Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

We got any Porsche Boxster S owners on here?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2002, 05:05 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thinking what I'd like next. I'd be interested to hear about handling and performance comparisons with your old scoob, although I appreciate its a totally different type of car.

Old 16 May 2002, 05:16 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

why you changing to a slower car
spose build quality & looks make up for that a bit.

shunty
Old 16 May 2002, 05:32 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

nah mate, changed from MY00 to M3EVO, then I dunno what...

Boxster S is on the list, but given how much I miss the Scoob I was really tempted to get a new STI in black, with Eibachs and 18"OZ.

Now I've heard the facelifted new scoob is being previewed in Geneva in September and on sale in Jan so now I don't know WHAT to get.

I suppose now its summer, an open top like the porker would be nice.

[Edited by DazV - 5/16/2002 5:33:30 PM]
Old 16 May 2002, 09:51 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

went out for a ride in a boxster s a few weeks ago, lovely looking/sounding motor. Turned a lot of heads...
didn't feel as fast as my motor though...I know it's not just about the speed but this one cost £48k fully loaded

he floored it in first 3 gears (4000 miles on clock), turned & looked at me & said "what do ya think then (beaming from ear-2ear)
not bad I said but not as fast as MY95 Scooby

he looked gutted.
There was a bit of a story behind that though, he was an arrogant ******, & slated my motor big style.
He backed out of a head-2-head with me btw, you might remember the thread from 4 weeks ago

shunty
Old 16 May 2002, 11:24 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

heh, nice story.

Must admit my M3EVO didn't feel as fast as my Scooby either, but on paper the M3EVO is the quicker car - I think it must be the linear power delivery which makes it feel slow.

I do really miss the PUNCH of my scoob though and the all weather grip was fantastic compared to the relatively crappy grip of the M3, especially in the wet.

Is the boxster s as fast on paper as your scoob ?

-DV

Old 17 May 2002, 09:13 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Smile

mine (standard) is about same on paper as the "s", 5.8 to 60 & 14.5 to 100 IMHO (apart from top end that is)
but in fairness to the porsche mine is modded....
so, although I havn't been timed properly, mine's running 278bhp & 245 llb's so I would expect 5 to 60 & 13ish to 100 ?
I feel a bit like the nova boys, with a 1.3 nova shell with a 2 litre courtney conversion underneath, saying I can beat a scooby
I love porsches, but only the Carrerra does it for me, I would rather spend £40-50k on a used Carrerra 4 any day (if I had the cash that is)

shunty
Old 17 May 2002, 09:40 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

I remeber doing a search for the performance figures that stated that the boxster s was around 15 seconds to 100.

just found this:

http://www.realdriver.com/road_tests/ruf_3400s/ruf_3400s.php

that's a bit scary the one I was in didn't feel as fast, I know what you mean about power delivery being smooth, but we went on a road I also use so I could compare much better.

shunty
Old 17 May 2002, 10:49 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

So you took it on the twisties, and the porsche chassis didn't feel as good as the scoobs ? I suppose there's no subsitute for the comfort/confidence factor of AWD when you're chucking a car about.
Old 17 May 2002, 02:08 PM
Bob.C
Scooby Regular

Smile

Currently have both uk300PPP & S. Totally different cars to drive from a drivers point of view the Boxster S is by far a more involving car to drive and as a result is a harder car to drive well. The subaru is a lot more sure footed and reassuring for throwing about especially for the roads up here. Power delivery of boxster is a lot more uniform and pulls continually compared to the scooby, it also feels quicker than MY01. Choice subaru for scottish B class roads and in the wet, S for track and sunny days.
Old 17 May 2002, 03:12 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

DazV my mate has just sold his MY00 turbo and bought a boxter (not an S.) and wishes he had kept the scoob i think its for sale if your intrested Silver, R reg, 18" wheels and a silver hardtop for it aswell!
Old 17 May 2002, 03:18 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Might as well get an special edition MX5. Only enthusiasts can tell the difference from a distance when parked nose to tail! (Or maybe it's my terrible eyesight).

