I set off back home a bit deflated and very down.

The next morning I decided to try and solve the problem, armed with Andy's advice and some advice and encouragement from John the previous night, I set about trying to find the leak. I used a can of smoke detector testing spray around all the areas I had disturbed and it became obvious that there was an issue around the no.3 cylinder leg of the inlet manifold so it was off with the manifold and the culprit was diagnosed.

There was a crack in the leg of the manifold. This must have happened when I refitted it, I am still unsure why this happened as the gaskets were not creased or damaged so it may just have been a weakness in the casting as the bolts were not overtightened on fitment. So it was my subaru guru to the rescue once again with another inlet manifold. A quick coat of paint and in it went and I then adjusted the injector duty cycles to the levels recommended by Andy (the car would not previously run at these settings). I was certain that I had sorted the problem so when I turned the key to find it still did not idle, but did at least run with these settings, I was a bit surprised. Andy had been a bit unsure of the ICV when I was through so I changed this and hey presto the car ran pretty sweet with no idle issues. Thank ****.

I now had real time issues as the season was near to starting and I had not had the car on track at all. A call to Andy brought good news as he kindly managed to sqeeze me in at short notice, thanks again for that it is appreciated. :thumbup:

Well off I went across to Port Seaton again but this time I was fairly confident that the car was ok, it ran fine and idled ok. As is the norm Andy done his thing and transformed the car. Due to time constraints we did not have time to carry out a road dyno run so I am unsure of the power but given that the engine and Turbo are standard I would suspect that the power is near 300BHP with possibly similar torque figures maybe slightly less.

Next came the call to John at Progrip in Bonnybridge to have the geometry set up. John managed to slot me in when I explained my problems. John set the car up to the settings John St had recommended using some pretty nifty equipment. After a bit of banter and a cup of tea I parted with a more than reasonable sum of money for what I would suggest is a lot of work for very reasonable cost from a guy who knows this area of cars inside out.

On the way home I had the chance to throw the car around a little and was amazed at what it would let me do without unsettling the car, thanks John top work. :thumbup:

At this point all I had to do was fit a catch can, remove the battery and fit and relocate the new gel battery I got via a scoobynet group buy. I also needed tart up the outside and fit a Splitter, some mini bonnet scoops and some much cheapness wing mirrors. I also had to get my personal scrutineer down from Cumbernauld to check my handy work out.

The battery relocation was fairly straight forward as I had already had a custom made battery tray made that would allow fitment on the rear of the LH chasis leg

With everthing pretty much in place I had completely ran out of time and the first event was only a week away. That left no time to test the car or look at any suspension tweeks etc so it was pretty much a case of being thrown in at the deep end.
I had already orgainised my entry and had my competition licence suit helmet and boots all ready to go. So with everything organised it was off to Kames for my very first sprint of what looked like a daunting list of events.

SSC Round 1 13 April, 2008 Kames Scottish Sporting C.C.
SHC Round 1 19 April, 2008 Doune Lothian C.C.
SHC Round 2* 20 April, 2008 Doune Lothian C.C.
SHC Round 3 27 April, 2008 Forrestburn Monklands Sporting C.C.
SSC Round 2 03 May, 2008 East Fortune Lothian C.C
SSC Round 3 04 May, 2008 East Fortune Lothian C.C
SHC Round 4* 10 May, 2008 Fintray Grampian A.C.
SHC Round 5 11 May, 2008 Fintray Grampian A.C.
SSC Round 4* 24 May, 2008 Kames East Ayrshire C.C.
SSC Round 5 25 May, 2008 Kames Machars Car Club
SSC Round 6* 7 June, 2008 Golspie Littleferry Caithness C.C.
SSC Round 7 8 June, 2008 Golspie Kylestrome Caithness C.C.
SHC Round 6 21/22 June, 2008 Doune Lothian C.C.
SHC Round 7 28 June, 2008 Forrestburn Monklands Sporting C.C.
SHC Round 8* 29 June, 2008 Forrestburn Monklands Sporting C.C.
SSC Round 8* 5 July, 2008 Boyndie Circuit 1 Aberdeen & District M.C.
SSC Round 9 6 July, 2008 Boyndie Circuit 2 Aberdeen & District M.C.
SSC Round 10* 19/20 July, 2008 Alford Grampian A.C.
SSC Round 11 2 August, 2008 Kames East Ayrshire C.C.
SSC Round 12 3 August, 2008 Kames East Ayrshire C.C.
SHC Round 9* 9 August , 2008 Fintray Grampian A.C.
SHC Round 10 10 August, 2008 Fintray Grampian A.C.
SHC Round 11* 24 August, 2008 Forrestburn Monklands Sporting C.C.
SSC Round 13 13 September, 2008 Golspie Littleferry Caithness C.C.
SSC Round 14* 14 September, 2008 Golspie Kylestrome Caithness C.C.
SSC Round 15 20 September, 2008 Alford Aberdeen & District M.C.
SSC Round 16 21 September, 2008 Alford Aberdeen & District M.C.
SSC Round 12 27/28 September, 2008 Doune Lothian C.C

As i expected for my first ever event it rained , while this was good for one other 4 wheel drive car and driver who has lots of experience it didnt exactly fill me with joy. Fortunately it didnt rain all weekend.

