Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Any knowledge or experience of Toyota Hilux or Nissan Navaras?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2013, 10:46 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any knowledge or experience of Toyota Hilux or Nissan Navaras?

I am looking into getting a a double cab (4 seater) pick up truck. Anyone willing to share experiences or knowledge of any. To be used recreationally not as a work horse. Priced between 8-12k.
Andrew
Old 31 March 2013, 04:20 PM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from a swb shogun to nissan pathfinder and i love it. Go for the higher spec models. You will not be dissapointed with a navarna
Old 31 March 2013, 05:07 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

My father has had an imported Toyota Hilux Vigo and currently owns a Hilux Invincible.

Both from new with big double cabs, and massive amounts of space (much more than the common L200 and Navara). We looked at the other trucks and they just didn't seem as beefy as the Hilux. I remember the Navara being quite low to the ground, whereas with the Hilux it seems as if you're stepping up into it. The interior is very good for a modern truck; built-in sat nav, leather seats, mobile connectivity, etc etc..

Never had any problems with either of them, other than the Vigo used to mist up a lot but we think it was something to do with it being an import and not having a great ventilation system. Don't have this problem with the Invincible.

My Father went for an automatic this time with the Invincible and it pulls our stock trailer very well although I doubt you'll ever be towing with yours.

Last edited by LSherratt; 31 March 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 31 March 2013, 05:38 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

We have a 55 reg navara d40 aventura had it a year got it with 60k miles but within a few months needed new clucth and duel mass flywheel this let go while towing a big trailer full of hay and then it needed two front wheel bearings £190 each BUT as a whole very good truck good power for towing the 4x4 system is a bit of a pain as it has a centre diff lock so in 4x4 don't turn hard on solid ground
Old 31 March 2013, 05:54 PM
lgtuk
Scooby Regular

We have hilux as work trucks from base model to the invincible nice trucks often load them to the roof and go off road with no problems.

I was looking at nivara as they look the nicest pickup but googled no end of problems that put me off.
Old 31 March 2013, 06:34 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nirvarnas chassis rust, wheel bearings, clutches, and drive train problems, avoid like the plague, a mate with a small holding and horses bought one and spent a fortune on it inside a year.

Toyota just does what it says on the tin.

The Isuzu was the daddy for a number of years in all the tests, and if my 1998 3.1TD Trooper is anything to go by then they are the true invincible, 7yrs lived off the beaten track in the hills / mountains of Croatia, back and forth to UK like a yo yo, towed a boat every week end for the first 5yrs, and a 4 berth caravan at up to 100mph pulled a fair few cars out of ditches and fields and regularly gets the Paris Dakar treatment, one clutch @£130, one exhaust, a rubber on clutch master cylinder and a fair few sets of tyres, still pulls like a train, oh and i stuck it on it's roof a few yrs ago and had to get a new screen.
Old 31 March 2013, 06:49 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Some pretty cool stories. Thanks everyone for sheddingsome light on the trucks.

Anyone know where i can find out more on the Hilux?

Thanks again

Andrew
Old 10 April 2013, 08:47 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

what about an isuzu rodeo pick up? the navara i do like (the horror stories i dont!) the rodeo looks nice, thinking of getting something like this next year if i get my new job...
Old 10 April 2013, 11:56 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

My brother had a hilux import for several years and it was very tough and didn't have any problems. It drank fuel but I guess all these vehicles your looking at will