Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

running gear

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2003, 03:16 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a project in mind and was wondering has anyone transfered the full running gear from a subaru into any other car i know it sounds stupid but just think of the grin factor running something that people dont expect to go fast.

i have a damaged car to take the parts from thats why im asking if anyone has done it before as i wondered if i would have any hastle!!
Old 07 July 2003, 04:53 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

How do you define hassle? A project of that sort's always going to have its awkward moments. How many of them would depend overwhelmingly on what the base car was going to be. Obviously you need something with a big enough engine bay and transmission tunnel for the engine and box, and enough room at the back for the diff and any subframe you use.

Beyond that you'd have to ask yourself whether you were going to keep the donor car's suspension, or graft the Subaru one in. Either way, the more you plan, the easier the job itself is going to be.

The general point has to be made that as most modern cars don't have longitudinally oriented flat four engines with inline longitudinal gearboxes, fitting it all in is going to be the biggest issue.
Old 07 July 2003, 05:13 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its been done with a porsche box into a beetle..

David
Old 07 July 2003, 05:19 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

A Focus rally car has had the Scooby running gear transfered into it, it was in CCC a few months ago.
Old 07 July 2003, 07:06 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

How about transplanting it into an MR2 but stick 2 scooby engines in!
Old 08 July 2003, 12:13 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I have a car in mind but i dont want to tell you just yet for fear of a slagging i have measured up and there is plenty room for it all to fit although some cut and shut will be needed here and there.
my main concern is with the electrics im not scared to tackle them but dont know if the bits of loom i need will come out seperately or not if anyone can tell me if the whole engine electric system incl. ecu loom can be removed easily that would help also the rear suspension struts are too long but i have a couple off ideas for that
i want to use as much off the running gear as possible.
Old 08 July 2003, 12:17 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Not another Nova wannabe.......

Old 08 July 2003, 08:27 AM
KungFuMonkey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Conversions are great fun. Im currently in the middle of making a 4x4 talbot sunbeam.

I cheated a bit and rather than fabricate my own mounts etc, i used the floorpan from a sierra 4x4 with the sunbeam shell welded on top. Had to cut something like 8 inches out the floorpan to do it.

Its not impossible it just takes time and a little bit on ingenuity (spelling?) at times.

I considered using a scooby engine and drive train first, but with the boxer engine it would have required a space frame front end on the sunbeam to still get in at the bits. Still ive got another couple of sunbeam shells lying around so i may try that next.

Old 08 July 2003, 04:50 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

well off!!
Old 08 July 2003, 04:55 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

i thought about the sierra but the subaru is much better put together the boxer engine is very wide though so is the project car as i said the electrics are what i need to know about space for all the bits is not a problem i may have to lengthen the prop though!
Old 09 July 2003, 03:19 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

well i need a big car as i have 6 kids but they all love the subaru so i have looked at various family estates mpvs etc but the only one which makes any sense is please no stick!!its all going in a peugeot 505 family estate!
i have run these for many years i already have a v6 one but i want the gripppppp of the subaru if anyone has ever looked at one of these tanks they will know there is lots of room but the rear suspension is a bit unusual and i dont know the best way to get the subaru stuff in but im not scared to try!
The weights are roughly the same too so should drive similarly
so thats the plan should get started next month have to make space first.
im in cumbernauld
Old 10 July 2003, 11:19 AM
KungFuMonkey
Scooby Regular

Certainly an intersting Choice. Thats always what makes it so much fun when you just disapear off into the distance and leave everyone standing saying "what the f**ks in that!".

Does the 505 estate use torsion bar rear supension? If so you'll need to either fabricate or cut and weld in some suspension turrets. You'd also have to amke a diff / rear cradel mount under the floor of the back end. I always find that figuring out and making these things is the best part.

Will certainly be intersting when its done. Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

If your badly in need of a hand at soem point let me know, im only up in stirling.

Jono
Old 07 August 2003, 08:30 AM
KungFuMonkey
Scooby Regular

Edited cos i read your description and i think my guess was off

[Edited by KungFuMonkey - 7/8/2003 12:42:57 PM]
Old 11 August 2003, 11:29 PM
c2scoops2
Scooby Newbie

i had thought about a conversion into a mk1 golf gti (using a justy chasis )sure its about the same size.any ideas on that one?
stephen
Old 12 August 2003, 11:16 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
A lot of work.. ive looked, and possibly will do it if I can make a rollover jig.. (oh and finance the project )

David
Old 12 August 2003, 06:32 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

yes finance is ok i have 5k to play with just hope i dont get carried away like you

back suspension is my main problem everything else will fit just!

dont know what ecu to use should i keep the origional or get something newer?
Old 12 August 2003, 06:35 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

stick with an early ecu and loom..

rear suspension.. just weld the back end of a wagon in.

David
Old 12 August 2003, 06:50 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I cant weld the rear end in as i need the seven seats and the struts would go up your butt!
thought about converting to top wishbones and coilovers not sure yet if that would work
can the loom for the ecu be seperated from the rest easily or is it a days work?
Old 13 August 2003, 01:36 PM
KungFuMonkey
Scooby Regular

Can you not get the rear floor pan and inner rear wings from the scoob and weld them into the pug? Would this not leave you enough room for the seats?

My sunbeam 4x4 comming on well. Im just welding the underside of the floorpan and the cage in at the moment.

Jono
Old 13 August 2003, 02:26 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

ecu would be a day at least.

I meant just use suspension
Old 13 August 2003, 04:24 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

cant use the struts as pugs suspension is all underfloor to make room for seats and i need the seats thats the whole point

guess i better make a day free for stripping the loom then!!

getting started this week stripping scoob
Old 07 September 2003, 02:13 PM
KungFuMonkey
Scooby Regular

Sierra's also have a big benefit on the wiring front.

The loom that controlls the engine is seperate from the rest of the car.

Big advantage as i can use the sunbeam loom for the lights etc, and the sierra loom for the engine.

Sierra isnt the best starting point (the rear swing arm suspension is really poor to start with!) but this one's just a trial. Next one will be a lot different.

Are you going to give us a clue what the scooby gears going in? I discounted the scooby gear as there wasnt enough room to get into engine without fabricating a space frame front end, although i might do this for the next one, you knever know.

Where about in Scotland are you based?

Jono

[Edited by KungFuMonkey - 7/9/2003 2:16:43 PM]
Old 20 October 2003, 04:21 AM
aspera
Scooby Newbie

Talking

"How about transplanting it into an MR2 but stick 2 scooby engines in!"

Well, getting just one in would be the hard part. Even with the trunk area hollowed out on a Mk2 MR2, the transmission would extend past the rear bumper. The tranny wouldn't like sending all of the torque to just two wheels either. Bang! Of course the rear subframe would be a major pain.

Putting the EJ in the front would require some heavy cutting, but might be doable. Luckily the MR2 has a large transmission tunnel once the gas tank is removed. This tunnel is still too narrow up front, but that area would be seeing major modification anyway.

The best way to do it would be to "front half" the Deuce like some of our US muscle cars. That way you get rid of lots of heavy metal, and get a whole new suspension/brakes/steering rack at the same time.

The rear would be the fun part. Find some way to mount the diff and make custom halfshafts. Use all of the extra space (where the engine used to be) to mount stuff like radiators, mufflers, fuel cell, etc. An even better way to do it would be to use, say, a Corvette IRS. The MR2 rear knuckles are cast iron and very, very heavy.

Old 28 October 2003, 12:01 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

and i thought i had lost the plot