So here we go first start and I must admit it was a weird feeling real excitement but also a little apprehension.

John was also on track showing me how it should be done.

So with the first event done and no issues with the car at all it I was pretty pleased. I certainly wasnt the fastest on the day but that was never going to be the case and having proven the car over a 2 day event I was happy with my work over the winter. The car handled well and went pretty well to, the limiting factor was definately the ability of the driver but as time went on I hoped to show steady improvement.

So next up the easiest event of the calender, Doune, shouldnt have to many issues there after all its only a small hillclimb and only about 50 secs. How hard can it be

to be Cont

Last edited by Arch; 09 October 2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 25 September 2008, 11:26 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

One of the best posts I have read since joining Scoobynet in May 2000.

Good write up supported my excellent pictures.

Makes great reading
Old 25 September 2008, 12:08 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excellent thread, you have good men advising you on what to do.
Old 25 September 2008, 12:22 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P20SPD
excellent thread, you have good men advising you on what to do.
Thanks for the kind comments, the advice I have had has been excellent and the results would never have been possible without it

Last edited by Arch; 09 October 2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 25 September 2008, 03:23 PM
paulcwrx
Scooby Regular

What a read! Superb.
Old 25 September 2008, 08:31 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

CONT

Well the next event on the calender was The Doune hillclimb, date was the 19th April, seem to remember that day for some strange reason!
I had been to Doune loads of times to watch John and had walked the track a few times but to be honest until you are faced with driving up it the actual width of the track does not fully register. I was well briefed on my first walk up the hill as a competitor by both John St and Graham Bremner another experienced campaigner. It was now beginning to dawn on me why this particular hill is both loved and feared!

Well off i went with two practice runs safely under my belt the first very tentative and the 2nd just tentative. A break for lunch brought a chance to walk the hill a second time before the first of the timed runs. I was feeling a lot more confident at this point and was looking forward to the main event. After some last minute advice I launched off the line into second and set up for the first corner, round it no bother took third gear and bang torque steered straight into the wall - ouch was my initial thoughts. The worst thing was I managed to get the car straight and move it to the next marshals post and get it turned facing back down the hill. I then had to wait around 45 mins while they rebuilt the wall and fencing at the corner all the time knowing that the car was damaged and that this was holding the whole event up. I am still unsure of why it happened but know it was my error. I either lifted while on the power with lock on or put the power down too early with the wheels not straight either way it was a bad decision

I managed to get the car down and then began to asses the damage.

Most of the damage was pretty much confined to the bonnet, drivers wing, bumper/splitter, lights etc but the intercooler had suffered a direct hit from a piece of wood that clad the wall just after the corner so it was definitely a show stopper. I decided to strip the car there and then with a view to trying to get it ready for the Sun. After some much needed encouragement from John I set about it partly filled with anger at such a stupid error and partly with a determination not to let it beat me.

So with the car stripped it was easy to see what was needed to get it back running. The bonnet was pushed a bit. the drivers wing was bent slightly around the side light area, the headlight, sidelight and indicators on the drivers side were all damaged beyond repair and the bumper bar was scrap. The intercooler core was, well you have seen the pics, and the bottom drivers side intercooler pipe was shall we say a different shape and had a bit of a restriction :P

With the car all stripped and John finished his timed runs we loaded it onto Johns trailer and headed of to John's to carry out some cosmetic surgery. With some new parts from the Stevenson spares package and some very useful MSA approved white tape to rebuild the front bumper we had the car road legal and running within 2 hours - result
We ended up with the following result the next day.

