2001 Turbo Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2007, 10:20 PM
carbon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Turbo Conversion

Hi All,

Firstly thought I would say a big thanks to everyone for having so much info in one place! lol, started reading this at 7pm and posting my first post at 10.25! my missus hates it!

Iv got a 2001 Bug Eye, GX. I know a lot of you are going to say sell it and buy a WRX or STi, But i have had the car a fair while now and i have some cash to spend on it. so this is the route i have chosen. Im planning a engine conversion for it on the 16th of August.

Any help would be much appreciated on what i would need and where to get it from!

At the moment i have,

FMIC Kit,
Bailey DumpValve
D2 8 pot brakes and discs (full kit)

What engine is best to use and does anyone have any rough costs for these?

Regards

Ryan
Old 31 July 2007, 04:50 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Thats a big job,

At the very least you looking at full turbo'd engine (turbo etc), Wiring loom and ECU.

Your more than likey have to change the gearbox, flywheel and clutch as yours won't take the power.

You'll also want to think about upgrading the: rear brakes, ARB etc

As you've already said, sell yours and buy a turbo'd one, it will be cheaper

If you differently want to go down this route, buy a written off version 7 and transfer everything onto your car, but the donor car will cost a fare bit

Last edited by DannyBoy007; 31 July 2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 31 July 2007, 05:09 PM
Mo.k
Scooby Regular

That is a big job i would have to agree with Dannyboy and buy a written off car and then start transferring everything over. I would say it is better to buy a turbo scooby and do that up. Good luck with it mate and welcome to scoobynet.
Old 31 July 2007, 10:32 PM
carbon
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guy's.

Today I have managed to purchase a few bits.

I have a WRX STi Engine - 2002 with Prodrive Performance Pack on it.
Engine comes with the following...
Engine, Turbo, ECU, Looms, Manifold's, Power Steering Pump, ABS Pump, Boost solenoid's, Intercooler, Exhaust, Fuel Tank, Fuel Pump, Clocks and some other bits i have forgotton.

I paid around £2100 is that a good deal? the engine has done 22k with FSH, the car has rear end damage unfortunatly bent one of the rear wheels so the rear diff was no good otherwise i would have took the 6sp box centre diff and rear diff.

I have my eye on a set of 330mm 8 pots on ebay at the min. The D2 racing ones?

Has anyone had any experience with these?

The project is all set to begin on the 16th of august now. I will keep a diary and take a lot of pic's.

I expect there to be a few problem's, but i want to do the conversion right and not cut corners. Eventually i will get the 6sp box and diff. All down to availability and cost. At this moment in time the £1000 extra for the diff and box would be wiser spent on stoppers.
Old 31 July 2007, 10:36 PM
carbon
Scooby Regular

Here is the logic behind using my scoob....

Car £4250 last year - Paid for!
Engine £2100
Brakes £1000
Misc Costs inc suspension and conversion costs + engineers report £2000
totals £9350 for 305bhp Sti Spec Scoob.
2002 WRX STi's are still around £12k.

I wouldnt get £4500 for mine (lucky to get £2k in all honesty they dont fetch much)

Plus they dont do Sti's in my god awful Dark Green
Old 01 August 2007, 01:03 AM
Mo.k
Scooby Regular

Sounds like an intersting project are going to keep the looks as they are and go for a street sleeper look ie no bonnet scoop as you have fmic
Old 01 August 2007, 01:10 AM
Mo.k
Scooby Regular

i think £2100 is a good price for all the bits you got, good deal were was that from?
Old 01 August 2007, 10:28 AM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Insurance might be a problem.

I considered a turbo conversion on a 2.5 UK non-turbo legacy as opposed to a 2.5 conversion on my JDM 2.0 turbo legacy. Either route would have ended up with the same car in effect, but the insurers wouldn't consider the turbo conversion as on paper the power increase was too great.
Old 01 August 2007, 11:13 AM
carbon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo.k
Sounds like an intersting project are going to keep the looks as they are and go for a street sleeper look ie no bonnet scoop as you have fmic
Not Really, I have a carbon Bonnet, Going for Carbon Wing's, Carbon Door Skin's, Carbon Roof and Tailgate. unless i paint these? Leave the GX badge in lol. Would 8 pots give it away?

Im doing most of the carbon Work myself. I will get some pics of it up tonight If I get done on time.

Insurance isnt a problem, my insurance company will insure the car with an engineers report, and details of the old engine (ie what car it came from - as they work out the group from that)

Cit-Ren LTd sorted me out the engine. Mainly do Renault and Cit Parts but are breaking a few impreza's. They have a P1 coming in on Friday so I will get some details of whats left on it and post on here. and a UK300 next week.
Old 12 August 2007, 04:21 PM
carbon
Scooby Regular

the engine is bein delivered tomorrow.... cant wait to get it started now.

one question i have is... will i need the key's from the car who's engine I now have? with swapping the ecu and loom etc i didnt know if the alarm would be a problem etc.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 17 August 2007, 09:33 AM
carbon
Scooby Regular

well stripped out the entire engine and gearbox yesterday. the lump is here and looks in good order.
having a few wiring problems at the min, looks like the whole car loom will have to be replaced. the plugs on the 2.0na and sti engine are at different sides and are compleatly different.

Gearbox is the same, Clutch is different. Thanks to Subaru, iv got a genuine STi clutch, bearing and plate coming for £260ish tomorrow. So im hopefull that the standard five speed box will cope.

started to cut away for the FMIC, cut the front cross member and taken out the fog lights (sold them to fund other stuff!)

looks like all the dash will have to come out for the wiring loom to be swapped.

changed all the belts too whilst engine is out.

Any recomendations for plug's? and Oil, changing those today.