Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Alfa Romeo GT JTD

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2013, 06:42 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa Romeo GT JTD

Am after a diesel for c.£4.5k and so far, the only ones that I like the styling of are an A3 S Line or an Alfa GT. The Audi looks nice from the outside but is a bit boring, whilst the Alfa has a great interior.

The Alfa also has the benefit of not having a DPF filter.

Anyone owned one of these and got any views?
Old 08 October 2013, 07:46 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

do like these
Old 08 October 2013, 07:53 PM
abre
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had an Alfa 147 JTDm which has the same chassis as the GT. It was a fantastic car, I've had 2 Alfa's and contrary to popular belief they were both reliable, well built and a real pleasure to drive. I'd advise you go for a test drive of both and make a decision based on your heart not your head! Also visit Alfaowner.com and see what they say...
Andrew

Oh and the JTDm engine is a real gem!

Last edited by abre; 08 October 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08 October 2013, 09:10 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abre
I had an Alfa 147 JTDm which has the same chassis as the GT. It was a fantastic car, I've had 2 Alfa's and contrary to popular belief they were both reliable, well built and a real pleasure to drive. I'd advise you go for a test drive of both and make a decision based on your heart not your head! Also visit Alfaowner.com and see what they say...
Andrew

Oh and the JTDm engine is a real gem!
So nice to see positive comments and actual owner reviews, I was expecting this to descend into the usual 'alfa = unreliable' garbage. Every car is unreliable if you search the internet enough!

I am quite keen on the 147 too. The main selling point to me is the cabin looks a nice place, especially for the price and versus to competition at that price, and obviously the shared cabin makes it a tough call between them.

Do you know much about the Ducati edition 147?
Old 08 October 2013, 09:20 PM
abre
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I remember correctly the Ducati version had the Q2 LSD and 170bhp I'd look for a FSH as they do need looking after, but then it's no different to a Subaru
Old 08 October 2013, 09:23 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abre
If I remember correctly the Ducati version had the Q2 LSD and 170bhp I'd look for a FSH as they do need looking after, but then it's no different to a Subaru
Exactly, I would look for a thorough history on any car I buy. Another attraction is the lack of the DPF in the JTD engine, certainly less to go wrong! Am off to search 147 Ducati in the classifieds!
Old 08 October 2013, 11:05 PM
MichaelW
Scooby Regular

I have an Alfa 147JTD that I use daily. I've done 40k in just under two years and it returns 51mpg and the only problem I've had is a split intercooler pipe. These are expensive to replace but I replaced it with a length of stainless pipe for a fraction of the cost. It's really comfortable for long journeys, it picks up really well and it's really good on tyre wear.
Old 10 October 2013, 08:33 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

One of my friends has has a Black Edition JTD for a few years; 57n plate iirc. Looks beautiful, until he starts it and then sounds like a tractor

Interior is lovely but has had quite a few bits just fall off...external door handles being the most entertaining
Old 10 October 2013, 01:09 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

The GT is a nice car, The engine is a peach, loads of grunt and around 45mpg, I have done 60000 miles in my 147 with the JTDM engine and its been ultra reliable, Try for full history, belts must be done at 72000, EGR valve will prob need a clean, and the front suspension can be a bit squeky when worn, find a good local alfa indie and you won't be dissappointed.Stick to the 17 inch wheels as any larger dia gets a bit thumpy,

Last edited by greenonedave; 10 October 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10 October 2013, 11:04 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a 2012 audi A3 sline tdi specced to the hilt loan car for 2 days and I couldnt believe how much better my 12year old 140K 147 was compared to it. The alfa is leagues ahead in terms of driver enjoyment and handling plus the plastics used for the interior of the audi are shameful for such an expensive car.

A3's are seriously disappointing cars regardless of what engine they shoehorn into it.
Old 20 October 2013, 02:02 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I like the GT but its got the 147 interior

if you can, get a brera

I had a Fiat Bravo jtd for a few days recently and after getting over the initial numb ride I liked it
Liked the blue&me thing, reads your texts out etc
JTD 150 1.9s, don't think they have DPF and they are quite cheap

Last edited by LeeMac; 20 October 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01 November 2013, 06:38 PM
gmangt4
Scooby Newbie

We had one for a year, lusso spec, red leather, etc. Had to trade it in, bits would just fall off it, wing indicators fell off during washing, door handles fell off, wing mirror fell off, glove box handle fell off. Stonking engine but we replaced the EGR valve, water pump, all belts/tensioners, thermostat, glow plugs, DMF+clutch, front squeaky wishbones, rear ARB, rear wheel bearings.

If your used to jap reliability then it will be a shock, in the end we gave up but did love driving it, when remapped it went like stink and devoured front tyres!
Don't wear big boots on test drive as even my wifes size 5 can press both accel and brake pedals together until you get used to it......also rear visibilty used make my neck ache trying to use the rear view mirror.