Picture showing the wooden clad wall on the drivers side I managed to modify

I would love to say I jumped in the car torched up the hill and beat the class record but you would know I was lying so I managed 4 runs up the hill and a respectable final time which got me 2 points in the championship. So its fair to say I will remember my first outing at Doune. I have deliberately not done anything with the rear bumper to keep as a reminder not to get to smart as the car will bite back. I now look at Doune with a lot more respect, at 14 feet wide and wall and armco either side of the first half of the hill it is a hill that quite rightly deserves respect. I owe a massive thanks to John for his help and support on that day as it was definitely a back to earth with a bump sort of day. But as with all experiences all you can do is try to learn from it.

to be cont

Last edited by Arch; 09 October 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 26 September 2008, 10:55 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Great thread and great results...glad you got your minor off sort so quickly
Old 29 September 2008, 02:03 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Well with the exploites of Doune out of the way it was off to Forrestburn next on the 27th April. Another hill climb hosted by Monklands Sporting Car Club, it is located not far from Shotts. I had never been to Forrestburn before so was completely in the dark about the track. Well after walking the track any illusions I had of a nice easy day were completely shattered. In many ways it is as technical as Doune with a very narrow track with lots of adverse camber, yumps, dry stone dykes and grassed areas with icebergs imbedded ready to rip your car to sheds. mmm interesting.

With John not there Graham Bremner took me under his wing and gave me some pointers I did start to think oh here we go again when Graham explained that a yump after the start line just where the road takes a slight right turn can throw the car right into the wall if you are not careful .

Turned out to be a successfull day where I picked up 4 points in the Hillclimb Championship - result The scoring for the Hills is much simpler than the sprints and is based on the fastest up the hill in each class scoring 5 points 2nd fastest 4 points etc etc.

The car held up well with the superb MSA approved white tape working a treat holding the bumper together. It has almost chameleon like qualities as the pics show.

Next up on the 3rd/4th Maywas the next Sprint hosted by Lothian Car club held at East Fortune. This is an old airfield and the track is big, fast and wide and should be ideally suited to the car. It was a two day event which I must admit was really enjoyable. The difference between the sprints and the hills is massive. In this instance the circuit is all about power. There was only John and I in A3 road saloons which was really disappointing given that the track is ideal for cars in this class. Unfortunately i dont have any pictures of East Fortune but the two days went well for me and I picked up good points for the sprint championship. John unfortunately had no luck with his gear selector breaking on the Sun, he did however still manage to beat me even with his car only having 3rd gear mmm still got a long way to go I think :huh:

The events at this part of the year were coming thick and fast and you really have no time to do much to the car in between apart from basic checks before each event.

We have now reached 10th/11th May and the Finrty Hill climb just north of Aberdeen hosted by Grampian Automoblie Club. This is a short Hill climb but again quite technical with a wicked yump just before you cross the finish line which has caused numerous cars to be propelled into the trees if you get it wrong Bit of a theme developing on these hill climbs. Again over the two days it was more about both track and driving experience for me and any points picked up were a bonus. Unfortunately for Graham and Jennifer their Exige developed a problem on the Sat, he double enters the car with his partner Jennifer, Graham had been offered a drive in another Elise for the Sun so not wanting Jeniffer to have a wasted day I asked her if she wanted to drive my car on the Sun. It would be an interesting exercise to get some feedback on the car and also to see Jennifer's times as she is pretty quick in the Exige and used to driving a much more powerful 4 wheel drive Sierra Cosworth. Armed with some sound advice from Graham We set off on the Sun runs. Things were going well with Jennifer getting used to a 4 wheel drive car again and her times just slightly less than mine. Then came the second timed run and Jennifer pops up with a very quick run some 1.5 secs quicker than my 1st timed run, oh well no pressure for the 2nd timed run then. With a bit of competition going on and not wanting someone else to be quicker in my car I managed to pull a much quicker time beating Jennifer by just under a second which was a result as Jeniffer is very quick on this hill. I managed to pick up a point each day which wasn't to bad considering the entry list and the other more powerful and more experinced drivers. Just getting the confidence to power over the finish line was worth the visit.

Slightly more familiar settings now on the 24th and 25th May as it is back to kames. John has set some amazing times at Kames which makes it a very hard place to pick up points but armed with a visit already under my belt I hoped to improve on my last visit. The car was still running well with only some issues off the start line asociated with hitting the rev limiter which was making starts a bit harder to get right. On my first visit I had only managed to pick up 16 points which was a bit disapointing, but perhaps I was looking for more than expected from my very first sprint and the first time I had driven the car on track.

The Sat went fairly well with my times well down on my previous visit.

The Sunday turned out to be a bit of a defining moment for me and unfortunately it came about purely due to John's misfortune. My time on Sunday morning were very similar to my Sat times and I was starting to wonder if I could actually do this, my times were 2-3 seconds down on similar cars and I didnt feel I could go much faster in the corners, the straights I know i could but the corners were an issue. Unfortunately for John his engine expired in quite spectacular style, being the type of person he is instead of worrying about his own problems he decided it would be interesting to try his wheels on my car to see what difference it made.
Well the difference was night and day I recorded A 91 sec run which was way quicker than any time I had done previously by nearly 5 secs.