Cheap convertible and the difference between the MX and Boxster would leave enough pocket change to get another Scoob. Twice the fun.
Old 17 May 2002, 04:35 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Mr Manchester - cheers, but I wouldn't bother with the standard boxster - would HAVE to be the 's'

Have to say I agree with Shunty aout the Carrera 4 too.
Old 17 May 2002, 06:50 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Bob C - "Power delivery of boxster is a lot more uniform and pulls continually compared to the scooby, it also feels quicker than MY01. "

your not kidding there mate, but bear in mind that the MY01 (if it's a UK model) is about 3 seconds slower to 100 than the classic models, now that's a lot of road

shunty
Old 17 May 2002, 10:18 PM
Bob.C
Scooby Regular

DazV

Have a look over at http://www.986board.com/board/986board.htm, american site but quite a few brits about and excellent source of info.

PS having "graduated" from a boxster 2.5, do not consider anything less than the 3.2 S.
PS The residuals are extremely good on the Porsche.

Shunty scooby is Prodrive UK 300, previously had a MY98 with Scoobysport bits, I agree re the difference in the models.
Old 17 May 2002, 10:32 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

cheers Bob
Old 17 May 2002, 11:04 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bob C - you've obviously done well for yourself (director in your profile), UK300 & Boxster S...nice one
mind you, where do you fit the golf clubs in the porsche

shunty
Old 18 May 2002, 12:19 AM
Dales
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had the pleasure of borrowing an S for 3 months and ran alongside my MY00. Thoughts at the time were that it wasn't as fast as the Scooby, but I think it is very deceptive due to power delivery; probably quicker top end (especially once wound up to highish speeds).

- Surprisingly refined on the motorway (6 gears = 3200 rpm at 90mph)
- Hood squeaks like mad when up
- Brakes stunning
- steering stunning

Handling? well to be honest a bit scary. If I was speccing one up I'd get the PSM as a safety net unless you are a bit of a pro behind the wheel. They seem very unforgiving compared to the scoob even in the dry.

On a typical country road, I could drive the scooby much faster, and enjoy it more - but could just be my Joe Average driving skills. You need to be very sensitive with throttle, brake and steering inputs.

Overall a lovely car, especially at this time of year, but on a cold winters morning after you've scraped the ice of the plastic rear window and not relishing the thought of driving it on potentially icy roads I wouldn't be so sure....

Dales
Old 18 May 2002, 03:52 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Good comments Dales.
Old 20 May 2002, 11:55 AM
Lee M
Scooby Regular

I've had a MY00 'non S' Boxster for a year now and if its straight line performance you are looking for then even a Boxster S will leave you feeling a little short changed..... get a TVR. However every other part single part of the Boxster ownership is a joy. So reliable, very practical for a 2 seater roadster, and just superb to drive over a challenging road. They sound a little flat as standard but whip the cats off, get rid off the standard Porsche exhaust and stick on a Evolution air induction kit and they sound awesome (even a scooby like rumble during when you floor it at low revs) . Even with silly big 19' 265 yokohamas and traction control mine does get a bit lively in greasy conditions so get the PSM option. Other than that go easy on the options and the residuals are superb. A really great car that I couldn't recomend highly enough... if you don't believe me, read the road tests for some serious praise! Also great fun on tracks if you like that sort of thing, and when the roof is down on a sunny day you will just love it. Hope this helps.
Old 20 May 2002, 12:01 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Cheers Lee.

So whats the difference between traction control and "PSM" ?
Old 20 May 2002, 02:16 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

PSM is a stability control (like the Subaru's VDC or BM's DSC), & it acts on all 4 wheels to keep the car from oversteer or understeer.
TC only acts on driven wheels & it only controls wheelspin.
PSM is probably the least intrusive of the stability controls out there, & it can be completely switched off. It is known that, for a 996 turbo at least, the car is actually faster with PSM on, regardless of conditions.
Old 20 May 2002, 02:59 PM
Lee M
Scooby Regular

Traction control just works on cutting the power to the rear wheels where as PSM (Porsche Stability Management I think!! ) moniters all four wheels individually and not only cuts power but also uses the brakes to slow the car at it sees fit to prevent a spin. Thats how I understand it anyway.

[Edited by Lee M - 5/20/2002 3:00:45 PM]
Old 20 May 2002, 03:07 PM
Lee M
Scooby Regular

Sorry clarence, didn't see you had already answered the question perfectly!