Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

ist scooby,1993 2.2 non turbo, familiar to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2008, 04:20 PM
J J novice
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ist scooby,1993 2.2 non turbo, familiar to anyone?

hi guys n gals, this is the missus of an owner of a ist time scooby. ahh! Personally wasnt interested before but hey am open to change, we had a vectra v6 and swapped it for 2.2 non turbo impreza, now did we do the right thing? pointless asking the old man as he just an excited schoolboy, am sure you can all relate. if anyone has any info regarding this type of car, please let me hear, as i think he might be a bit lost! ssh dont say owt! lol, but on a serious side we both would be interested to hear from others that have had projects, there isnt that much to do really on mine!!, i mean ours check my post in technical. but i wouldnt mind tarting it up a bit.any helpful tips welcome.cheers. jac
Old 22 June 2008, 05:43 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

didnt think they did an na 2.2
Old 22 June 2008, 09:03 PM
J J novice
Scooby Newbie

they didnt, its a 1.6 impreza with a 2.2 lump in it from a legacy. Having problems with idol and misfire at very low revs. any ideas.
Old 22 June 2008, 10:52 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

maff ?
Old 23 June 2008, 12:15 AM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

2.2 litre lump? The one and only very best engine subaru ever built! Should last the odd million miles or two!
www.ultimatesubaru.org should know a bit more about this than the turbonutters round here.
Idle problems? Have you checked the plugs, leads etc? These engines can suffer from leaky rocker cover gaskets, dropping oil onto the plug leads. this will cause a low speed misfire. If you have ANY oil on the leads, replace the gaskets (adjust the tappets, if applicable while you're at it), and the leads.
What have you done already?
Cheers, Nick
Old 23 June 2008, 10:49 AM
J J novice
Scooby Newbie

well just got car and is parked up at min. done all the checks ie and just to be safe replaced plugs and leads. air filter. got induction to fit on so thats next. what is the maff? looks like the old wiring loom off the 1.6 has been used. is this possible or should i change it. also the ecu i don,t know how could i tell? would the car still run?? only thing i can see what is missing is the termostat wiring which should be on the wiring harness but is not. would this give the ecu the wrong signal.?? beasty little engine canny quick. i'll get some pictures soon but will have to learn how to install them up on here.
the car has a great roaring sound/ backbox/ straight through pipe front to back. beasty!!! i just need to get to the bottom of this miss fire and lumpy idol high and low, may i say it has an automatic piston type choke?
Old 03 July 2008, 06:54 PM
J J novice
Scooby Newbie

well after endless thought, questions and banter got a load of timing diagrams and decided to ajust the timing, guess what some person had the timing out. spot on now and what a difference,( who needs a turbo) lol na it was quick as s**t for a non turbo. still got an idle problem though and my sources tell me that there is no temp, sensor connected, the cable is missing so it's going to an auto elecs to get done hopefully i'll of cracked it then, thanks for the advice before about the maff, got that checked and in good order so happy with that, cheers started me in the right direction
Old 03 July 2008, 07:51 PM
J J novice
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by nixxon
2.2 litre lump? The one and only very best engine subaru ever built! Should last the odd million miles or two!
www.ultimatesubaru.org should know a bit more about this than the turbonutters round here.
Idle problems? Have you checked the plugs, leads etc? These engines can suffer from leaky rocker cover gaskets, dropping oil onto the plug leads. this will cause a low speed misfire. If you have ANY oil on the leads, replace the gaskets (adjust the tappets, if applicable while you're at it), and the leads.
What have you done already?
Cheers, Nick
cheers mate this advice and link to website gave me the answer in the timing department about the miss fire, did what you said and all checked out ok about the rocker cover and all, runs spot on just at high revs on tick or very low, was told no thermostate wiring was on car so i'm on with that challenge now as car seems it'll tick over as it's cold when hot, (high revs) fingers crossed this is it. cheers mate