The car felt superb it stuck in the corners with just a little predictable slide but was better than before. I was really looking forward to pushing much harder on the second timed run. Unfortunately I now felt invinceable and after a good first lap I promptly overestimated the capabilities of the car and driver and spun the car coming out of the padock hairpin - oops. No damage done other than a poor time. Never the less it was a good day and a very important learning experience. Although the wheel and tyre combination I was using were very effective the change produced impressive results. The only down side to the day was the breakage to John's engine after what was looking like a very promising outing for the new car.

John In action before engine problems forced his retirement from the event.

Due to a family holiday I missd both The Golspie sprint (big mistake) and Doune in June.

To be Cont

Last edited by Arch; 09 October 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01 October 2008, 02:46 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Well fresh back from Holiday it was back to the grind. I had removed the bonnet and drivers wing, sourced a new bumper, grill and splitter and all had gone to Brian Leeson motors in Kilsyth ( http://www.paperclip.org.uk/Business/leeso...%20Information) to be repaired and painted so that I could fit them on my return from Holiday. It was time to say goodbye to my old bumper grill and that magic tape.

True to his word Derek (Leeson) had all the parts ready and even delivered them for me. The results were superb and would make the car look even better than before the mishap at Doune, the quality of the work was flawless - Derek and Brian thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated It was a simple task reassembling everything and the results were much better than I anticipated.

So next it was off to Forrestburn with the new front end ready for its first test.

The two days went well and i managed to pick up 3 points on the saturday and 4 points on the Sunday another good set of results at Forrestburn

Next up was one I had been looking forward to 5th and 6th July at Boyndie near Banff, this sprint was hosted by Aberdeen and District Motor Club. The trips up north are always good as there are always plenty of cars in class A3 which it makes it more competative and really pushes you on more.
The weather stayed mostly dry and made for a good weekend on track as well as a few sociable drinks at night

As expected there was the usual large entry list for our class with plenty of Evo's, a couple of Subaru's (me and John) and some other well sorted cars.

This was a really successfull weekend as I really enjoyed the circuit, which changes layout from a very tight circuit on the sat to a more open layout on the Sun. I managed to pick up the highest points I had managed so far with 27.78 on the sat and 28.17 out of 32 on the sun - result.

The events were again relentless with the Alford sprint hosted by Grampian Automobile club next up on thee 19th and 20th July. Alford is a figure of eight affair with two cross overs during each run. The hardest part about the circuit is remembering when to cross over. I walked the track on the sat morning with Graham, David and John and had it all sorted in my head when to cross. I promptly torched of the line round the circuit and forgot to cross over, the red flag was about the same colour as my face fortunately it was only practice oops I didnt get ridiculed much tho

The saturday turned into a bit of a nightmare for John with his drop gears breaking late in the morning. In true style he jumped into the legacy and set of for home to pick a set up. At the same time Mrs S aided by Kenny S were looking out the relevant parts with Mrs S heading north to meet John half way between Cumbernauld and Aberdeen. At the same time Myself and David Reid had the car jacked up onto axle stands, exhaust removed rear casing off and everything ready for John's return. At about 5pm the legacy pulls up and we then set about replacing the DCCD and the drop gears. 2 hours later the cars off round the track for a quick test before we all head off for something to eat and a well earned

The timed runs on the Sunday brought rain and as a result poor times which limited the points. Never the less another 25 points in the bank for the championship.

I did have a slight mishap on the last timed run when a rogue hay bail jumped out at me forcing me to spin onto the grass narrowly missing another bail well at least thats how I remember it some are trying to suggest I may have went into the hair pin to fast and made a mess of it, how dare they .

I cant finish Alford without putting up this amazing picture captured by John S. It shows Bobby davidson in his Nova, he managed to clip the kerb on the cross over and it just launched the car onto two wheels, how it did not roll I will never know. John I hope you dont mind me using the pic :thumbup:

to be cont

Last edited by Arch; 16 October 2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: pics added
Old 01 October 2008, 09:32 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Car looks great, congrats on your best results so far and on the getting JS's car back into the event. Look forward to the next instalment
Old 01 October 2008, 04:19 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Great write up, I see you didn't give Johns wheels back straight away
Old 01 October 2008, 07:18 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Great write up, I see you didn't give Johns wheels back straight away
Jay good spot I did manage to keep hold of them for a couple of events until my new tyres arrived. You may see them back on later on though

Thanks for the kind comments guys

Last edited by Arch; 09 October 2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07 October 2008, 02:30 PM
Flo555
Scooby Regular

Very nice write up and nice pics.
Old 16 October 2008, 02:16 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Well we are now into August already and the last two months of the season with 6 events crammed into that time.

First up it was back to Kames for the last time this year. I was starting to grow in confidence here but the times set previously by John make picking up points with car the way it is very difficult. The scoring system needs a mathematician in tow to calculate but from my point of view the times I needed to do to achieve good points were unrealistic in the car.

This was a two day event over the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd August. This was also the first time I had trailered the car to events after picking up a trailer the week before. I was hoping this would make a difference mentally as it had alsways been in the back of my mind during previous events "I have to drive this home", having negative thoughts like that have to be a hinderance.

The first practice session didnt start well with torrential rain, which to be honest was dangerous, there was some standing water on the straight before the hairpin on the anti-clockwise circuit right where you want to start braking. You guessed it I was slightly over zealous and ended up sliding a little onto the grass at the hairpin, fortunately no damage done. Not surprisingly though the water was brushed from the track pretty quickly after wards!
Fortunately the sun came out and the track dried up nicely which made for a good couple of days on track.

Sunday also proved to be dry and sunny, the track was run on the more familiar clockwise pattern as opposed to the anti clockwise set up on Saturday.

My times at Kames while improving were not picking me up useful points and ultimately I would end up dropping all my scores at Kames this year which is something I must address for next year

The next event on the calender was the Fintry House Hillclimb. Unfortunately due to work commitments and dwindling leave I had to miss this event.

So next up for me was anoher trip to the Hillclimb at Forrestburn. This was a single day event hosted by Monklands Sporting Car Club. This turned out to be a pretty disapointing event.

With two not to bad practice runs under my belt and the hill pretty much sorted in my head I set off on my first timed run. I felt pretty confident but I managed to get it all wrong on the last third of the hill and spun the car after trying to brake far to late for a corner, again no damage done other than a rubbish time. I had gone from 2nd in class after practic to last

The 2nd timed run obviously had more pressure than normal and a combination of braking at places I should not be braking and a mistake at the first hairpin left me in 4th place in class at the end of the day. All in all a day to forget.

to be Cont

Last edited by Arch; 16 October 2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 16 October 2008, 04:41 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

CONT

Fresh from the disappointments of Forrestburn came the long trip up to Golspie for the Sprint held by Caithness Car Club. I had been told all about this circuit and was looking forward to the weekend. The track is pretty wide and has a couple of decent straights coupled with some adverse camber and a part of the track called the "corkscrew"

The trip up couldnt have been better the sun was shining and the scenary was pretty special. John and I finally arrived at the circuit at 7pm on the friday night and unloaded the cars ready for the Saturday morning, next stop the pub for a well deserved beer

The saturday turned out to be a disaster with every possible problem arising.
The weather was rubbish with rain on and off making for a wet track and then disaster for Jim Kelly in his EVO. His new dog box decided to implode and sent the contents of the gearbox all over the track the whole length of the straight. With only one practice under my belt, which to be honest, i took fairly conservatively trying to learn the track. So this was a real blow.
To be fair to Caithness car club they managed to source a road sweeper and after some real hard work from the members and marshalls along with the road sweeper they had the track cleaned up. By this time it was well into the afternoon and it was decided there was only time for one more run and that would be a timed run. So only one practice and then only one timed run on a circuit I had never even seen before

It all turned out to be academic as the first lot of timed runs including our class were done on a wet track, the sun then came out and dried the track which meant the single seaters were running on a completely dry track. This had the effect of making the event a dry event as opposed to a wet event which was likely if it had stayed wet. The net result for me was taking my points on the Saturday from 24 if it was classed as a wet event to 13 for the dry event . Oh well another dropped score there then.

The Sunday event was looking much better, clear skys and a bit of sun. The track was a slightly different layout with a second straight added and the "corkscrew" on the exit of a hairpin just before the finish line. The cork screw is pretty much that, the track has a slight S bend with a pretty steep left slope followed immediately with a right slope, hard to describe but pretty impressive non the less.

The runs all went pretty well and I managed to pick up some pretty good points which was a welcome relief after Kames and Forrestburn. Having seen this circuit I am really looking forward to going back next year where I hope to be able to be a lot more aggresive armed with the experience of this trip.

Well next up is a return to Boyndie, this should have been Alford but due to building work it has been moved to Boyndie. This really suits me as this is the sprint where I have scored highest this year. The set up at Boyndie is in some ways similar to Golspie in that tey are both cart tracks and both have excellent facilities which makes everything easier.

The whole weekend went really well for me. I picked up very good points again and faired really well against some much more powerful Evo's. The downside was again John having really bad luck with his car. It snapped an exhaust cam on the sat and despite frantic efforts to find a solution we had to admit defeat. He was looking pretty good for 2nd overall in the Scottish sprint championship which given the technical problems he has suffered this year is a pretty amazing achievement. This however left the door open for John to be bypassed and as it turned out, he slipped to 3rd place.
We decided to double enter my car on the Sun so that at least John could have a play on the Sun and also give me some feedback on the car. This turned out to be a pretty useful exercise as John pulled out a time on the second timed run that was only 3 tenths of a second quicker than me but placed him 3rd in class on the day. It shows how tight we were time wise as I ended up 6th in class only 3 tenths slower than John. To be fair John did have problems trying to remember that the clutch is required to change gear on my car and he was apparently seen drinking a can of red bull coming round the paddock corner while shouting why is everything happening so slowly

The only picture I have of John as he comes off the line.

That was the last sprint of the season and only Doune left

The last event of the year the Doune Hill climb, hosted by Lothian car Club. This was also a round of the British Hillclimb Championship which is always nice as there are always some pretty quick cars from down South at this event and also a good turn out of spectators. Watching some of the single seaters attack this hill is something to behold.
From a personal point of view it was another chance to get some confidence back after my mishap here earlier in the year.

The format was practice all day Saturday, a practice on the Sunday morning and then two timed runs after that.

With the possibility of three practice runs I decided to use the first run as a familiarisation especially on the lower part of the hill which is only 14 feet wide and completely enclosed both sides with either armco or stone walls which means any mistake is going to hurt as shown previously.

Clip below of how Doune looks from in car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkzoIVyR4w

Now this is how to drive Doune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn8Vmgs35Mg

You can see from the in car once you come out into the open part of the hill there is a steep hill, and it is steep, at the top there is a right hander you have to turn in early or you end up straight off the other side. Well having successfully, all be it fairly slowly, completed the first half of the hill I got a bit over enthusiastic and braked far to late, I turned in early enough but was going far to fast and ended up well onto the grass on the other side ripping off the splitter in the process oops

I hope to have a new one in place pretty soon, thanks to David Reid for the offer of one for the Sunday runs at Doune but I thought it may be best to wait until after Doune before fitting another one. Thats two splitters at Doune in two visits So will wait until David has one in stock before sorting that area out.
Home

It turned out to be a pretty eventful weekend with a group of mini's from the Mini sprint challenge series also having a go at Doune, quite litterally as they single handedly tried to demolish the hill while killing their cars one by one
I didnt have any other mishaps over the weekend but was left raging. After a pretty good first timed run I had got myself psyched up for a real go at the hill on the last timed run. It all went a bit wrong off the start line as I hit the rev limiter and the car coughed and spluttered all the way round the first corner before picking up again. This has happened before but has never cost me as dear as this time. I had a fit of temper and really pushed the car all the way to the top and ended up only 2 tenths slower than my first timed run. Given that I could almost have walked to the first bend quicker that means I must have put in a pretty good run after that. I must admit it did feel much much quicker and I was sliding closer to the walls than ever before so I suppose that at least gives me a bit more confidence for next year. The down side is the chance I had to take 2nd place in class A3 of the Hill Climb championship had just evaporated

A shot of the drive back down the hill after one of the timed runs.

Well that was the last event of the year. It has gone really quickly and has been a real experience and a very steep learning curve. Armed with the advice I have been given and the experience of the year I hope to see a vast improvement next year.

I must admit to being surprised at how the year has turned out.
I have managed to achieve the following in my very first year of any form of competative motorsport.

2008 Guyson Scottish Sprint Championship
Winner Class A3
4th overall in the newcomers category

2008 Windowcraft Lowland Speed Championship
Winner Class A3
2008 Scottish Sporting Car Club Road Car Shield
Runner Up
The Windowcraft Newcomers Award
Winner

Not a bad result considering at the start of the year all I anticipated was a year to get used to the car and try and get round every circuit to get some experience. To end up with these results has exceeded my expectations, it wouldnt have been possible without all the help I have had - you know who you are

So now its out with the calculator and try and move the car on as far as finances will allow. Did some one say credit crunch

Last edited by Arch; 16 October 2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 25 November 2008, 02:59 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Well its that time of year again. The car is currently sat on axle stands with everthing stripped of the rear. I have cleaned up all the rear underside and wheel arches and painted them with a coat of POR 15. Looks pretty good now. Will get some pics up soon and start the rebuild with some new parts
Old 25 November 2008, 03:13 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

Nice one arch hope to get mine underway on my ten days off in a weeks time give me first shout on your coilovers if they are getting changed Grieg
Old 26 November 2008, 02:37 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Greig I have sent a PM on SIDC
Old 31 December 2008, 06:27 AM
degemoofS
Scooby Newbie

Hi all Îáùàÿ ôèíàíñîâàÿ îò÷åòíîñòü - ýòî îò÷åòíîñòü êîììåð÷åñêîãî áàíêà, èñïîëüçóåìàÿ äëÿ îçíàêîìëåíèÿ è àíàëèçà åãî äåÿòåëüíîñòè Öåíòðàëüíûì áàíêîì, ðóêîâîäèòåëÿìè êîììåð÷åñêîãî áàíêà, äðóãèìè çàèíòåðåñîâàííûìè þðèäè÷åñêèìè è ôèçè÷åñêèìè ëèöàìè, à òàêæå â äàëüíåéøåì - äëÿ îòêðûòîé ïóáëèêàöèè.Ïîä íàä¸æíîñòüþ áàíêà ïîíèìàåòñÿ åãî ñïîñîáíîñòü áåç çàäåðæåê è â ëþáîé ñèòóàöèè íà ðûíêå âûïîëíÿòü âçÿòûå íà ñåáÿ îáÿçàòåëüñòâà.ÂâåäåíèåÏ/×ð* óñòàíîâëåíèå ðåçåðâíûõ òðåáîâàíèé588407Ïîêóïàòåëü (ïëàòåëüùèê 1 Ïðîäàâåö (ïîëó÷àòåëüÍàèáîëåå âàæíûì èç ðàññ÷èòûâàåìûõ êîýôôèöèåíòîâ, îïðåäåëÿþùèõ äîñòàòî÷íîñòü êàïèòàëà, ÿâëÿåòñÿ ïîêàçàòåëü ðèñêîâûõ àêòèâîâ. Îí ïîçâîëÿåò îáúåêòèâíî îöåíèòü îòíîøåíèå ñîâîêóïíîãî êàïèòàëà ê àêòèâàì, çàêëþ÷àþùèì â ñåáå âîçìîæíîñòü óáûòêîâ (òî åñòü ðèñêîâûì àêòèâàì).Âìåñòå ñ òåì, íàáëþäàåòñÿ ðåçêèé îòòîê äåíåæíûõ ñðåäñòâ ñ ðàñ÷åòíûõ ñ÷åòîâ áþäæåòíûõ îðãàíèçàöèé. Òàê, åñëè íà 1.07.06 ãîäà óäåëüíûé âåñ äàííîé ñòàòüè â ðàçðåçå ïðèâëå÷åííûõ ðåñóðñîâ ñîñòàâëÿë 32,8 %, òî çà ïîë ãîäà îíà ñíèçèëàñü íà 82,01 % (37527 ìëí. ð.) è ïî ñîñòîÿíèþ íà 1.01.97 ãîäà ñîñòàâëÿåò òîëüêî 17,99 % îò îáùåãî îáú¸ìà ïðèâëå÷åíèÿ0,35 %Îñòàëüíàÿ ÷àñòü ïëàòåæíîãî îáîðîòà (ïðèìåðíî îäíà ÷åòâåðòü) - ýòî ðàñ÷åòû ïî íåòîâàðíûì îïåðàöèÿì, ò.å. ðàñ÷åòû ïðåäïðèÿòèé è îðãàíèçàöèé ñ áþäæåòîì, îðãàíàìè ãîñóäàðñòâåííîãî è ñîöèàëüíîãî ñòðàõîâàíèÿ, êðåäèòíûìè ó÷ðåæäåíèÿìè, îðãàíàìè óïðàâëåíèÿ, ñóäîì è ò.ä.10,3ð.Ýòî ïîçâîëÿåò ðàñïîëîæèòü âñå èñõîäíûå ïîêàçàòåëè, áàçèðóþùèåñÿ íà ãðóïïàõ ñðàâíåíèÿ, èñ÷èñëåííûõ çà òðè ãîäà, â òàêîì ïîðÿäêå, ÷òîáû äëÿ êàæäîãî áàíêà ìîæíî áûëî èíäèâèäóàëüíî ïðîèçâîäèòü íåîáõîäèìûå ñðàâíåíèÿ åãî äîõîäíîñòè. Óðîâíè, êîòîðûå ðàçäåëÿþò ïîëó÷åííûé ñïèñîê ñðåäíèõ íà 15 % "âûñî÷àéøåãî" óðîâíÿ äîõîäíîñòè, 50 % "âûñîêèõ", 35 % ïîñëåäóþùèõ è íà 15 % "íèçøèõ", èñïîëüçóþòñÿ äëÿ óñòàíîâëåíèÿ èñõîäíûõ ïðîïîðöèé.12.  ñëó÷àå êðåäèòà ïîä àêêðåäèòèâ, ñíÿòèå äåíåã ñî ñ÷åòà ïîêóïàòåëÿ.Ñóùåñòâóåò ðÿä íåäîñòàòêîâ, ñíèæàþùèõ ïðèìåíÿåìîñòü ðåéòèíãîâûõ îöåíîê ïðè îïðåäåëåíèè ôèíàíñîâîãî ñîñòîÿíèÿ êîììåð÷åñêèõ áàíêîâ. Õîòåëîñü áû âûäåëèòü îñíîâíûå: æåñòêîå ïîðíî ôîòî ][/url] sexiãîëûå çíàìåíèòîñòèãèíåêîëîãèÿ ïîðíîïîðíî rarèñòîðèè ïðî èíöåñòðåòðî ïîðíî ôèëüìûïîðíî âèäåî ñîëäàò
Old 12 January 2009, 03:30 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Well I havn't updated this for a few months now and since John is blatantly flaunting his rear end in his Rocket thread it seems only fair I do the same. I have been busy at the rear of the car with absolutely everything removed from the rear suspension. I decided to give the rear end a rub down even though it was in very good condition with no rust at all. I painted the whole back end with POR 15 paint which goes on really nice and looks like it could have been sprayed on even though it is brush painted. The pics really dont do it justice. I done the centre of the underside last year and it still looks perfect.

Before some smart individual says anything the trailing arm is just hanging there thats not how it mounts

Also have some pics of the lateral arms I used last year they are just standard arms which I removed the old bushes had them powder coated and then fitted powerflex poly bushes.

This year though I will be fitting a set of fully adjustable rose jointed lateral and trailing arms along with a few other changes. The car handled really well last year but I hope to get it a bit better still so that I can try and get a little closer to the boys with the big power

I have also removed the powerflex diff carrier bushes I used last year which were a massive improvement over standard and fitted a set of much firmer Whiteline items - cheers Geo :thumbup: These had to be pressed in as opposed to the powerflex ones which are a push fit.

Powerflex

Whiteline even if they are blue

I hope to have the back end completely rebuilt this week and then start on tidying up the inside as well as fitting a new cage and new dash. Then sort the front wheel wells with a lick of POR 15 and some new whiteline bushes for the alloy arm front mountings and a few more suspension tweeks. Might as well add some new brakes so i can brake a bit later as well well it would be rude not to change them since I have already sold the 4 pots fronts and two pot rears. Then the final hurdle will be a few engine tweeks to try and squeeze a little extra power out of the car
Old 12 January 2009, 09:09 AM
S.P.Developments
Scooby Senior

Location: In the workshop or under some one elses car. PROJECT RA 09 IS GO.

Looks like you have been busy over the break, watching with interest, keep up the good work and good luck for the season ahead.

Regards, John
Old 12 January 2009, 12:40 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Thanks John Time is always the issue in the winter trying to fit the time the car demands along with all the other commitments day to day life brings but I am more fortunate than some that I have a good mentor or is it his fault I have no spare time, no social life and am skint
Old 26 January 2009, 11:49 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Thanks Connor hope to update it this week once the back end is completed
Old 27 January 2009, 04:32 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

just spent the last hour reading this, excellent thread! see you at some point this season
Old 28 January 2009, 10:49 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Well the rear end is staring to come together again, thought I better get cracking as the clock is ticking towards March and there is still so much left to do.

The rear is now pretty much complete just got to do some initial adjustment to the adjustable top mounts and the camber bolts to get the car sitting correctly.
The exhaust back box is now on and the new drive shafts slaved in pending the diff returning from being set up.

Once thats done its onto the front which wont take long and then it will be time for the engine and gearbox to come out
Old 28 January 2009, 11:12 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

Them's some Gucci 'Gold' Calipers
Old 28 January 2009, 11:12 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

The car is not progressing as fast as it should have. I must admit I did lose a bit of motivation over Christmas and was working away a lot before that so I am not where i had hoped to be at this point.

I was at the East Ayrshire Car Club annual awards dinner and picked up the remaining awards from The Lowlands Competition which added to the Class win I achieved in the Guyson Scottish Sprint Championship, that was really due to John St winning the road car shield and as such being inelligible for the class win in the Scottish Championship.

This has given me the motivation that will probably be needed to finish the rest of the work required to get the car ready for the middle of March so that I can get the car out at a few test days and perhaps the SIDC track day at Knockhill

Quick Reply: Hill Climb and Sprint RA Project thread eventually